Columbus Installed In Fabia Vrs

cjp2k

Hi guys, just installed the RNS510 into the vRS

15 min install.

I removed the top glove box, 2 t15 screws and pull at the bottom.

Positioned the GPS antenna onto the top of the 2nd glovebox with double sided tape and run the cable behind the Stereo.

Remove the trim around the CD player and remove the 4 t15 screws. Gently pull out the old stereo and Remove the Quadlock and FM anetnna.

Plug in the Quadlock, GPS and antenna into the back of the columbus and position back into position.

Switch on make sure everything working and refit Glovebox.

Thats the unit installed. The MDI and Steering wheel works with no coding, the only thing that doesnt is the MFD arrow displays.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by cjp2k

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine had the swing too.... It was a easy install, much easier than the MK5 Golf I did!

Everything just "Worked" however if you get a used unit that had sound systems etc installed it may not be so plug and play

Cheers

Chris

Mine had the swing too.... It was a easy install, much easier than the MK5 Golf I did!

Everything just "Worked" however if you get a used unit that had sound systems etc installed it may not be so plug and play

Cheers

Chris

Damn I wish you hadn't told me this.

I'm already on eBay having a look...

How do you upload music to the internal hard drive?

Dunno mate, not got that far, only had 30 mins of sunlight to get it installed!

Going to have a play at the weekend once I get it all coded up correctly!

You can copy and paste directly from your PC onto an SD card and then use that to transfer onto the internal HDD or you can burn a CD and copy that onto the HDD via the CD drive on the Columbus. However you MUST copy the CD as a data disk rather than an audio CD. To do this in windows media player(WMP), where you have the burn tab just underneath you press the triangle, a new box will open. At the top of the box you will see Audio CD or Data CD, you must have the Data CD selected and then you will be able to copy, you will only be able to copy onto the Columbus HDD if you hadn't copy protected the CD's when you initially copied them onto the WMP.

HTH

Ian

Edited by countryboy

You can copy and paste directly from your PC onto an SD card and then use that to transfer onto the internal HDD or you can burn a CD and copy that onto the HDD via the CD drive on the Columbus. However you MUST copy the CD as a data disk rather than an audio CD. To do this in windows media player(WMP), where you have the burn tab just underneath you press the triangle, a new box will open. At the top of the box you will see Audio CD or Data CD, you must have the Data CD selected and then you will be able to copy, you will only be able to copy onto the Columbus HDD if you hadn't copy protected the CD's when you initially copied them onto the WMP.

HTH

Ian

Nice one mate, cheers emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Will have to buy the Columbus first! :)

Also, is it possible to retrofit bluetooth with the columbus?

My current set-up doesn't have bluetooth but would appear to have all the phone controls on the steering wheel.

Edited by Stu vRS

Ebay user called autoparts_europe

Cheers.

I can see you putting me half a grand out of pocket here! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Edit: The pictures I have seen have shown the buttons lighting up green? Is this the same on yours?

Edited by Stu vRS

Maxidot works for track info still, just not for navi, apparently its a easy code to get it fully working :thumbup:

Is this something the dealers can do? I've noticed that Columbus isn't a standard option on the Fabia, so I don't know if dealers will be reluctant to do this or not?

Dealers may not code it, I see your in preston mate, try Awesome GTI, they are based around Manchester they may do it?

I am taking mine to a local owner of VAGCOM

Bluetooth probs wont work fully with the rns510 till its coded up

Dealers may not code it, I see your in preston mate, try Awesome GTI, they are based around Manchester they may do it?

I am taking mine to a local owner of VAGCOM

Bluetooth probs wont work fully with the rns510 till its coded up

Thanks mate.

Do I need some special bluetooth box / unit or something to make it backwards compatible?

Do you have bluetooth?

All you need is the navi unit to swap between the swing and the columbus, but you may or maynot need aditional coding to get the sound to come out of the speakers,...mine luckly didnt need anything else so I can get up and running

If you want to add bluetooth you can, either a fiscon or a oem skoda unit, I plan on adding oem bluetooth when I get paid!

you are bad for my wallet :S :S

+1 :thumbup: Damn you!

Do you have bluetooth?

All you need is the navi unit to swap between the swing and the columbus, but you may or maynot need aditional coding to get the sound to come out of the speakers,...mine luckly didnt need anything else so I can get up and running

If you want to add bluetooth you can, either a fiscon or a oem skoda unit, I plan on adding oem bluetooth when I get paid!

Again, you are potentially destroying my bank account.

Thanks for the help though, appreciate it!