YETI 1.2 TSI Tyre wear - mileage

yetirob

My 12 month old Yeti 1.2 TSi 2 wheel drive has completed 11.5k miles. All original tyres are Continental Compact. Front tyres look like they have another 2k to go to change. What have others experienced and when due for change should I stick with Cont or change to Goodyear Exellence or Dunlop SP ?

Many thx

YetiRob

From experience with other cars fitted with the Continental Premium Contact 2 the wear rate is on the high side.

Of the options given I'd go with the Goodyears, however is there any particular reason you are considering just the usual OEM suspects :wonder: as there's quite a few other options in the 215/60 R16 size. Have you considered factors such as the weather conditions that normally prevail in your part of the country. For example a lot of rain/wet roads then Uniroyals are often a good choice or a tyre for all seasons like the Goodyear Vector 4season or for long tyre life Michelin Energy Saver are usually the best bet albeit more expensive.

Regards,

TP

My 12 month old Yeti 1.2 TSi 2 wheel drive has completed 11.5k miles. All original tyres are Continental Compact. Front tyres look like they have another 2k to go to change. What have others experienced and when due for change should I stick with Cont or change to Goodyear Exellence or Dunlop SP ?

Many thx

YetiRob

I have Dunlop SP Sport 01's as factory fitted. (225/50/17 94W if I remember correctly)

Seems a good all rounder and forum members seem to get around 18000 miles+.

I would be more than happy with that mileage. Fairly quiet too.

Not sure if available as a Michelin which were/are supposed to be renowned for long life

maybe at expense of grip.

Goodyear also get a fair amount of support.

Edited by kibby

OEM tyres doesn't have to be the same as the "aftermarket tyre" even if the tyre is from the same manufacturer and is the same model and size.

Rubber mix, thread depth, load index etc. can vary from OEM tyres to the ones meant for the aftermarket.

The reason (that i've been told by the largest tyre importers in Norway when attending a tyre related class) is that tyres fitted to new cars must perform well in handling tests, and how long they last isn't that important. A softer rubber mix and less thread depth might, leading to shorter tyre life could be the result..

This could of course be just "marketing speak" to make sure customers keep buying the brand that was fitted as OEM even if the tyre wears to fast, but it is something to consider. Especially if you are satisfied with everything about the tyre except how long it lasts.. :yes:

From experience with other cars fitted with the Continental Premium Contact 2 the wear rate is on the high side.

Of the options given I'd go with the Goodyears, however is there any particular reason you are considering just the usual OEM suspects :wonder: as there's quite a few other options in the 215/60 R16 size. Have you considered factors such as the weather conditions that normally prevail in your part of the country. For example a lot of rain/wet roads then Uniroyals are often a good choice or a tyre for all seasons like the Goodyear Vector 4season or for long tyre life Michelin Energy Saver are usually the best bet albeit more expensive.

Regards,

TP

Thx to all. I live in the depths of sleepy South Worcestershire - which was coldest GB place at -18c on Xmas Day. Most of the time its either very wet aka floods of 2007 or cold etc.

As for change of tyre type I had thought of going with Goodyear just for wear factor and cost. So if I do, should I also consider reinforced ? Ive read that there are pros/cons with these?

All views much appreciated !

YetiRob

Thx to all. I live in the depths of sleepy South Worcestershire - which was coldest GB place at -18c on Xmas Day. Most of the time its either very wet aka floods of 2007 or cold etc.

As for change of tyre type I had thought of going with Goodyear just for wear factor and cost. So if I do, should I also consider reinforced ? Ive read that there are pros/cons with these?

YetiRob

If you mean Run Flat (Reinforced side wall) they are repairable as are normal tyres if you use the tyre gunk

but most tyre suppliers/fitters won't offer to repair them so a punture means a new tyre.

Probably a bit of a fag to clean out gunge properly so would rather sell you a new tyre.

Dunlop SP'S are on sale for upwards of £135 to around £200 the norm being about £150 fitted (17" version). They do both Run Flat and Non Run Flat (normal) versions at (supprisingly) about the same price.

Skoda UK tell me no Skoda's are factory fitted with Run Flat's.

Skoda replacement gunge costs around £35 a can...although Halford's (UK) do TyreWeld alternative for about £10 a can.

Edited by kibby

The Yeti is not designed to be used with "run flat" tyres, and there are questions about the legality of using them if your car is not fitted with tyre pressure monitors.

• Like 1

I have Dunlop SP Sport 01's as factory fitted. (225/50/17 94W if I remember correctly)

Seems a good all rounder and forum members seem to get around 18000 miles+.

I would be more than happy with that mileage. Fairly quiet too.

Not sure if available as a Michelin which were/are supposed to be renowned for long life

maybe at expense of grip.

Goodyear also get a fair amount of support.

I changed to winter tyes at about 12,000 miles when the 17" Dunlops had about 5mm of tread left. 18k miles sounds about right.

Interesting fact is that the 16" winter Avon Ice Tourings have 7-8mm left after 2 seasons and about 8k miles.

John

The Yeti is not designed to be used with "run flat" tyres, and there are questions about the legality of using them if your car is not fitted with tyre pressure monitors.

Does Kibby mean extra load tyres?

John

Mine has Goodyear Excellence from new and is now approaching 9000 miles, about 4 mm left, will change the back ones with the front when it goes it for its first service.

Overall tire roar is quite high unless on the smoothest of roads, I am not sure how it fare against others as I have not tried others.

Have you considered All-Seasons?

YetiRob

Are you talking run-flat or Extra Load (XL) :wonder: As Graham suggests the run-flat is not designed for the Yeti rims and extra load may only be necessary for some winter tyre specs such as 205/55 R16 94H XL.

Details of required tyre designations can be found here Tyre & Rim Guide if that helps,

TP

We have the 17in wheels and had the Dunlop SP Sport 01s on both the Yeti and my Jaguar XF (replacing the awful Pirellis on the latter). No problems on either car, although I don't think the SP Sport 01 is available on the 16in size for the Yeti, there have been supply problems in the Jaguar size and interestingly the 17in Yeti size is now only listed on Blackcircles as a Skoda-specific tyre.

We now have all-season Nokian eNTYREs fitted to the Yeti - they are listed for both 16in and 17in sizes on mytyres.com. They perform much better than summer tyres on slippery winter roads (ice and damp as well as snow) and inspire a lot more confidence than the Dunlops in those conditions. They are very stable through standing water too. I haven't driven them through the summer but on normal dry roads they seem to have plenty of grip and no obvious vices, and they are wearing well so far. They are a good price too.

Mark

170 Elegance - just replaced all 4 tyres at 18500 miles at £600 altogether from Sinclair Skoda in Swansea, whose quote beat all others.

That 18000+ miles was a bit too far, and perhaps ought to have been 17000!

They were Dunlop SP1 Sport - and that is what I replaced them with.

From what Ive read Id say that the Dunlop SP01's are the best all rounder of the three different OE supplied tyres - based on ability in grip and coping with snow, noise levels and longevity. My Dunlops are lasting well but I do swap to WInter tyres between October and early March.

I personally have never been a fan of either Pirelli or Dunlop as a tyre manufacture overall but I have to say I think the Dunlop SP01 will take a good deal of beating as an all round tyre for the Yeti. I usually buy Uniroyal Rainsport 2's as they excel in wet AND damp conditions or Michelin Pilot Sport 2's for an out and out performance tyre. Ive just had (yesterday!) Michelin Pilot Sport 3's fitted to our other car and they feel great. They are supposed to move on from the PS2's in terms of wet handling and grip ability and are advertsied as lasting longer than other performance tyres so we will see about that... :|

Are you talking run-flat or Extra Load (XL) :wonder: As Graham suggests the run-flat is not designed for the Yeti rims and extra load may only be necessary for some winter tyre specs such as 205/55 R16 94H XL.

Details of required tyre designations can be found here Tyre & Rim Guide if that helps,

TP

Thx. I didnt mean runflats , I had those on a BMW - never again. I wasnt sure what reinforced was aimed at.

Regretably Dunlop Sp are not available for 16 so it looks like Goodyear Excellence or Nokian ?

YR

Thx. I didnt mean runflats , I had those on a BMW - never again. I wasnt sure what reinforced was aimed at.

Regretably Dunlop Sp are not available for 16 so it looks like Goodyear Excellence or Nokian ?

YR

Of those options then the Nokian eNtyre would get my vote

My link

Regards,

TP

The tyres on my, soon to be replaced by Yeti, Suzuki SX4 are Conti Premium Contacts and must say I was disappointed with the mileage the front ones have done at around 18000, the rears of course are like new and perhaps I should have swopped them round before now although there are pros and cons on doing this ie the possibility of having to buy a complete set at some time! Many years ago when I was in the garage trade Michelins were always the byword for long life and would often perish before the tread disappeared. What brand does the 1.2 Elegance usually come with?

Completed 17,000 on my Dunlop SP01s with 4mm left on front and 6mm on rears.

The Dunlops are excellent although rather noisy I find on different road surfaces.

I'll need to replace the fronts soon, anyone here ever used Kumho tyres? :yes:

I've used Kumho on a variety of cars over the years.

My friendly independant tyre dealers recommend them and seem to sell thousands .

A quality tyre at a budget price in my experience.( By coincidence the last set I bought was for the Rav4,4x4 that was replaced by our Yeti.and they were excellent.) :yes:

I've used Kumho on a variety of cars over the years.

My friendly independent tyre dealers recommend them and seem to sell thousands .

A quality tyre at a budget price in my experience.( By coincidence the last set I bought was for the Rav4,4x4 that was replaced by our Yeti.and they were excellent.) :yes:

Thanks for that I had Kumho K31s on my last VW and found them quiet with good grip but didn't have the car long enough to get a feel for tyre wear. Heard good reports over the k39s that have a rim protector. They are about two thirds of the price of the Dunlops.

:)

YR

Have you looked at the Michelin Latitude Tour HP?

I got just over 10k out of the Contis on the front and have had the Michelins on for about 6 weeks now.

Too early to say anything about wear rates but my impression so far is that grip in wet/mud is better now and the road noise may have increased but it's so slight as to make no difference (still got Contis on the back though).