MPG on my 1.9tdi diesel octavia elegance

Purple13

Hi guys.

3rd week - 2nd fill up and the results are looking good on the diesel mpg front.

I'm keeping a short term record just to see if the Millers fuel additive is doing the business or not.

monday (am) 14th feb - 47ltr > 10.3 gal = 50.48 mpg - 520miles - £129.9 per ltr

tuesday (am) 22nd feb - 43.66ltr > 9.61 gal = 51.71 mpg - 497 miles - £129.9 per ltr

So I'd say yes - so far.

Which TDI - 110? What figures were you seeing before you started using the Millers additive?

How much does the additive cost. Does the increase in MPGs outweigh the cost of the additive?

Hi yes it's the 110.

Nothing to compare against, having just bought the car but my Father in law swears by it.

Didn't think it could hurt to clean an engine out with 103k on the clock.

Cheers - Jonathan

Didn't think it could hurt to clean an engine out with 103k on the clock.

103k - just run in then :smirk:

Might be worth taking off the EGR/anti-shudder assembly and giving that a clean too. Inlet manifold if you are feeling a bit more adventurous.

monday (am) 14th feb - 47ltr > 10.3 gal = 50.48 mpg - 520miles - £129.9 per ltr

tuesday (am) 22nd feb - 43.66ltr > 9.61 gal = 51.71 mpg - 497 miles - £129.9 per ltr

And at those fuel prices i'm shocked :giggle:

I think miller's cleans the injectors and then add a bit more cetane so it's a bit more punchy. Used it for a while in my old Leon (remapped) and you could notice the difference quite a bit. But to be honest for general everyday driving is it worth it... probably more faf that good???

I don't get 50mpg from my TDi110 Elegance estate. At the moment I'm barely averaging 40mpg. I work in a small independent garage in my home town in Hampshire, and our local motor factor and parts supplier are now offering a service to treat the complete fuel system using a Protec product. Now, there's no-one more sceptical than me when it comes to manufacturers of these kind of products' claims of improved economy and performance. After all, most car accessory shop shelves are packed full of bottles and cans of stuff all claiming to work wonders. However, everyone so far who has used this treatment has said they are amazed at the improvements.

The product is introduced directly into the fuel system using a specially designed tool, and not added to the fuel in the tank. Varnish, gum and other residue are removed from the fuel pump, injectors, valves and exhaust components. One customer said after treatment that his VW Caddy van felt like it had a brand new turbo.

Also the same manufacturer produce an Air Intake Cleaner for diesel engines. The product is again introduced into the air intake using the special tool where it atomises and breaks down all deposits. It has a low flash point which it obviously needs to have to prevent the engine knocking uncontrollably. The removed deposits are burned during combustion and exit via the exhaust leaving the whole system clean. The product has been specially formulated for diesel engines.

I'm going to treat my car with this product, and I'll post back once I've had a chance to assess the results.

I don't get 50mpg from my TDi110 Elegance estate.

I'm going to treat my car with this product, and I'll post back once I've had a chance to assess the results.

Sub 50s sounds bad - when was it last serviced?

Anyhow I would be interested to see what performance increases you see - assuming that no other car servicing takes places within your "test" window.

Sub 50s is bad in "sensible driving conditions". Ok, I only get about 45 commutting, but that's a cold start, several "brisk" accelerations, and a hill climb in 11 miles going, with the descent of the hill on a cold engine going back.

In the 3 years I owned my MKI Octavia Elegance (110) my average consumption was over 60mpg (the best was 70mpg) this was all done on the trip computer, so assuming this was 10% optimistic it still gave very impressive mpg.

(this was on variable servicing)

Drive the 130 bhp Octy 1 , and it has 126k miles , yesterday on a 50 mile trip , got 58 mpg and thats not being slow , still impressed with MPG and regular expect to get 50/55 out of it . Have used the millars for a few years now , every few weeks , No smoke . Would also recomend checking air filter , do mine every year at the mid way oil change and it always drives a lot better . The combination of , decent oil , and filter plus air filter is always the best recomendation .

Sub 50s sounds bad - when was it last serviced?

Anyhow I would be interested to see what performance increases you see - assuming that no other car servicing takes places within your "test" window.

I service my car every year in June. I change the engine oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter and pollen filter. Additionally in December I change the engine oil and filter. I like to keep my own car well up together. I always have done. I have worked as a vehicle technician for over 30 years now. I have my own VCDS and have a pretty good understanding of engine management systems having worked for both the AA and RAC in the past. However, I cannot seem to get to the bottom of why my own car does not achieve the kind of MPG that other owners seem to be able to get. My wife drives it more than me and she does have a fairly heavy right foot. Also she does do some short trips and a 7 mile each way run every day. This journey includes a 4 mile stretch of motorway with a hill at either end. She always boots it up the hill, and I don't think this is any real bad thing. Another thing she does is use supermarket fuel. I'm becoming convinced that this fuel is worse than I thought in terms of performance and economy. I've told her to start filling up at an Esso, Shell or Texaco station from now on and avoid Morrisons and Asda. I'm also suspicious of the intake manifold being restricted with the usual build up of deposits. At some time when I can I'm going to remove and clean it. I have twice cleaned the EGR and anti-shudder valve. I'm pretty certain it needs to be done again. I will do this as soon as I get a chance, as this of course will not help. I've noticed a slight reduction in performance lately. Nothing I can really put my finger on but I'm going top address all the things I've just mentioned.

I use what ever fuel is cheapest these days - normally supermarket fuel and don't have any issues.

If you have VCDS have you checked your MAF is working as expected. A faulty CTS could lower economy too.

I have cleaned my EGR out twice in 180k, with it has only had a thin sooty/oily covering. The inlet manifold was a bit more nasty, bur wasn't really blocked.

Certainly sounds like you get enough filter changes in :-)

I service ... I've just mentioned.

Detail deleted - That's pretty much like my servicing and commuting pattern, and I'm "assertive" with the throttle too. As I said, 45mpg or so commuting, but I've certain that's the "lots of acceleration and warming up running", cos I do 200 mile runs several times a year, and always get into the 50s on them. Oh yeah; I prefer to use brand name fuel too, not least because I can't get supermarket cheaper anywhere I am regularly, I remember the UK shortage of lambdas that one major chain caused with contaminated fuel.

After posting on this thread I've been looking at my MPG and earlier in the week I was getting about 47-51mpg without really taking it steady. Yesterday and today though, I can't be bothered filling up again this week and I'm down below a 1/4, I've been driving really carefully and yesterday I got 55mpg and today it went up to 62mpg!!! I couldn't believe it!!!

Just started using the millers diesel stuff inmy Scenic as my Dad got me some for my birthday, he says it pays for itself plus a little which is better than nothing, he has a octy 1.9 pd, I have noticed after only 300 miles that my Renault is running a lot smoother but can't comment on fuel economy yet, it is showing 1.3 MPG better at the moment but not convinced yet. I need a good average before I decide if it makes a difference.

Yeah I'm starting to think that fuel cleaners do work too. Water in the fuel tank is an on-going problem for all of us. Nothing can be done to prevent it. Over time water in the fuel can and does cause problems, not least from corrosion that builds up but it also degrades the fuel itself so that the combustion process is less efficient. So for the extra cost of a good additive it probably would work out beneficial to give your car a shot in the tank as required.

I added a bottle of Fortron Diesel Fuel Cleaner and filled the tank up from an Esso station. I drove a total of 110 miles and already I'm pretty sure it performs a bit better, and more responsive. It averaged 51mpg too.