1.4 TDI Fabia estate -timing belt

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind lending a thought or two. I'm considering this car:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201152376287296

Been to see it and looks tidy enough. Main concern is the timing belt - none of the service history suggests it's been done ever. It's got 80,000 miles on the clock. The service book suggest the timing belt (or "toothed belt" as it says) should be done at 100,000 miles - but that doesn't seem right. I know the 1.9TDI is 60K/4 years. Any one know for sure what it is on this engine?

Other points: clutch had a high biting point, brake pedal had fair bit of travel, uneven wear on the front brake pads (one looked close to needing replacement).

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by mattiker

You certainly seem to have had a thorough look at the car, so the advice I'd give would depend a lot on how long you plan to keep the car for.

On the 1.9s, the interval is either 60k / 4 years, or 72k / 4 years depending when the car was built. Having said this, my service booklet says check at 80k and replace at 100k IIRC, so if the car hadn't been serviced at a dealer, the TSB that highlighted the change won't have been read or actioned.

But the fact the cambelt may be overdue isn't necessarily cause for concern in itself, in the same way as keeping the oil or coolant in for too long would be. Even if it HAS been done at 60k / 4 years, you'd need a new one in 18-24 months or 40k, so if the car's a keeper, you might want to consider putting the money aside to get it done as soon as you've bought it anyway, and then you can run the car for at least 60k / 4 years without worry.

Looks nice. Belt doesn't matter until it jumps a cog or breaks, so just get the belt done immediately and no problem (about £300)

Our hatchback - same age - has 135K and is a great machine. Many Fabia clutches seem high compared to other cars so this by itself isn't a worry. New pads (and maybe discs if it has been stood and they've corroded) easy and fairly cheap DIY. Change the brake fluid - you'll be amazed what horrible stuff comes out! Best of luck.

My 1.4TDi hatch is 4yrs/63k - I got mine done last year by the local Skoda dealer with an MOT and it came out around £400 for the lot, so likely not a dealbreaker and if you do buy and shell out to get it done you'll have peace of mind that it's really been done and will give you no trouble for the next few years.