Tomdeswrig

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Car:2.0l TDI Elegance Estate

Posted 09 January 2011 - 17:49

Hi

I need to replace the mirror glass on my octy II (2005) However the heated element cables are really short and it looks like I may need to remove the shell/case. I've looked on this site but can't find any of the links to a more pictorial guide that actually work.

Can anyone help with clear instructions of a working link to a pictorial website.

Thanks

#2 kenbo

kenbo

Finding my Feet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 20:37

I cannot remember exact details, try this: the glass will prise off with care, and then you should be able to disconnect the terminals from the back of the mirror. If not, you will be able to see several screws, one of which is at an awkward angle and these will release the front cover. Sorry I cannot be more specific, almost a year since I did this job.

#3 mannyo

mannyo

Now where's that petrol station

• Super Moderators
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 20:47

The cover is just clipped on with 3 clips, to access them remove the mirror by gently pulling at the sides and the clips holding it in place should just release, once the mirror is lose the clips are obvious.

#4 Tomdeswrig

Tomdeswrig

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Car:2.0l TDI Elegance Estate

Posted 09 January 2011 - 21:00

I have a prob with the glass - I broke it by gently prising it off. Wanted to do this to check the heated element connections as it wasn't working as well!!! I have stripped and rebuilt a Golf 5 mirror before with no probs, but the octy is being a sod!!! I have order a replacement mirror but due to the heater connection being so short I wanted to remove cover before removing mirror to get better access to them.

I try lifting if I can get to the clips from the front side.

Thanks

#5 kenbo

kenbo

Finding my Feet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 00:38

My car is an Octavia 2 and I certainly remember that I had to unclip the mirror first and then remove the cover which was retained by at least 2 screws. I was actually trying to get access to the indicator bulb in the housing.

The mirror wires on your car should be long enough, perhaps need released or pulled a bit.

#6 The Ships Cat

The Ships Cat

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Car:Was an 09 Octavia vRS with 158,000mls

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:26

As Kenbo says mirror has to come out first to get to screws.