How do you replace them Parking sensors

jimmyf

Hi,

Having problemswith my Suberbs parking sensors. Seems to be a common problem. HAd 1 replaced last year, cost over £100 and a new garage man ( my old one has since died , RIP ) has told me it will cost upwards of £250 as there are 2 sensors gone. I want to have a go at this myself. If memory serves me correctly the last guy didnt have to remove the bumper but this new guy says it has to come off. Any one have any pics of how to do this job? I can get at all the sensors underneath the bumper with my hand so I can't imagine why the bumper would have to come off. Just don't know how to shimmy them out. ( I might even go for a whole new Ultra sonic system as I can get the 4 sensors and Unit for £40 ) but getting the old ones off is a pain.

Any help appreciated.

Thansk ... JAmes

Hi,

Having problemswith my Suberbs parking sensors. Seems to be a common problem. HAd 1 replaced last year, cost over £100 and a new garage man ( my old one has since died , RIP ) has told me it will cost upwards of £250 as there are 2 sensors gone. I want to have a go at this myself. If memory serves me correctly the last guy didnt have to remove the bumper but this new guy says it has to come off. Any one have any pics of how to do this job? I can get at all the sensors underneath the bumper with my hand so I can't imagine why the bumper would have to come off. Just don't know how to shimmy them out. ( I might even go for a whole new Ultra sonic system as I can get the 4 sensors and Unit for £40 ) but getting the old ones off is a pain.

Any help appreciated.

Thansk ... JAmes

If Its a Superb 1 then the sensors can be changed with the bumper on, the drivers side one is covered by a plastic cover which can be easily removed, you can access them all from underneath, its a bit of a squeeze but it can be done as I have done 2 myself, I started on the passenger side with a new sensor, as that was easiest to get too, I replaced it then put the car into reverse, if that didnt make any difference I presumed the sensor I had taken off was OK so changed it with the next and repeated the process, I did this until the fault had gone, Luckily I found the fault before I had to remove the cover over the last sensor,

I must admit too I am toying with replacing my whole system for a £40 set of e-bay (see below) as that whole set is less than half the price of a sensor from Skoda and my third sensor has now faulted, looking at it I would deffinately say this will be a bumper off job though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SKODA-SUPERB-PARKING-SENSORS-COLOUR-CODED-YOUR-CAR-/300423968819?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f2a9f833

Thanks for replies. What is the trick to getting them off when you can only feel the sensor under the bumper and can't see it. Do they twist off or what? I'm hoping to get them off and replaced without having to remove the bumper. PS It's a MK1 model

Edited by jimmyf

SO are we saying that these "cheap" ones on ebay are OK and fit without any mods?

I will get a set then as I am getting irritated by that long beep each time I put into reverse....

Definitely not worth paying £90 or so for each one from VAG considering how regularly they break.

I removed the plastic sleeves in the bumper that the original sensors fit in. Soldered the wire for the replacement sensor unit to the reverse light positive. Disconnected the original buzzer so you don't have the annoying long beep from the old duff sensors. And removed the section of wiring loom for the original sensors that sits behind the bumper. I did remove the bumper to fit them and its fairly easy to remove. I will be buying a second set soon as I believe with a bit of modification they would fit the original sleeves that I removed and they will then look even more original. Not had any problems with these sensors so far, the only thing I didn't like was the tone of buzzer provided, but that's just me being picky and I have replaced it with the original buzzer so it sounds better.

My sensors packed up during the arctic weather and was seriously thinking of getting the set off EBay. Finally got round to washing the car at the weekend and the sensors miraculously started to work again. Must have had some dirt lodged. Always worth given them a good clean to rule out a simple dirt problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for replies. What is the trick to getting them off when you can only feel the sensor under the bumper and can't see it. Do they twist off or what? I'm hoping to get them off and replaced without having to remove the bumper. PS It's a MK1 model

no, it's not a screw fit. There are a couple of clips which, from my fading memory, are probably positioned above and below the sensor if it is fitted ina horizontal position (they are L-shaped) IIRC the clips need to pushed outwards from the sensor body, not pushed in. Once the grip is removed they virtually fall out.

no, it's not a screw fit. There are a couple of clips which, from my fading memory, are probably positioned above and below the sensor if it is fitted ina horizontal position (they are L-shaped) IIRC the clips need to pushed outwards from the sensor body, not pushed in. Once the grip is removed they virtually fall out.

This guy speaks the truth. I have just replaced 2 today but I found it easier to disconnect the plug while the sensor was still in the bumper then remove the sensor. Probably due to the fact I only have the use of 1 arm though :(

• 1 month later...

does annyone has a picture of a sensor, could be a broken one.

Just to imagine how it looks like so i can remove them easilier.

there are several pictures thoughtfully posted in one of the threads about parking sensors. I don't know which thread it was though, but I do remember the post was not one of the first posts in the thread, and was probably on the second page. And yes, it was helpful to me to see it before I removed a sensor for the first time. (which was over a year ago - so the post must be about that old too)

cheers

Edited by sidewaze samm