Fabia power steering problems?

Tech1e

Thank you to all the posts on here, i definately now know my sensor is wonky, My question is , Is there an idiots guide anywhere on here about how to locate the sensor ? i presume the wheelarch liner comes off but where do I go from there. any advise will be much appreciated.

1.4 v16v

Hi there

I'm new to the forum and my wife's mark 1 Fabia 1.9TDI power steering light came on a couple of months ago. The power steering still works, but does get very heavy at parking speeds. I took it to Skoda who diagnosed faulty steering sensor(which they replaced) & they said the battery was also faulty as the fault code low battery voltage was indicated, so light still on. The battery is just over a year old and the car starts every time. I rang the battery supplier to discuss. They said check if there is a current drain. I put a meter In series with the battery and it was reading approx. 120ma. I then started pulling fuses one at a time & when I pulled fuse 43-central control unit, the current draw dropped to 20ma. I took it back to Skoda who then confirmed my diagnosis! but said the unit is behind the dashboard & want exactly £500 to replace the unit inc labour. I smell a rip off (unless this unit is very expensive) Is this unit easy to get at and if I bought it, would I need VAGCOM? to reset fault codes?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards

David Collins

Hi there

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry I've just noticed them. No I didn't. Should I do that, and what should happen?

Just to advise that after a run and if the car was started again fairly soon after, the power steering light went out .If the car was left for a while(hour or so), the light stayed on when starting. However going for a run doesn't seem to make a difference now.

I've decided to try a new VARTA battery, as I'm not convinced the battery I bought 18 months ago is of the greatest quality. It's not a named brand-ie Bosch Varta, Exide etc. It's 72AH & 680 CCA. The car has always started. It's a diesel.

Took the car to an auto electrician today. There is only one fault in the memory and it appears to be the sensor that Skoda replaced in April! I've spoken to the service manager at Skoda today & they have ordered a replacement sensor. Hopefully this will put this ongoing problem to bed!!

• 1 month later...

had the flickering lights and pas light coming off and on ,as it had the original battery in it thought that may be a good place to start but it made no difference, changed the steering angle sensor for the revised one and hey presto all pas related issues have vanished working fine now :)

• 4 weeks later...

So. I'm still having big, big troubles with my PAS.

Problem: No power steering at all. Dashboard warning lights up.

Attempts to fix it:

- Check fuses

- Check negative battery lead

- Check alternator wire

- Removed spongy wet pump jacket

- Install refurbished pump

- Install new sensor (metal)

We are still getting this error on the VAG: "Implausible signal".

Anybody has any idea? According to the Skoda workshop, there is no programming required when installing a new pump in this Fabia I (2003).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all this happened to me about 2 years ago. 

dont know if this is of any use to anyone but jeez if I'd know this in the begining i would have married them for the info. 

Symptons - ABS light, Power steering light, engine light. (particularly apparnent in wet weather) Loss of power steering. 

What i tried  - all of the above basically but didnt change anything except the abs sensors. Ran a diagnostics and reset everything a few times but nothing worked and i couldnt find any fault. 

After hours / days / weeks of inspection I finally discovered the cause. Behind the OS wheel the abs cable had lost its last clip (which are ****) holding it to the wheel arch. This for the record is almost impossible to spot as the cable hangs barely a 1/2" out of place. This caused a minute fracture (presumably from friction against the wheel) in the cable which in turn led to corrosion along the inside of the cable and setting the ABS light off. This for some reason had an effect on the power steering sensor etc. 

Unfortunatly this cable or the plug cannot be replaced by a new part as it goes directly into the loom... feel free to enter that world but id sooner live with it than that. 

To fix - Took away the wheel arch and cut away as much of the cable as I could and whilst still leaving a good few inches to work with. replaced this with good quality 2 core speaker cable. Soldered the ends and shrink wrapped over. Taped the lot back over and reset the codes. I also made my own wheelach clip with some cable ties, screws and d bracket. 

she worked fine until about a week ago, but i think this time its the PAS as it looks knackered. But still worked for 2 years and passed to MOT's. 

Edited by valleyVRS

Newbie here, been lurking for a while but joined coz you lot are so good to me. You have helped with heaps of stuff. Thanks.

However I cant a pictorial that works for changing the PAS sensor, the VRS.com doesnt work anymore :(

checked the voltage all good,

so going for the sensor.

My '03 Fabia had worsening PAS problems for a couple of years - at first on very cold days, then most of the winter.  Usually the warning light would come on and the steering would be heavy.  Once in a while it would sort itself out after a few seconds but usually I had to drive 50 - 100 yards and then turn the engine off and back on, and it then it would be fine.  Last winter I put a new battery in the car, and since that day it has never happened once.  I am convinced that low output from the battery (which would be even lower on cold days as it required more power to turn the cold engine) was the cause.  So, if you have similar symptoms, check your battery output is good before spending time and money on other things.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately my first post as a member is about PAS problems. I have just purchased an '04 vrs. Been happily driving for the past month without any troubles however in the last few days my PAS has started to play up and this morning hey presto PAS light stays on. Looking through previous comments I have picked up little bits of info.

I have checked my PAS oil and discovered that it is bone dry, Could this be a cheap fix with just some oil or am I looking at the more expensive option of going down previously mentioned routes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

Daniel if it's bone dry first port of call is the TRE gaiters on the rack to check for leaks as the fluid has gone somewhere. Refilling pump will only be temporary repair.

Colzie64

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Daniel if it's bone dry first port of call is the TRE gaiters on the rack to check for leaks as the fluid has gone somewhere. Refilling pump will only be temporary repair.

Colzie64

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I agree, but refilling the pump means Daniel now has fluid to leak out. The system detects over-temperature at the pump - not fluid level. The previous fluid may have dripped away some time ago.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, just dragging this thread up again to help keep PAS issues on fabias findable.

I am 99% sure I need to replace the pump. Mine is a TRW 6Q0 423 371 but have come across variations on this theme as follows...........

6R0 423 371

6Q0 423 156

6R0 423 156

Can anyone tell me if I need to find the exact same number or will any of those do the job? 

Well, 6Q is the fabia chassis one, but that's not saying one of the others which might be polo or ibiza wouldn't work.  I doubt many people on here would know exactly just based on a few part numbers. :)

Brilliant thats actually very helpful thanks. I did wonder if that was a number for the reservoir, that code from the side of the reservoir is the only thing thats readable on my pump. I had a trawl through ebay and found pumps advertised with the 371 number so thought maybe is was a pump number after all but now I assume those sellers have all done the same thing as me and read the side of the reservoir.

So my pump is most likely a 6Q0 423 156 (letter?) at an edumacated guesstimation!

It doesnt help on the confusion front when you come across ads like this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-TRW-AUDI-A2-LUPO-IBIZA-CORDOBA-SKODA-FABIA-/321234031122?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4acb0a5212#ht_13789wt_1162

Without knowing the number of my pump and not knowing for sure if other variants will work it's quite hard to know what to do. Given how many people struggle with this situation I was hoping that some may have some experience/knowledge of what all these variants are and indeed lots of second hand pumps only have the reservoir number available to see so who knows what you are actually buying.

On top of this I've been and had it scanned twice, first time...... err I think you need to start by changing the column! Second time......."the pump ecu is getting power but no response from it what so ever". His vcds would not read the angle sensor bit either which he thought may be because the car is too old. I have a little basic VAG scanner myself and it wont read the steering assist in any way shape or form but then my car (diesel ADT engine) is 2001/2 so may not be fully compliant anyway being pre 2006 so who knows????? It's a 6Y5 if that helps at all but to be honest I havent got my head around what all this 6Y bla bla stuff means anyway.

If I have enough time today I'll take the pump off and pop the top off just in case its a simple circuit board repair job. Dont know what else to try other than start buying random pumps in the hope they can be persuaded to talk to my car.

6Y5 means it's a Fabia Estate.

A 6R0 nnn nnn pump won't work. These only appeared on later cars such as 2008 9N3.

KOYO pumps won't fit either as your one is a TRW.

I'm 99% certain 6Q0 423 156 is the correct pump (IIRC, 6Q0 423 155 AE is the same pump with mountings).