rSAP Bluetooth to HandsFree - Sucess!

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been done with Octy's etc, but I've tried it with the Superb.

I have bought a 3C8 Bluetooth module for $180 (£111) from this eBay seller. (3C8035730A)

It arrived this morning from Portugal, installed in a few minutes, no coding needed, and works as a HandsFree device. - in my case, the BlackBerry i own DOES have rSAP but it is very sporadic when connecting; sometimes it'll be fine for a week, after 15 minutes of getting it connected, then, it'll never connect for a month.

If anyone is in the North East and would like to meet to try it with their phone, i dont have a problem at all :) will try it later with my Wife's iPhone 3G.

So, on the whole, i feel it's a 'hunderd-quid REALLY well spent.

Go do it - it works!

2010 Superb with rSAP only - now 2010 Superb with rSAP and HFP! :yes:

Al.

Edited by ukcruiser
  • Like 1

Hi All,

I'm sure this has been done with Octy's etc, but I've tried it with the Superb.

I have bought a 3C8 Bluetooth module for $180 (£111) from this eBay seller.

It arrived this morning from Portugal, installed in a few minutes, no coding needed, and works as a HandsFree device. - in my case, the BlackBerry i own DOES have rSAP but it is very sporadic when connecting; sometimes it'll be fine for a week, after 15 minutes of getting it connected, then, it'll never connect for a month.

If anyone is in the North East and would like to meet to try it with their phone, i dont have a problem at all :) will try it later with my Wife's iPhone 3G.

So, on the whole, i feel it's a 'hunderd-quid REALLY well spent.

Go do it - it works!

2010 Superb with rSAP only - now 2010 Superb with rSAP and HFP! :yes:

Al.

Al, you should have GSM 111 on your Superb like me. We got our cars round about the same time.

My iPhone 3gs connects first time, every time.

Phil

Think yours is a 2011 model, and mine was a 2010 Phil. - check the BT module under the drivers seat - if it starts 5N0 it's a rSAP (GSMiii only) and if it's 3C8 it's the newer GSMiii (Remote Sim) and Hands-Free-Protocol.

Yours Must be the newer module, as it's connecting to an iPhone....

(My superb was built in April)

Al.

hi AL

just been reading your post on blue tooth module is this a strait swap for the existing skoda unit under the drivers seat.

bill

Hi Bill,

Yes, straight swop, 3x 10mm bolts holding it in, 1x Multi Connector, 1x Aerial Plug, no coding needed, works as it should.

I'm going to go take some photo's now. - will post online.

Al.

Photo's.

Remove Cover

DSC_1655.jpg

3x Bolts, 1x MultiConnector, 1x Aerial Plug

DSC_1653.jpg

Plug in new Unit (New unit already in, but old one on top as a size guide; exactly the same)

DSC_1654.jpg

Works on MFD as it should.

IMG-20110201-00192.jpg

And on Nav Unit.

IMG-20110201-00193.jpg

Done.

Phone still works as a phone for emails, texts etc - there is now an option on MFD for Audio Streaming from Bluetooth device - i havent tried this yet....

Edited by ukcruiser

Well done, Al and many thanks for the pictures and explanation! Ebay, here I come. :)

RATS! - listing has ended. :(

Ray

Ray,

If you search eBay for this part number; 3C8035730A

Select worldwide, and see what you get - there's quite a few on, about 15 of them, some with a buy it now price of around £100 + post.

Good luck!

Al.

hi Al

Thanks for the pictures the only one i can find is this one item no 200496242393 on eBay.

in the advert it says voice control for the sat-nav and radio is that the same as yours.

Bill

hi Al

Thanks for the pictures the only one i can find is this one item no 200496242393 on eBay.

in the advert it says voice control for the sat-nav and radio is that the same as yours.

Bill

Bill, click here to go to one of the available units. Copy the part number, go to "Advanced" next to the Search" window, enter it, then scroll down until you find the "Location" section, click in the box then select "Worldwide" and you'll see more of them. HTH.

Did you sort your POIs OK - if not I'll send some tips. :)

Ray

Edited by Argee

Thanks for the replies lads i have found the unit i need £100. i will ask the wife to buy me a iPhone now.bill

P's, ray i have sent you a card? to day

Edited by bill2

UKcruiser.

I see this one on Ebay and it has SMS in the phone screen on the columbus but yours doesnt.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-PREMIUM-Bluetooth-KIT-RCD-mfd3-RNS-3C8035730A-A2DP-/200496242393?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item2eae81ded9

Also it said you need a VAG coder to install this unit.

I take it you didnt was that because of the firmare already on your unit.

UKcruiser.

I see this one on Ebay and it has SMS in the phone screen on the columbus but yours doesnt.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-PREMIUM-Bluetooth-KIT-RCD-mfd3-RNS-3C8035730A-A2DP-/200496242393?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item2eae81ded9

Also it said you need a VAG coder to install this unit.

I take it you didnt was that because of the firmare already on your unit.

I believe the SMS only works when the phone is connected in rSAP mode to this newer module. - the 3C8 module can worth in both Hands Free and rSAP.

But search eBay world wide, and look to pay around £100 + post for the bare module - you dont need the full install kit if you already have a bluetooth unit in your elegance.

I needed no coding, as it was already installed.

If you have a look in the Ice section on the forum, there's a guy who has installed a newer module than this, (It's now a 5N0 module, with the suffix D on the end, rather than C installed into my Superb) but seem's to require some sort of coding.

Al.

ps. I take No responsibility for it not working if you buy one - all i know, is i have changed my 5N0 (suffix C) module for a 3C8 and it works like a charm, with no coding.

Sorry to come in here ignorant, but will this work on my Octavia ? It was built in Dec 2009, and only has rSAP connectivity. For example would that probably need re-coding ?

Thanks for any help - need new phone and dont want to be limited AGAIN to Nokia etc.

Sorry to come in here ignorant, but will this work on my Octavia ? It was built in Dec 2009, and only has rSAP connectivity. For example would that probably need re-coding ?

Thanks for any help - need new phone and dont want to be limited AGAIN to Nokia etc.

What box is fitted into your Octy?

...if it begins 5N0 and ends A, B or C it's rSAP only, but you should able to replace it with a D or a 3C8 module, with no coding required, giving you HFP and rSAP.

Al.

• Like 1

What box is fitted into your Octy?

...if it begins 5N0 and ends A, B or C it's rSAP only, but you should able to replace it with a D or a 3C8 module, with no coding required, giving you HFP and rSAP.

Al.

Thanks very much. The unit is very much rSAP only unfortunately. I will check the box in the car just to see what code it is anyway.

Sorry to be dim again, but does HFP have any functionality in terms of address books etc ? In our Audi it connects to all phones and syncs the address book not using rSAP (wife uses a Sony-E).

Thanks very much. The unit is very much rSAP only unfortunately. I will check the box in the car just to see what code it is anyway.

Sorry to be dim again, but does HFP have any functionality in terms of address books etc ? In our Audi it connects to all phones and syncs the address book not using rSAP (wife uses a Sony-E).

yes, your unit (will prob be same as the Superb, rSAP only)will be 5N0 035 730 and will end with an A, B or C (these are rSAP Only Units)

If it is one of these, change it to a 5N0 035 730 D or a 3C8 035 730 A, and you will have rSAP and Hands Free - but you will also get Bluetooth Audio Streaming, Texting via Touch Screen in rSAP mode, and Full Phone book in both rSAP and HFP.

Al.

ps. Check the Ice forum - it's now believed that a 3C8 is a 5N0 "D" but with a different part number... there's another few that have changed it; only one with problem as he has a cradle fitted...

yes, your unit (will prob be same as the Superb, rSAP only)will be 5N0 035 730 and will end with an A, B or C (these are rSAP Only Units)

If it is one of these, change it to a 5N0 035 730 D or a 3C8 035 730 A, and you will have rSAP and Hands Free - but you will also get Bluetooth Audio Streaming, Texting via Touch Screen in rSAP mode, and Full Phone book in both rSAP and HFP.

Al.

ps. Check the Ice forum - it's now believed that a 3C8 is a 5N0 "D" but with a different part number... there's another few that have changed it; only one with problem as he has a cradle fitted...

There seems to be a 3C8 part number that is rSAP only, so be careful. My car was one of the first off the production line back in September 2008, and is definitely rSAP only.

However, the VAG-COM log shows the phone module as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 77: Telephone

Control Module Part Number: 3C8 035 730

Component and/or Version: Telefon 2800

Software Coding: 0020121

Work Shop Code: WSC xxxxx

Having said all that, my car does seem to prove that the 3C8 and 5N0 part numbers are interchangeable.

Think I'm going to have to give this module swap a go, as I'm sick and fed up of waiting for either Apple or Google to implement rSAP. Let's be honest, it's going to be a long time before Nokia have a competitive smartphone again.

Andy.

Well, I've gone and ordered one. £117.05 at the current exchange rate. Will report back on how it goes here.

Got to be better than blowing £400 on a touchscreen Nokia phone that won't work half as well as my iPhone.

Do I need to update the firmware in the Columbus unit to get this to work? I'm running the 26xx code at the moment, but I know that there is newer stuff out there. I've never bothered to upgrade, as the current software hasn't given me any problems.

Andy.

I've just installed the replacement module as mentioned in this thread and it works faultlessly, offering many additional features above the original, such as streaming Bluetooth music from my mobile, SMS read and write, etc. Brilliant piece of kit and a BIG "thank you!" to Al (ukcruiser) for his post and pics.

Just to add to those pics, when removing the aerial, you need to depress a little locking flap on the squared-off top part of the red connector.

When unplugging the main connection, depress the white locking tab on the top to allow the white lever to be pivoted towards the rear of the unit.

This unlocks the fitting and allows the cable to be extracted. Re-assembly is the reverse, you need to slide the lever towards the front, which draws the cable into the unit.

The locking tab clicks into place - job done! :)

Ray

I've just installed the replacement module as mentioned in this thread and it works faultlessly, offering many additional features above the original, such as streaming Bluetooth music from my mobile, SMS read and write, etc. Brilliant piece of kit and a BIG "thank you!" to Al (ukcruiser) for his post and pics.

Excellent News Ray!

Was this with the 5N0 035 730 D Unit? or the same as mine, the 3C8 035 730 A ? - Just so people know either will work :yes:

Al.

Sorry, Al, I should have said that I installed the 5N0 035 730 D Unit.

Ray

Excellent, so there you go folks.

If you've got a Superb, which has rSAP only bluetooth, just replace the unit under the drivers seat, with a 3C8 035 730 A or N0 035 730 D unit, and you will have rSAP, HFP and Music Streaming, with no modifications or coding required, allowing you to use any twenty quid phone, with bluetooth, or even an iPhone with your Superb.

Pick them up on eBay (Search world-wide, as mine was from Portugal) for around £100 + post (ish)

Al.