Cold Start problems with a PD TDI 170

right my car is DM Keith now for cold start problems (left it with them over night) and they are also doing the recall on the injectors, just rung them now as im only insured on the loan car for another 5 hours and it takes an hour an half to get there but they still have no answers as to why the car is not starting, when i get mine back ill let you know what has been changed.

Ema, mine is also at DM Keith next week for them to take a look at my cold starting issues.

What was the outcome of your visit, did they find a cure?

Ema, mine is also at DM Keith next week for them to take a look at my cold starting issues.

What was the outcome of your visit, did they find a cure?

Went in yesterday for new injectors and wiring loom..im one very happy bunny :D car now pulls like a train and i got 60mpg on the way home compared to 36mpg on the way there

As for the cold start issues, i dont know if its just been Whitby but the temp has been in double figures for the past two days so starting it this morning was fine, the new injectors have made a big difference, it fires up alot quicker (even when warm) but ill wait untill the temp dips back down again to give a full verdict

Mines not a vRS but I have a 2.0 Tdi PD 170 BKD 103bhp and get the exact same thing, even though it's like 26 degrees celcius here. Sometimes I try start it up and it cuts out immediately, other times I start it with no problems but at very low revs, and then eventually cuts out.. Glow plug lights go out in about a second, and I usually wait until all the relays have clicked over.. :'(

Mines not a vRS but I have a 2.0 Tdi PD 170 BKD 103bhp and get the exact same thing, even though it's like 26 degrees celcius here. Sometimes I try start it up and it cuts out immediately, other times I start it with no problems but at very low revs, and then eventually cuts out.. Glow plug lights go out in about a second, and I usually wait until all the relays have clicked over.. :'(

If yours is a BKD it will be the PD140 103 kw engine which has quite a few differences to the PD170. Mine has this engine, and although its never a problem to start as such I notice it really seems to like cold weather! In summer it sometimes splutters a bit after starting and misfires for a second or two. In winter its brilliant, get down to -5 to -10 C and it fires straight up the first flick of the key and idles smoothly straight away. I can only suggest you move over here with yours and you'll have no shortage of nice cold weather ;)

Went in yesterday for new injectors and wiring loom..im one very happy bunny :D car now pulls like a train and i got 60mpg on the way home compared to 36mpg on the way there

As for the cold start issues, i dont know if its just been Whitby but the temp has been in double figures for the past two days so starting it this morning was fine, the new injectors have made a big difference, it fires up alot quicker (even when warm) but ill wait untill the temp dips back down again to give a full verdict

Thanks Ema, my cold starting issue seems to have deteriorated since the injectors were replaced. Anything above about 3 or 4 degrees is fine, as soon as it's left overnight anywhere near freezing that's it again, back to it's old tricks.

The weather is supposed to get a bit colder next week, that's when its booked in for. From what you've said I'm not holding out much hope that they'll find a problem - much like the rest of the poor sods from earlier in this forum who appear to have had to live with it :thumbdown:

Thanks Ema, my cold starting issue seems to have deteriorated since the injectors were replaced. Anything above about 3 or 4 degrees is fine, as soon as it's left overnight anywhere near freezing that's it again, back to it's old tricks.

The weather is supposed to get a bit colder next week, that's when its booked in for. From what you've said I'm not holding out much hope that they'll find a problem - much like the rest of the poor sods from earlier in this forum who appear to have had to live with it :thumbdown:

Somewhere through the grapeline iv been told the Cam sensors can have abit a role to play in this, saying that im still waiting to find someone with this car that has solved the mystery as we could be here forever replacing bits here and there and be getting no further forward.

When i had this issue with my Mk4 Golf i had a list of at least 6 items that it could possibly be so it was just picking and choosing which one sounds the most plausible.

If the new injectors do not solve the problem which im highly doubting now ill be straight back to DM Keith, they are most likely getting sick of seeing but i dont care, i paid for my warranty and ill use it.

Thanks for the info Ema, if there are two of us putting pressure on the same dealer to find a fix then I reckon we'll stand a better chance.

You have an advantage in that you have a Skoda warranty so you can keep on at them until they fix it, if they choose 'process of elimination' then that's not your problem as it won't cost you anything. Unfortunately if I want mine curing I'll have to pay.

I'm with you in suspecting the cam sensor or glow plugs, hopefully trying both won't break the bank.

I'll stand firm though, they are a Skoda dealer with years of experience, the latest diagnostics and a direct line to technical support so I shouldn't have to keep swapping components and hoping for the best. Diagnose the fault, fix it and bill me. Simple.

Another pain in the behind is the need for sub zero temperatures to guarantee they can 1) witness the fault themselves and 2) know they've fixed it.

I'll update this post next week when they have had my car overnight.

iv got the same problem, anything below 6-7 degrees it will need a second turn of the key to get it fire and even then it does not feel sure of itself

i rung skoda and as mentioned before they said glowplugs or battery, i have not got round to checking either but does anyone have a rough idea of how long the glow plugs last? or when they start to get abit weak as there is not renewal time on them

i got fuel additive [ redex ]£10. before i used it anything below 8d it would struggle and cut out. anyway since additive it got better straight away. went away for weekend took skoda. and where we went had snow and was below -2. i was alittle scared going out to fire her up. but she started first time. [ shocked ] hadn,t experienced that since owning it. it,s been great since. really cold but no problems. also mpg has gone up slightly. so think it was slightly blocked injector. SKODA don,t know what there looking for. i mentioned faulty fuel filter or blocked injector. they said why you think that? i said read it on BRISK SKODA.NET they laughed and said it was full of idiots. well joke is on then with my problem. they couldn,t even clean injectors. try it for £10.

Don't skoda start telling you off if you put additives in with the fuel?! Or is them being fussy?

not really bothered what skoda think. if i listen to them i would still be wanting to burn my VRS out.lol £10 has sorted my problem. added fuel additive. drove 200miles round trip. and hey presto. my VRS only has 21k on it. so that ruled out fuel filter. still factory one. battery fine. so that left injectors.

I've had my injectors replaced and the problems persists.

As you know, I had injectors replaced a week ago and car still takes 5 cranks to start when warm, but worse today i.e. I suffered engine cut out at 20mph and only had residual steering and braking available.

Car restarted after 3 cranks.

I'm now going to pursue camshaft sensor repplacement, or trade in.

I'll keep everyone posted.

I wonder if the problematic cold starting has the same cause as the hot starting issue?

Oh? this is news to me? what else can i expect? :dull:

well started mine earlier on, about 4 degrees and started ok, a little lumpy but normally it would of been alot worse so i think im going in the right direction

If yours is a BKD it will be the PD140 103 kw engine which has quite a few differences to the PD170. Mine has this engine, and although its never a problem to start as such I notice it really seems to like cold weather! In summer it sometimes splutters a bit after starting and misfires for a second or two. In winter its brilliant, get down to -5 to -10 C and it fires straight up the first flick of the key and idles smoothly straight away. I can only suggest you move over here with yours and you'll have no shortage of nice cold weather ;)

hahah whooopss..!! I got all my specs mixed up - PD 140 not 170(I wish it was 170bhp!) and 103KW not bhp... (damn heat is getting to my head haha)

Oh, if it was up to me I'd be there already!! Much rather prefer the colder weather, and have always wanted to visit the UK..

Edited by Springwood NSW Octavia

hahah whooopss..!! I got all my specs mixed up - PD 140 not 170(I wish it was 170bhp!) and 103KW not bhp... (damn heat is getting to my head haha)

Oh, if it was up to me I'd be there already!! Much rather prefer the colder weather, and have always wanted to visit the UK..

Why? fuel is alot cheaper over your way isnt it?

If someone gave me a choice of the UK or Aus i know where id be heading!

A slight update on this one.

In between Christmas and New Year when I dropped it off for them to check the cold starting issue since the injector change I mentioned that the turbo had started whistling (it never used to).

I got the call to say a new turbo was needed (under warranty thank goodness) and they thought that the new turbo may help with the reluctant starting (something about back pressure from the faulty turbo?).

Anyway unfortunately it hasn't. The mechanic wasn't happy with the way it was still struggling to start and wanted to keep it in to do some more diagnostic work but I needed the car back for work tomorrow.

So it's booked back in for the 12th for them to take another look. Let’s hope they find a cure...

A slight update on this one.

In between Christmas and New Year when I dropped it off for them to check the cold starting issue since the injector change I mentioned that the turbo had started whistling (it never used to).

I got the call to say a new turbo was needed (under warranty thank goodness) and they thought that the new turbo may help with the reluctant starting (something about back pressure from the faulty turbo?).

Anyway unfortunately it hasn't. The mechanic wasn't happy with the way it was still struggling to start and wanted to keep it in to do some more diagnostic work but I needed the car back for work tomorrow.

So it's booked back in for the 12th for them to take another look. Let’s hope they find a cure...

Hmm interesting

My turbo has always had a slight whistle but the mechanic at DM has driven it and has never mentioned anything?

Mines back in on the 9th for a service, ill mention it but to be honest mine is starting alot better, still alittle lumpy but improvement non the less

A slight whistle is deemed acceptable, mine came on very suddenly and was more like a police siren, to a point passengers kept looking over their shoulder :giggle:

Mine has been starting better too but this is due to the higher temperatures recently (+5 degrees), it's still lumpy though and I'm not happy with it. I have no doubt if it drops back to near or below freezing it'll get bad again.

A slight whistle is deemed acceptable, mine came on very suddenly and was more like a police siren, to a point passengers kept looking over their shoulder :giggle:

Mine has been starting better too but this is due to the higher temperatures recently (+5 degrees), it's still lumpy though and I'm not happy with it. I have no doubt if it drops back to near or below freezing it'll get bad again.

Been abit colder up here (2.5 degrees the other night) and its better then what it used to be yeah im not going to settle for that.

I dont mind the fault finding but i dont want to keep having to do this drive, not cheap on fuel!

As you know, I had injectors replaced a week ago and car still takes 5 cranks to start when warm, but worse today i.e. I suffered engine cut out at 20mph and only had residual steering and braking available.

Car restarted after 3 cranks.

I'm now going to pursue camshaft sensor repplacement, or trade in.

I'll keep everyone posted.

My car is booked in to have camshaft sensor replaced on the 10th.

P.S. I can hardly hear turbo whistling since fuel injectors were replaced. Beforehand it was just slightly noticable. Surely there must be a mechanic somewhere who can piece this all together and deliver a solution.

Keep us updated Urpeth, mine is booked on for three days (12th, 13th & 14th) i.e three cold starts, for them to try and diagnose the problem.

If the camshaft sensor cures your hot starting issue then it might also be the cause of my cold starting issue.