YETI 1.2 TSI Tyre wear - mileage

yetirob

Anyone tried Michelin Primacy HP..Do they beat 18000 miles???

Had Michelin Energy on my Golf V TDI 4motion, sold it with 24K on the clock and still had 2.5mm + on the fronts. Probably got to 30K if I'd kept it and run it to the 1.6mm limit.

Grip wasn't to bad, in most conditions with the exception of snow.

Interesting to read weaver is running the Latitude Tour HP, noticed a least on French Yeti 4x4 is running these from their forum but no feedback given.

My link

TP

• Like 1

Not sure if this is related but have a look at these threads on the Octavia forum:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/195413-is-this-finally-the-written-admission-we-have-all-been-waiting-for/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/195467-tyre-sawtoothing-problems/page__mode__show

It seems Škoda won't fit Dunlops or Bridgstones to Octavias and in their own words stated:

Unfortunately we are unable to contribute towards the cost of either Dunlop or Bridgestone tyres in this instance.

The reason for this is that these tyres have been identified as possibly exhibiting the following characteristics :

Uneven Tyre wear due to the tread design of the tyre

Increased Tyre noise also due to the reasons of tread design

I hope you appreciate and understand the reasons for this decision.

Now I'm not sure if the same might hold true for a Yeti but food for thought anyway.

Not sure if this is related but have a look at these threads on the Octavia forum:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/195413-is-this-finally-the-written-admission-we-have-all-been-waiting-for/

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/195467-tyre-sawtoothing-problems/page__mode__show

It seems Škoda won't fit Dunlops or Bridgstones to Octavias and in their own words stated:

Unfortunately we are unable to contribute towards the cost of either Dunlop or Bridgestone tyres in this instance.

The reason for this is that these tyres have been identified as possibly exhibiting the following characteristics :

Uneven Tyre wear due to the tread design of the tyre

Increased Tyre noise also due to the reasons of tread design

I hope you appreciate and understand the reasons for this decision.

Now I'm not sure if the same might hold true for a Yeti but food for thought anyway.

How interesting!

I certainly think my Dunlop SP01s are noisy but its a bit of an extrapolation to say all Dunlops are noisy.

On the other hand I certainly wont be replacing them with Dunlops again.

:no:

• 1 year later...

I have only done 5500k miles on my 1.2 DSG, and my Continental tyres look more than half way worn. Disappointing really, but I have a very twist /hairpins drive along the coast to work. I am in Cyprus and expect the hot weather will takes its toll, so I doubt I can have the same Continentals on for this winter. Would the Michelin Energy tyres last longer/ have better wear resistance. I am also considering changing down to the size used on the greenline model, at 205/60 r16 as the tyres are cheaper and I might be able to get something better than my 35.9 mpg average. Any thoughts?

I have only done 5500k miles on my 1.2 DSG, and my Continental tyres look more than half way worn. Disappointing really, but I have a very twist /hairpins drive along the coast to work. I am in Cyprus and expect the hot weather will takes its toll, so I doubt I can have the same Continentals on for this winter. Would the Michelin Energy tyres last longer/ have better wear resistance. I am also considering changing down to the size used on the greenline model, at 205/60 r16 as the tyres are cheaper and I might be able to get something better than my 35.9 mpg average. Any thoughts?

Michelin tyres are known for long life albeit expensive, however if it lasts longer then the cost may even out. Also as stated above, the other Michelin tyre you could look at is the Latitude Tour, which is designed for SUV's like the Yeti.

Regard switching to Greenline size tyres, then I cannot see why not, as long as your insurer is happy and you appreciate your speedo and mileage readouts will be over-reading. In the UK anyway the Greenline tyre size is a 205/55 R16 91H and also recommend for all models for winter tyre use.

TP

Thanks for the reply. I will look at the latitude you mention though we are limited here on what are imported. I had used Energy's on my Touran as that used to chew through cheaper tyres and I had uneven wear too. My journey is harder on the front nearside tyres.

I looked at my spare and saw that it was a 195/60 r16 so had assumed that the greenline still used a 60 sidewall. The 55 would have an even smaller radius. I will have a chat with the tyre shop first. I also fancied something a bit tougher for off road so will have a look at those fitted to other SUV's. I have a properproper off roader, but the Yeti is good for down tracks to the beach etc.

Edited by snowplay

The Greenline does use a 205/55R16, which is the same size as the spare it came with.

Also the same size as the spare in my 4x4 Yeti, which has 17 inch rims/tyres. So seems to be a one size fits all (in the UK) spare.

The Greenline tyres are OEM Continental Contact 2 and are half worn after 9000 miles of mostly open road cruising.

• 11 months later...

My summer tyres (225 50 R17 Vredestien Ultrac Giugiaro - see Avatar) have done in excess of 28,000 miles and still have 3mm to go. They are damned noisy though and rubbish on anything less than dry tarmac!

My winter tyres (215 55 R16 Vredestien Wintrac Extreme Giugiaro) have done 26,000 miles and have 4mm to go. They are whisper quite and comfy.

And that mileage is gained on driving on rough Highland roads that wynd about all over the show!

Update on Dunlop SP Sport 01's

Fronts ...at 24500 miles 2.5 mm - 3 mm N/S, 3mm O/S even...due for change in next 500 miles or so.

Rears at 24500 miles (same mileage lol) 5.5 to 6mm both N/S and O/S.

Fairly impressive I think!!!

Need to bear in mind 225/50/17/94W's are not always available off shelf but usually only a day wait.

Edited by kibby
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

My 215 55 R16 Vredestien Wintrac Extreme Giugiaro are due for a change as now down to 2.5mm. 37,000 miles (59,500km's). Not bad at all given that they spend most of the winter going over the Lecht! I'll be replacing them like for like.

Would have thought you would have already replaced them, 4mm and or 4 years is the recommended life of a winter to be effective, according to both Skoda Auto and the tyre manufacturers.

Mind I must admit to ignoring the 4 year bit myself, although I don't go over the six years recommended for summers with any tyre.

TP

Yeti 110bhp elegance company 2wd  lease car.

Original front nearside lasted 28k, offside was replaced at 8k after a puncture, and replaced again as a pair when the nearside needed changing again at about 56K

Rears are still original at 65k with a little tread left, will need changing soon, but probably not before the end of the lease in July.

@The Plumber

I usually change my winter tyres a bit sooner than these, but as we haven't really had a winter up here (Inverness area) I haven't bothered. We've had a very dry winter so far - only driven on snow four times. Well wierd!

I'm still 6 months shy of 4 years, but I'm not so bothered by that constraint, I'd rather run them a bit longer and save the worlds precious resources.

By rotating the tyres between seasons it seems you can achieve pretty good mileage out of tyres on the 2WD Yeti. Unlike on the Forester I once owned...!

Interesting thread - just shows how varied experiences can be. My last car was a Freelander 2 and it came with 17" M&S Continentals - got 33k from the fronts and 47K on the rears so they are not that 'soft'.

The Yeti has the Pirellis (17") and at todays (9.6k) service they were logged at 6mm all round not wearing too fast. It seems the 4 x 4s are possibly less hard on the tyres. Driving style can make a huge difference too. I'm not slow but don't thrash the car either - MPG on the Landie was 37 and the Yeti is 45 (2.0L/140).

I'd like M&S tyres for the Yeti when I do change so any suggestions for the 17" wheels?

Thanks

Grumpy 

The Landie was Continentals in 235/65R17 V 104 Too much to hope for the same size on the Yeti. I did the full LR 'assault' course in my Freelander on these standard tyres and they worked really well but looks like I won't be able to get them for the Yeti.

Yeti has Pirelli P zeros - didn't get any snow to play in this winter but they cope well enough with the standing water/ heavy rain.

I'll keep researching and let you know if I find anything

Cheers

I ran my Freelanders on 195/80r15 Kumho All Terrains and never had a problem with them, including towing a Disco out of a mud hole on one of the 4x4 Response Wales events; he was very embarassed!!

I've looked for anything similar in the 225/55r17 size and haven't found a thing, but there do seem to be a few available types in the Yeti 16" size, but I'm not able to swap down a size permanently. To be honest I have found that on the Kumho road tyres I've fitted the yeti is more than capable of getting to places. It isn't and never will be a "mud plugger" but even in standard form it is surprisingly capable. (broken springs excepted!)

• 9 months later...

I've fitted Goodyear Ultragrip Perf 2's. I'm not particularly happy with them. They are quiet, but they feel very soft and vague. Drove them in snow over the past few days and they're nowhwere near as good as the Vredsteins Wintrac Extreme's I previously run. I was spinning all over the place this morning up in Glenrinnes when the Vredsteins would have kept control. Bummer! :-(

I got 42,000 miles out the Vredstein's so I ironically hope I don't get that mileage out of the Goodyears! They're next to hopeless for rough roads / tracks I drive on up here in Moray / Inverness-shire. [incidentally I went for 205 60 R16 92H - a size choice discussed on another forum topic - in the hope that the slightly narrower profile will help in snow and on the muddy tracks. It hasn't helped though.]

Here's my 50p's worth:

My 1.8TSi 4x4 was fitted with Pirelli P Zero Rosso 225/50/17's from new. I swapped them front to back each year to even out wear when removing my winters. The P Zero's had done 32998 miles when I changed them a few weeks ago, but still had 3mm left. And they had seen some mild use on the race circuit too!

My winters are Avon Ice Touring 215/60/16 on VW steels. They have done 8475 miles so far and still have 6.5 - 7mm left. They feel less precise than the P Zeros, but I expected that with a winter tyre.

After reading the various tests, I went for the new Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance to replace the Pirellis. But I'm not sure what to make of them at the moment.

Whilst I expected the steering to be lighter (because of deeper block depth on new tyres) and for the same reason, road noise is reduced, the handling is much softer and turn in is noticeably less sharp. Against that, they absorb road imperfections much better than the Pirellis and give a more comfortable ride. I've gone for extra load tyres (up from 94 to 98) as they were cheaper so I'd have expected a stiffer sidewall, but the rubber actually feels softer. I cant recall tyres before that you can actually deflect the sidewalls by thumb pressure alone.

This does give me some concerns about the risk of sidewall damage when off road, but I guess time will tell. They have a much better fuel economy rating than the Pirellis, but it's too early to tell if this will be reflected in real life.

So, which would I recommend?

The Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance for a comfortable ride, fuel economy (hopefully) and according to the tyre tests, better wet weather braking & handling.

But for dry handling, sporty feel and longevity, the Pirelli P Zero Rosso still appears to be better despite the design now being 7 or 8 years old (but from personal experience they have serious shortcomings in snow).

But until after the winter, it's the Avon Ice Tourings that Yeti is riding on, which seem to do exactly what they are supposed to at this time of year.

Update on Dunlop SP Sport 01's

Fronts ...at 24500 miles 2.5 mm - 3 mm N/S, 3mm O/S even...due for change in next 500 miles or so.

Rears at 24500 miles (same mileage lol) 5.5 to 6mm both N/S and O/S.

Fairly impressive I think!!!

Need to bear in mind 225/50/17/94W's are not always available off shelf but usually only a day wait.

And what are you thnking of replacing them with?

Very difficult problem - wheel size makes a difference also. My Freelander (17" wheels) got 33k front and 47k rear on Continentals but the profile is different for my 140 4 x 4 YETI. Just turned 19k on the original Pirellis and dealer measured 5mm front and 6mm rear at recent service - his gauge is optimistic I measure them at 4 front and 5 rear but still reasonable wear for the mileage