VRS DRL's

Brin

• 1 month later...

Just wondering about the vRS and lack of Fog Lights but the brochures saying Fogs lights when there are none.

so,

Been reading the brochure for a 'Subaru XV'.

About there Fog Lights, it says.

'Foglamps'.

"Multi reflector fog lamps also serve as daytime running lights,

and emit a wide, flat beam that reflects less glare in fog, for added safety".

They look pretty much the same as the ones on the vRS and some new Volvos,

must check on a Subaru XV and see if they come on with a separate switch,

or just with the rear fog light and at full DRL brightness even with Headlights on at dipped.

george

• 3 weeks later...

I still wish I could have rear lights on at the same time as DRLs. I like having the dash lit up, but prefer having DRLs on to sidelights. Sidelights are useless imo. I can't understand why sidelights should be dimmer than DRLs?

You 'can have' tail lights & rear number platelights on with the DRLs,

get them set with VAG-COM to the country that has this set up.

DRL's are brighter than Sidelights because they are for using in Daylight, & Sidelights are for using in poor light or dark and most people now use them with Dipped beam or full beam.

(as the UK Highway Code states.

Most if not all ignore the driving between Dusk & Dawn with just sidelights in street lit areas and being allowed to use only Sidelights)

&

You havem One front and rear Sidelight/tailight and number plate light acts as a 'Parking Lights' for when parked in dark or poor visibility.

vRS Sidelights are pretty bright compared to sidelights on any other vehicles, so much so that i had them half masked at one point to stop drivers from flashing me in town, because they thought i had Fog or Driving lights on when driving in the late fternoon or such and it is lighting up time and i Had Dipped headlights on..

http://www.briskoda....onfused-as-fogs

george

eg, Standard Sidelight & when Half masked until it was replaced.

Because the driver is clueless, its not the cars fault.

The Golf has DRL's so if visibility was as good as you say then there was no need to be running with dipped headlights on (and therefore cornering foglights) during the day.

I think he was running o side lights, couldn't see DRL's on but was dazzled by fecking fogs switching on and off at each blooming turn in broad daylight. If a rather bright light source switches on in my rear view mirror or on a car driving towards me (on another lane of course ) it tends to grab my attention for an instant thus distracting me a little bit and I do not like it and see no reason for it. Dipped beam equipped with "swivel function" is the answer, not "blinking fogs". It is like they know they are not able to equip certain cars at certain price brackets with the proper tech so they substitute it with "a pretend cornering lights" to be able able to add it to the list of equipment. On par with putting safety belts etc there :D

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a few people flash there light's at me already cos of my drl's, only had car 2 week's it's pretty annoying

Sod them.

They're probably the ones who drive around with not even their side lights on when it's heavy rain or foggy.

There's so many cars on the road with DRLs that they need to get used to it. It's not only the Fabia, loads of others are using round 'fogesque' looking lamps.

If they can't tell the difference between a LED light or a normal bulb, then maybe they should've gone to Specsavers :think:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I thought 'side lights' were now lawfully designated as 'parking lights' in the UK and as such it's actually illegal to drive with them on? Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Yes you are wrong.

(Rules might be outdated and people driving in town at night with only 'Sidelights' is daft, but that the UK for you.)

Is it not Taught in Driving lessons or part of the UK Driving test anymore?

Or when 'Parking Lights' are required to be used while 'Parked'.

'Parking Lights' on a vRS are switched on when parked and the key removed.

You put down the Indicator stalk to the right or left.

One front and rear sidelight & one Number plate bulb comes on.

('Parking lights' these days are maybe OK for short time use where required, and possibly when its LED's,

but lots of car batteries these days will be flat (gubbed) by morning if you used them for 8 hours.)

george

It might work now.

But it hardly matters.

A Google of 'Highway Code Uk' is always useful for drivers that never read it or learned it before taking the driving test, or kept up with it since.

or the likes of direct gov uk car lights when in doubt about them.

Hmm, just had a quick read, but it doesn't say in simple terms whether or not it is legal, or illegal to drive on side lights only. The only thing it does say is this: "ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise". With this ambiguity in mind, I dug a bit further on the 'net and it would seem that the Road Traffic Act does allow for side lights to be used whilst driving in a restricted area at night, ie. a 30 MPH limit where the street lights are no more than 200 yards apart. Whilst this may be currently 'legal', I personally will still continue to use dipped beam during the hours of darkness as there are too many people out there who look, but don't always see.

I think almost all of us use Sidelights and Dipped or Full beam, apart from those that still drive in town only on Sidelights after dark.

I often use Sidelights in Daytime on the road instead of DRL's where i want tail lights on, and where its good visibility so not using head lights.

Also when stopped in a layby off the road in the dark with the engine running on the phone or eating, i would usually have Sidelights on and not Dipped beam.

'Sidelights' as we call them in English in the 'UK', are not 'Parking lights' though,

which was the point of my reply to your question.& post #59, "Please correct me if I'm mistaken".

I liked 'Dim Dip', when we had it in the UK on some cars, in cities anyway.

http://www.theaa.com...ing-lights.html

george

'Sidelights' as we call them in English in the 'UK', are not 'Parking lights' though,

which was the point of my reply to your question.& post #59, "Please correct me if I'm mistaken".

george

Point taken.

• 4 months later...

Just wonder if anyone can help me on this

I'm trying to put a vRS front bumper with LED DRLs onto my 2012 plate Elegance

The Elegance has a fog light bulb and separate DRL bulb in the existing light unit, with two wires going into the connector into the back of each bulb

My headlights have a working sidelight bulb, so when I switch my sidelights on, the DRLs go out, unlike the vRS, where the sidelight bulb in the headlight (I believe) does nothing, but the DRLs dim a little to work as sidelights

The connector into the back of the vRS DRL looks like it has three wire connections instead of the two into mine

I know straight away that I am going to lose my fog lights, so I'm assuming that the connector into the foglight bulb will need to be taped up/isolated in some way

My thoughts are that if the LED DRL is wired up with the two existing wires such that they work as DRLs alone, there is no reason why they wouldn't still automatically switch off when I switch my sidelights on

I hope I've explained that clearly

Am I right in my thinking? And, if so, which two of the three connections should be wired up?

• 2 weeks later...

How bothered are you about drl's?

If your not too fussed, id be inclined to use the wiring to work with the fogs. Then you can turn them on/off as you wish.

On another note, if these drl's on the new bumper are LEDs, and your old fogs were halogen, you may need to put a resister in to stop it triggering the vehicle canbus system? I think, but i may be wrong

• 4 months later...

Yep, just pulled my cover off and it's exactly the same as above.  There is a big hole on the right where the switch would/should be.  I reckon they must have removed it from the latest versions.  It's bit of a pain that as I wanted to turn mine off.

I've read someone on here has pulled the fuse and the car is still running fine.  Anyone know which one it is off hand?

• Like 1

Since the switch is gone, check Fuse no. 17,  

but see that does not also put the sidelights out.

Best way to not annoy most with the DRL's is to switch on the Sidelights,

but some will still think you have Fog lights on.

• Like 1