Felicia 256mm Vented Brakes Upgrade

TeflonTom

60mm piston on the mundano callipers jimbo. On mine the pad goes right up to the edge of the disc with no ridge... The m1144 pads are actually quite awesome, well worth the extra cost. the braking effect of this entire setup is deceptively good compared the the god awful standard brakes.. It's funny how you feat used to them, then you jump in another one with standard brakes and frighten yourself to death at how bad they are..

An early days pic, 1st paddle clutch going in time. The calipers were wearing the pads they came with at the time and the retaining side springs were hanging off,(see pic), as springs they weren`t. Wore new pads and retainers the week after and no problems unlike the clutch, which was wore out.

Pic was taken, at the time, to show tom the coilovers and which discs to buy and use, as others wouldn`t tell him, not a display of competence

Edited by rolo

• 1 month later...

Tried the setup today, everything fit perfectly, i didnt need to shorten the bolts either but im guessing thats because im using sierra calipers and the standard bolts.

havent used them yet because i still havent got any pads but should be getting some friday so il whop it all back on then.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/nu99et/phone/09adc78a-d1c2-484c-9d9a-1b68c1c3c63b.jpg

and yes i know il probably get slated for buying the fancy discs but idc

Completed the setup today and i have to say they are MEAN AS FOOK!

Way better than the standard setup and they obviously havnt bedded in yet, would certainly recommend it to anyone, great upgrade.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/nu99et/phone/62261f48-efc2-4228-8d46-1dfd461c003d.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee98/nu99et/phone/4192d297-3872-4514-ad89-67122dbab9dc.jpg

^ those are either tiny brakes or hahoosive wheels :rofl:

17" wheels aint they. Glad i finally got round to doing this theyre a massive improvement now ive just gotta put the discs on the back again...

• 3 years later...

Like all good things this sounds too good to be true..... But I'll take your word for it ;) there are various reproduction sierra/granada calipers on ebay, anyone know if they are any good? Ideally want as little complications as possible so a straight swap sounds beautiful. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

+ 1 on the 256mm upgrade, heres a new vs old picture for you:

IMG_1824.jpg

and top view:

IMG_1825.jpg

I got the discs for £30 delivered on ebay and the calipers were £15 each from the scrappy (good condition, not siezed or leaking).

Interestingly I was surprised to find out my standard pickup brake calipers (Lucas) had 12mm mounting holes (apparently this only applies to some pickups? :wonder: ), so it really was a bolt on job with a light grind on the caliper bracket.

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

• 3 months later...

What a great thread. I bet we'll worth doing.

I know this is old post but I was wondering is there an upgrade that will work with 13" wheels?

Except from just getting better pads.

• 1 year later...