Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPi Fuel economy

Cepheuz

hi guys;

the fabia 8v MPi i have is not behaving good as fuel economy is last tank it drove 448km (278miles) on a full tank (including expansion tank filled til pump auto shut of allowed it, like 4 clicks) it says the tank is 45liters like my previous Felicia (witch filled constantly to the brim with 12 gallons US) but i think i put in 15 gallons US on it, if not a little more, now i checked F.E. for the fabia practik (witch stated the 8v MPi) it states:

Fuel Consumption: (90 km/h – 120 km/h – city) from 9.8 - 5.6 - 7.2 litres/100 km (1.4 MPI/50 kW)

source: http://new.skoda-auto.com/COM/model/olders/models/Pages/FabiaPraktik.aspx

now that should round about to 52km/g(US)or 40mpg (Imp) in town driving. (here i see people stating 35 - 42 mpg (IMP) witch fall right withing the Stated figures) and i'm not even close to that (i would be happy as a clam if i was, right now i'm about 25mpg (Imp))

these are my questions:

1. are those fuel figures the same for the 1.4MPi (8v) Fabia Hatchback?

2. How much does a loose timing chain affect F.E.

3. i have a doggi fuel pump, does that affect F.E., if sow, how much?

4. i put in 20W-50 oil (tropical climate) as stated in the manual, is this affecting F.E.?

5. are the 90km/h and 120 km/h figures inversed?

sorry to bother with so many question, i'm averaging 11.8 L/100km or 30 - 32 Km/g(US) (25mpg (Imp)) and have services the car, changed Air, Oil and Fuel Filter, put in 2 tanks with Fuel system injector cleaner + XP3 fuel additive, replaced MAP sensor, Cleaned Lambda sensor (and all the others sensors) cleaned throttle butterfly and reset computer, keep tires @ 35Psi and only use RON95 (premium gas here, regular os RON89)

hasn't used a drop of oil or coolant and doesnt show a sign of head gasket damage, i do feel a bit of air comming in an out if i remove the oil dip stick (could that point to loss of compression?) appart from that and the chain i don't know what could be causing the bad F.E.

my car has done 100k

please help

Try checking here; http://www.spritmoni...g=1&powerunit=2 Just be sure that you only look at the Fabia I models.

It lists real life of MPG (FE) of people.

Be aware though - the quoted figures are often hard to match in real life. So if they say 5.4 l/100km it wouldn't be surprising if it's nearer 7 l/100km (made up figures).

Sorry I can't help more though with the specifics.

Edited by TriggerFish

Try checking here; http://www.spritmoni...g=1&powerunit=2 Just be sure that you only look at the Fabia I models.

It lists real life of MPG (FE) of people.

Be aware though - the quoted figures are often hard to match in real life. So if they say 5.4 l/100km it wouldn't be surprising if it's nearer 7 l/100km (made up figures).

Sorry I can't help more though with the specifics.

i´ve looked at several sites and search for my engine (1.4 MPi 8v) when posible, if i round the numbers up the F.E. is arround 7.6 witch is almost exactly what the skoda page says, now if i account for 10% drop in F.E. because of bad gas here it would be 44 km/g (US), 34mpg (Imp) thats a huege diference from the 30 - 32 Km/g (US) 25mpg (Imp) i´m getting, so i re-instate my question, the only thing i have´nt fixed in my car is the fuel pump, the chain, and posibly changing oil from 20W-50 to 10W-40 or 5W-40

Your milage is about average for the 1.4 mpi

I have the same car and get just over 27 miles per gallon

Its and old style engine designed when fuel economy wasn't a big issue as petrol was much cheaper

try adjusting your driving style, no fast accelerating etc you may squeeze an extra couple of miles per gallon out of it, or just accept its a greedy sod and learn to love it

Your milage is about average for the 1.4 mpi

I have the same car and get just over 27 miles per gallon

Its and old style engine designed when fuel economy wasn't a big issue as petrol was much cheaper

try adjusting your driving style, no fast accelerating etc you may squeeze an extra couple of miles per gallon out of it, or just accept its a greedy sod and learn to love it

I'll fix the chain, use the correct oil (vw 502 00 5W-40) and change the fuel pump and keep putting Xp3 fuel additive, if numbers don't change, i guess i will have to live with it, but to me (doing research for that particualr engine in several sites) 25mpg is about 33% less of average (7.6L/100km. adding up all the numbers of several users in different sites and averaging it) and about 28% less of expected here (gas being bad quality and expectin RON95 not being realy 95 but closest to RON91)

if i reach 8.96L/100km i'll be a happy camper. :D

i alway see the temp needle in the middle, but driving here on a 166km journey the needle was 3/8 the way up, maybe my thermostat is broken and that's all there is to it.

ok, question #5 has been ansewed, yes it does drive more econmical @ 120km/h drove the dam thing 150k needle always north of 3000 rpm (if thats not a italian tune up, i dont know what is) gave me 49 Km/g 15% town 85% open road.

It has previously been suggested replacing the MAP sensor can improve MPG even if the ECU does not record a fault on it. Have not tried this myself yet. It is quite a thirsty engine anyway.

It has previously been suggested replacing the MAP sensor can improve MPG even if the ECU does not record a fault on it. Have not tried this myself yet. It is quite a thirsty engine anyway.

the MAP was one of the first things that was replaced, and it did no good, is its thristy compared to a felicia but look at you figures 34mpg(Imp) (What you are getting on yours) is a long way up from 25mpg(imp) (What i'm getting in mines)

its thristy compared to a felicia but look at you figures 34mpg(Imp) (What you are getting on yours) is a long way up from 25mpg(imp) (What i'm getting in mines)

My best MPG is on long journeys at about 55 to 60 mph. It quickly goes down once doing 70 mph plus, and doing short "city" journeys around 30mph. I admit that I tend to be quite heavy on the right pedal too.

Only other things I can think might make the difference between 25 and 34 mpg are the thermostat, air filter, and unmetered air through intake gasket/vacuum hose. Perhaps an injector could be sending too much fuel into the cylinder?

It may be worthwhile getting hold of VCDS, and working through the official Skoda service manual comparing the specified values with the actual ones in measuring blocks. See http://www.mediafire.com/?3k3kcdv54mb for the manual. This will also give an indication how loose your timing chain is.

Edited by anewman

My best MPG is on long journeys at about 55 to 60 mph. It quickly goes down once doing 70 mph plus, and doing short "city" journeys around 30mph. I admit that I tend to be quite heavy on the right pedal too.

Only other things I can think might make the difference between 25 and 34 mpg are the thermostat, air filter, and unmetered air through intake gasket/vacuum hose. Perhaps an injector could be sending too much fuel into the cylinder?

It may be worthwhile getting hold of VCDS, and working through the official Skoda service manual comparing the specified values with the actual ones in measuring blocks. See http://www.mediafire.com/?3k3kcdv54mb for the manual. This will also give an indication how loose your timing chain is.

i changed all the filters (air, oil, gas) and the stat i haven´t check, but temp needle goes to the middle in 10 min, and stays there on city, when i hit the road it does go down so i will check, vacuum hoses (2) where changed and i hear no high pitch hiss or any other indication of a vacuum leak. i took out the plugs (big fan of reading them) and they reflect a lean (not rich) condition and a little to much timing on idle (this i belive is because of a faulty fuel pump that will be replace next saturday and the loose chain)

I'm getting roughly 350-360 miles out of mine on a full tank and like anewman said, it does its best at 55 - 60 mph.

You mentioned the temp needle taking 10 mins to rise and dropping when you are travelling at higher speeds. I had this exact problem. It scratching my head for a few days. Turned out it was my thermostat. It's apparently a common problem. The inner workings of the thermostat break and your engine over-cools. You will find plenty of info about this on the forums.

Edited by fabia_gn

i alredy called in for a new stat, i do think is the reason for the low F.E. thou, since i live in warm climate 30c and the car stays @ 90 degrees all the time (if im not in the highway witch is very seldom) but will change it just to get the temp faster to 90

chain is going to be services, did a reading 0 error codes

just removed the stat housing, its broken, so the stat is all over the place, removed the stat so latter when i buy the husing i have a spare one. i´ll stop complaining about my F.E. until i fix the housing, then check what the numbers are, also, i´ll try to use the AC less

My model does not have AC, so that could account for some of the difference too (I think most 1.4mpi's in the UK do not have AC as they were an "entry-level" model.)

Edited by anewman

My model does not have AC, so that could account for some of the difference too (I think most 1.4mpi's in the UK do not have AC as they were an "entry-level" model.)

all in all, having had various cars with AC (a must here in the climate of the Dominican Republic) using AC does not impact F.E. while driving over 1500+ rpm, but it does affect (quite a lot) in idle, my car idles using 0.8L/h(in the computer) w/o AC, with AC is 1.4L/h thats almost double. on acceleration from stand still you still see the diferences, but everything fades after 2000rpm

so i´m going to switch it off the compressor on low rpm. see how that works out (and ofcourse fit a stat housing)