Cooler exposed?

Hi all Briskodians!

Since I have been an owner for just about a month I have started to wonder over the low placed cooler(?) intake location of the car and the lack of protection from "low flying" objects (gravel, small stones etc coming from vehicles in front of you). I mean, my older Mondeos cooler was at least protected by a plastic grid or net in front of it. And I've seen what small stones can do to the paint of the bonnet, or the windscreen for that matter.

My question: Isn't this a risky design? Have any of you encountered any problems according to this? It isn't cheep stuff down there...

/Superbjoser

Hi all Briskodians!

Since I have been an owner for just about a month I have started to wonder over the low placed cooler(?) intake location of the car and the lack of protection from "low flying" objects (gravel, small stones etc coming from vehicles in front of you). I mean, my older Mondeos cooler was at least protected by a plastic grid or net in front of it. And I've seen what small stones can do to the paint of the bonnet, or the windscreen for that matter.

My question: Isn't this a risky design? Have any of you encountered any problems according to this? It isn't cheep stuff down there...

/Superbjoser

I thought the same, but in six years with my MkI Superb, two years with my MkII hatch no problems. My Superb Combi is of course the same and therefore do not expect any problems either. If you want to fit some DIY protection remember how small the air intake area is. In that time I had two stone broken Windscreens on my MkI and one on the MkII, + a few very tiny chip marks on the bonnets.

I did 143,000 miles in my last MkII Octavia with a similarly placed condenser and i've never had any problems. As with anything like this, its the luck of the draw.

• 3 years later...

Hope this is not considdered hijacking. :-P

I also have a leaky condenser, although it gives a slight cooling effect. Now I am trying to find a reasonably priced replacement. It does not have to be rock-bottom prices as prices are pretty high here in Norway anyways. ;-)

How do I find out if it suits my car ?

According to my registry documents is't a 3T (but should there not be a number after the T?)

It's a 2012 4x4 estate with DSG

Other stuff:

Engine code: CFFB / CLJA

Engine volume: 1968 (2.0 TDI)
Effect: 103 KW

Would one of theese fit?

I did 143,000 miles in my last MkII Octavia with a similarly placed condenser and i've never had any problems. As with anything like this, its the luck of the draw.

Whereas I did a similar amount of mileage in both my Mk1 and Mk2 Octavias and managed to get through 4 compressors (2 on each).

Hope this is not considdered hijacking. :-P

I also have a leaky condenser, although it gives a slight cooling effect. Now I am trying to find a reasonably priced replacement. It does not have to be rock-bottom prices as prices are pretty high here in Norway anyways. ;-)

How do I find out if it suits my car ?

According to my registry documents is't a 3T (but should there not be a number after the T?)

It's a 2012 4x4 estate with DSG

Other stuff:

Engine code: CFFB / CLJA

Engine volume: 1968 (2.0 TDI)
Effect: 103 KW

Would one of theese fit?

Hella / Behr are likely to have made your original condenser.  There is one here at £106.31, but then if you are spending over £100 then you can use a £15 discount code (enter "CP15LESS" at checkout), which brings it down £91.31.  Shipping to Norway is then quite expensive at £35.95.  But it might be a cheaper alternative to a Hella / Behr condenser sourced locally to you.

http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Skoda_Superb_2.0_2012/p/car-parts/car-cooling-parts-and-car-heating/air-conditioning1/air-conditioning-condenser/?222440610&1&753a91f180f3b0cb9b1b990c689cab96b51a16b4&1&000382

When you have the front bumper off, take the opportunity to vacuum out any dried leaves and insects, and hose down the other radiators to help get rid of salt accumulations.

Edited by JakeBlade

After what it said on the statement from the dealer, the radiator is from Mondine(?)

I ended up getting it locally but trough Hella. Did cost me just over £200

If I had bought trough your link, it would have been £127 + 32 (VAT)+ 20(Customs fee) = 179.- 

Not a big difference. :-)

I just got a new alternator that did cost me about £530 (£430 if they could keep the old one), and I am pretty sure I could have saved quite a bit on that one. I am going to open it and change brushes and possibly the slip-ring depending on my findings(Less than £19 and thus no VAT/fee).

Cannot hurt to have a spare lying around, and I can always sell it if I don't need it. :-)

Edit:

I am thinking of doing something like what Kenny R's link suggests. Although I hope to be able to use plastic-mesh behind the  grille.

Edited by Malawi