Yeti speakers

scotchandskoda

Hi all

Has anyone replaced the speakers on their Yeti? I've been fiddling with the sound system and although it's not bad I think it could be better for not much money. I don't want it to be louder, so no need to tinker with new amps etc, just want better quality for not much outlay.

Replacement speakers are not that expensive and quite easy to fit too. I am no expert on which speakers are going to offer the best value, anyone have any experience in this?

Does anyone know the sizes front and back, is it better to replace the back speakers over the front - or all at once. I'm not sure if the little ones near the pillars (are they tweeters?) need replacing more than big ones.

I've not seen this as a topic - but I don't look every day!

Hope someone can help.

Ta

For starters I would look to replace the tweeters. The ones Skoda use are crap and destroy any sound quality in the car. They have a tiny little capacitor on the back to act as a high pass filter and it doesn't work too well according to my ears.

Trouble is, my ears are very sensitive to the higher audible frequencies to the extent where I can't be in the same room as an old telly that has a bit of a whistle to it!

Sound is of course highly subjective but I think the tweeters pump out too much tinny rubbish which just ruins everything. A decent pair of tweeters with a good HP filter will help and is cheaper than replacing the main speakers.

So far i have replaced the standard speakers with alpine 300w spr-17c in the rears and spr-17s componants in the front as you say I agree the standards leave a lot to desire this has increased depth of sound a great deal but the columbus lacks output power so tomorrow its having a jbl 4 channel amp installed to boost output.

I had to use 5mm mdf to clear the windows and the spacers provided screwed to them plus cut a hole for the tweeter which knocks the socks off the standard fit skoda fitment,on the back & front doors i have disconnected the factory tweeter.

I'll post a report after the amps in i expect a great boost to quality.

Peter

I posted previously about suitable speaker replacements but got no replies at all! :(

I have the upgraded sound system and was hoping to swap the speakers out for something better. I was hoping to drive them via the digital amp that comes as part of the sound upgrade (via a Columbus head unit) and was after recomendations. The speakers are still the weakest link in the setup, even being the Skoda 'upgraded' ones and if anyone does have sizing info it would be greatly appreciated.

So far i have replaced the standard speakers with alpine 300w spr-17c in the rears and spr-17s componants in the front as you say I agree the standards leave a lot to desire this has increased depth of sound a great deal but the columbus lacks output power so tomorrow its having a jbl 4 channel amp installed to boost output.

I had to use 5mm mdf to clear the windows and the spacers provided screwed to them plus cut a hole for the tweeter which knocks the socks off the standard fit skoda fitment,on the back & front doors i have disconnected the factory tweeter.

I'll post a report after the amps in i expect a great boost to quality.

Thanks for the help and advice Pete. The Alpines sound like a good bet, they are an established & respected name, qute pricey though, you must think they're worth it. Would you HAVE to upgrade the power for them to work well. You're spending quite a bit inc the amp, did you see anything a bit cheaper, say £50 -70 for the speakers?

Like the idea of disconnecting the tweeter.

I know with the home if-fi that speaker sensitivity is a big actor, and a low powered amp can sound fine with sensitive speakers. In a car you need some umph, enough to hear subtleties over the road noise etc. i don't really want to fiddle with that much, unless it's easy and cheap.

Interesting that the idea that the tweeters are the weak link. I'm not so kean on having to use MDF and spacers etc. Are there good tweeters that may not need any extra install work, that are roughly the same size as the existing ones? They seem to mostly come with a casing, which I suppose can be removed.

I think you hear them more than you should because they're at ear level especially the ones in the rear. So I may look at replacing them and upgrade bigger ones but to a lesser degree.

I wonder if anyone has replaced the whole head unit yet?

Hi FocusZtec

I wonder if the Columbus has a better output - I have the 6CD changer etc, would it be worth upgrading the amp on this?

Off the thread subject - How do you find the 1.8tsi? My only negative is road noise, coming from an Audi A4 - so looking forward to the new gen quiet tyres I was reading about, but it may be a while as I do such low milage.

Would love better MPG but I made the decision to get a better performance so I'd better live with it and the high price of fuel. I've had 44.9 but had to drive a snails pace.

Other than that it's cracking fun to drive and great for carrying stuff and kids.

Hi FocusZtec

I wonder if the Columbus has a better output - I have the 6CD changer etc, would it be worth upgrading the amp on this?

Off the thread subject - How do you find the 1.8tsi? My only negative is road noise, coming from an Audi A4 - so looking forward to the new gen quiet tyres I was reading about, but it may be a while as I do such low milage.

Would love better MPG but I made the decision to get a better performance so I'd better live with it and the high price of fuel. I've had 44.9 but had to drive a snails pace.

Other than that it's cracking fun to drive and great for carrying stuff and kids.

Iirc the sound system upgrade gives 40w per channel rms and comprises of 12 speakers fed by a fairly chunky digital amp which resides under the passenger seat. Id probably be willing to bet that the actual signal quality from the Columbus compared to the standard bolero may also be better. I just feel the paper speakers really let the side down. :-( Alpine is what I've had in previous cars and I also rate it exceptionally highly. It's what I'd consider again for my Yeti tbh.

OT - road noise is something I've defiantly not had an issue with, infact, sitting at 100mph it's the best car I've owned for cross euro jaunts. Very refined and hushed IMO. :yes: My summer tyres are Dunlop Sport 01's. I did notice the winters were slightly noisier however on the last trip. Best I've had has been 48mpg and that was sitting at no more than 60mph driving from southern Germany to Engelburg/swiss alps.

Iirc the sound system upgrade gives 40w per channel rms and comprises of 12 speakers fed by a fairly chunky digital amp which resides under the passenger seat. Id probably be willing to bet that the actual signal quality from the Columbus compared to the standard bolero may also be better. I just feel the paper speakers really let the side down. :-( Alpine is what I've had in previous cars and I also rate it exceptionally highly. It's what I'd consider again for my Yeti tbh.

OT - road noise is something I've defiantly not had an issue with, infact, sitting at 100mph it's the best car I've owned for cross euro jaunts. Very refined and hushed IMO. :yes: My summer tyres are Dunlop Sport 01's. I did notice the winters were slightly noisier however on the last trip. Best I've had has been 48mpg and that was sitting at no more than 60mph driving from southern Germany to Engelburg/swiss alps.

I think the Bolero has 8 speakers, just looking at the Skoda site - which has been improved & much better but not much info about the Boldero spec. Their may be more in the upper dash.

Looks like the Alpjnes then, or another brand & new tweeters if i can get them to fit OK, better the Alpines which are two way & don't need any other tweeters. Then maybe a new amp.

My issue with roads noise has been with different surfaces. It seems sensitive to different materials that make the wheel arch volume boom. But I expect it's what you're used to and it's not bad enough to worry about, will just try to fix it when new tyres are needed. I have Dunlops too, which were fine in our winter snow, no problems and the 4x4 system was brilliant. Unusual to have winter tyres here, the must be noisier. I expect some smooth continental roads are v good, not taken the Yeti abroad yet. British roads can be rough. The worst here is the stretch of the A303 through Devon which is a dreadful pink concrete mix. Maybe I need a better hi-fi to drown the sound. We could start a new thread about what Yeti drivers are listening to!??

48mpg is pretty good, I think a long slow trip - 50 mph limit due to road works - would get there but I average 35-38 on a long trip, with low 20s around town - plenty of short trips. I now have roof bars which add drag as well, add a few bits of furniture and add perhaps 10% to fuel costs if you keep the speed up.

Ok the Amps in now a Jbl Gt5-a604 which fits perfect in the underseat / under drawer area of the passenger seat and for the money including install a very worthy upgrade at £250 when you see a proper install with no wires etc.

With regard to a cheaper speaker package i tried the inphase Sxt 6.1c shallow fit first and still needed spacers to clear window but they sounded shallow to be honest no real depth so I changed them to the Alpines.With regard to the tweeters there is no real way i can see to change the factory ones from the door card they are mounted at a angle to fit behind the door handle access point and really leave no room for upgrade plus they are fairly intergrated into the door plastic.

right now the verdict:

Sharper more defined music with seperation that i can hear

much better clear midrange quality

loads more bass without distortain (especially without any subs etc)

All in all a intresting upgrade with no loss of useability of space etc in a fantastic car and put away my only complaint with the yeti audio sound quality

Now a even happier owner

Pete

Regarding the head unit if you have the columbus its brilliant with all it's intergration with the car heating seats parking sensors etc but if i did not have this i would put the inphase Ipx-vw1 in as a upgrade i fitted one in the wifes golf and i am so impressed with the quality and all in one functionality that it has plus the sat nav is better in some respects than mine.Fitting was easy aswell just a plug fit and a small aerial adaption.

Peter

Edited by Pete-n

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I fitted Alpine SPR-60C speakers (16.5cm). Great improvement to sound quality, but also shows that the stock speakers are not too shabby really. Have stuck the speakers on eBay priced at a song! Hopefully someone will buy them to fit into the rear door panels or as a back-up.