YETI 1.2 TSI Tyre wear - mileage

yetirob

Hi all,

I've managed nearly 42,500 miles on the original Dunlops on my 2013 Yeti 4x4 170bhp.  

Really wasn't expecting this sort of distance out of them, and still got some life left, may make 45,000, but possibly pushing it.  Worn really evenly (think it is how the Yeti sits on the road).

Now thinking of what to replace them with now.  Tempted to stick with Dunlop as I have no complaints, but any recommendations very welcome.  According to blackcircles.com:

Existing tyre rating:

Dunlop SP SPORT 01 225/50 R17 94W

• Fuel Efficiency:  F
  • Wet Grip:  B
  • External rolling noise:  68db
  • Price: £113.48 each fitted

blackcircles.com show a Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyre with a B rating for fuel efficiency (though are 1 db louder):

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 225/50 R17 W (98)

• Fuel Efficiency:  B
  • Wet Grip:  A
  • External rolling noise:  68db

Comments welcome and does anyone know if there Is a genuine approved list available for this car at all?

I think you would find that Skoda are currently fitting Pirelli Cinturano P7 which at Blackcircles are £113 today but people like openeo are cheaper at £84 plus fitting etc

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/pirelli/p7-cinturato/225/50/R17/W/98/f?tyre=33672660&gclid=CLL4-fn5ucUCFTQatAodNm0A4Q 

My plan is to go to Michelin cross climate tyres next so I can sell my Nokian shod annapurnas and stick to one year round fitment Can any one see  a catch in this plan?

• Like 1

My plan is to go to Michelin cross climate tyres next so I can sell my Nokian shod annapurnas and stick to one year round fitment Can any one see  a catch in this plan?

My tyres have reached the stage where I need to start thinking about replacements (probably another 4-6 months, so just in time for winter) and I'm also thinking the Michelin Cross-Climate could be the way to go - the reviews I've read have all been favourable. If you make the change before I do I'll be very interested to hear how you find them.

My tyres have reached the stage where I need to start thinking about replacements (probably another 4-6 months, so just in time for winter) and I'm also thinking the Michelin Cross-Climate could be the way to go - the reviews I've read have all been favourable. If you make the change before I do I'll be very interested to hear how you find them.

I'm thinking in terms of october/november time when I will offer my winters with some hope of a good sale price.

No catch at all, been running the Goodyear 4 season on this Yeti and the last one, 4 years in total they wear well never worn one out yet, changed the Yeti more than the tyres  :D.

I had a good chat with a Michelin Technical guy at the Commercial Vehicle Show last month, he may have been more a commercial vehicle expert but seemed well informed on the CrossClimate. Michelin are claiming THEIR tyre is superior to other manufacturers' offerings AND that it is not an 'all seasons' tyre but differently better-they would, wouldn't they?

Well, Michelin were the inventors of radial ply tyres so have a track record of being first in the field so maybe their CrossClimate will trump others. They say the composition of the rubber is part of their success.

As I'm considering replacing my original Pirellis either with 'ordinary' conventional tyres, all seasons or get some extra wheels with winter tyres I'm reading up on various opinions.

Inclined not to take the plunge on Michelin as no-one can review them over a period as they're too new.

Most posters on BRISKODA and other forums seem to rate the Goodyear all seasons with minor reservations compared to having two sets of tyres for summer/winter.

Please continue this thread with your opinions and experience to help us all make out our minds.

I had Kleber 'Quadraxer' all-seasons put on my 16" Moons last autumn (there's a thread somewhere).  We didn't have any snow during the winter :( but they have proved quite capable in all other conditions over the last 4K miles.  I don't know if they do a suitable 17" version.  Michelin own Kleber, apparently, which should mean something. 

I imagine it depends on what driving you do and where you live. I could not manage without proper winter tyres up here in the Highlands and my 205 width Nokians do the job superbly. I wouldn't run them in summer though as their the compund is not designed to give proper grip on warmer tarmac, I leave that to the 225 width Vredesteins.

Most people probably thought we didn't get a proper winter this year but I was driving on snow and ice regularly over the past 6 months so my view is probably the extreme end of UK driving conditions. I do go to some pretty remote places off the public highway!

If you live somewhere were you seldom encouter snow and ice then 4 seasons / cross climates will probably suffice, but don't expect wonders if you get a wintery snap.

Incidentally, as mentioned before, I had a set of Goodyear Ultragrip Perf 2 winter tyres on at the start of winter and they were diabolical - very soft and dreadful grip on snow. They were quiet though! They some came off the the Nokians went on - what a revelation. Don't know if Goodyear summer tyres are as soft or not, but I would be wary....

It might be worth waiting for reviews of Nokian's upcoming Weatherproof all year tyres. They sound similar to the Michelin cross climates. I'm not sure when they are being introduced though.

http://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-weatherproof/ and http://www.nokiantyres.com/company/news-article/nokian-weatherproof-all-weather-tyres-safe-year-round-driving-comfort/

On the subject of Nokian winter tyres they are bringing out a new one in the autumn - the WR D4 - http://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-tyres/nokian-wr-d4/

My 205/55/16 WR A3s will reach the 4mm mark at some point over next winter (4.5 - 5mm now), and my summer Dunlop Sport 01s will be due for changing (on 3mm now). I'm probably going to switch to 215/60/16 size which isn't available in A3 but is in the D4. Hopefully reviews of the Weatherproof will be out by the time I need to swap, so I can make up my mind on sticking with the biannual wheel swap or moving to an all year tyre (the Weatherproof will be available in 225/50/17 98V so suitable across the Yeti range).

One downside to all year tyres is that once you get below 4mm the snow performance will drop off, and you lose some of their advantage, so you'd end up changing tyres more frequently. It depends on how well they hold up to wear - my Nokians haven't done many miles less than the Dunlops, but have 2mm more tread left.

I've not found the need for winter tyres myself although I know some folks swear by them even down here in the SW.

Just changed my Dunlop Sport 01 that were fitted from new

Only the fronts as they were down to just below 3mm having done 34,000 miles so quite impressed with that as I generally drive quite 'sprited'

Mind you with all the electronic gear on the yeti you cant spin tyres any more and ABS stops skidding so maybe that contributes to less tyre wear.

Replaced the front with Michelin Primacy 3 as they seemed quieter and had superior fuel efficiency and grip although never had a problem with the Dunlops.

Will put Michelin on the rears as well in due course.

• 10 months later...

Just fitted a set of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 K120 225/50/17's (as per my current avatar pic). Hoping they last as long as the Vredsteins (got almost 50,000 miles out of them). So far they seem very grippy, reasonably quiet but not particularly comfortable. Yet to drive them in the wet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not found the need for winter tyres myself although I know some folks swear by them even down here in the SW.

Just changed my Dunlop Sport 01 that were fitted from new

Only the fronts as they were down to just below 3mm having done 34,000 miles so quite impressed with that as I generally drive quite 'sprited'

Mind you with all the electronic gear on the yeti you cant spin tyres any more and ABS stops skidding so maybe that contributes to less tyre wear.

Replaced the front with Michelin Primacy 3 as they seemed quieter and had superior fuel efficiency and grip although never had a problem with the Dunlops.

Will put Michelin on the rears as well in due course.

We do use winter tyres. The original Dunlop Sports have lasted similar to yours. We are thinking of replacing soon as down to 3mm and we have been pleased with the Dunlops so may buy again.  Interesting that you have replaced with Michelin; may investigate that ourselves.  Unless anyone can recommned another similarly priced tyre to the Dunlops that will exceed the Dunlop longevity etc?

We do use winter tyres. The original Dunlop Sports have lasted similar to yours. We are thinking of replacing soon as down to 3mm and we have been pleased with the Dunlops so may buy again.  Interesting that you have replaced with Michelin; may investigate that ourselves.  Unless anyone can recommned another similarly priced tyre to the Dunlops that will exceed the Dunlop longevity etc?

In retrospect I would have kept to the Dunlop's as I was disappointed that the Michelin only start off with around 6mm of tread compared with the 8mm on the Dunlops, and there is no way of finding that out until you see the tyre!

A tyre fitter told me recently that Michelins aren't as good as they used to be! I did contact Michelin over their  'scrimping' of tyre depth and they sent me some complicated reply over tyre design, safety etc which made no sense to a bear of little brain like me. Be interesting to see if they wear at a lower rate than the Dunlops.

If you are considering winters tyres there are 'all season' tyres available of course and the relatively new Michelin Cross climate gets very good reviews http://www.evo.co.uk/features/15600/michelin-cross-climate-vs-winter-and-all-season-tyres might be worth considering, I wonder what the depth of tyre tread is on those?

Cheers.

Edited by fuzzybunny

Our fuel efficiency Michelins looked half worn from new .

Is it a matter of robbing tyre life to get fuel savings I wondered.........another example of a different tyre to give less friction, thus giving a lower CO2 emission figure .

• Like 1

Dunlops,16000 miles, front 4mm, wet grip is marginally less than a ribbed condom. They have always been poor in the wet from new, either that or my driveline has always liked to hop and bang when leaving junctions when it rains. Shocking tyres.

(and before the Yeti Police jump in, my Yeti has the same driveline and engine as my Roomster which had Conti's, which were far superior tyres, and I'm a retired advanced Police driver so I don't smoke the tyres, well not in the Yeti.)

Pirelli P Zeros on our Yeti. Now on 51 k miles, but used Nokians for winter so a fairly close estimate is 35 - 36 k on the pirellis. We have found them to be perfectly acceptable, wet or dry, but quite noisy. Now down to 2 mm. so need changing. The car is going to our daughter so it will probably get Michelin cross climates to save her from the faff of changing twice a year, and we will keep the Nokians for Yeti 2. Would have looked at Goodyear for summer tyres as I use them on my Z3 to great effect!

Is it a matter of robbing tyre life to get fuel savings I wondered.........another example of a different tyre to give less friction, thus giving a lower CO2 emission figure .

There are a number of ways of lowering tyre rolling resistance to improve fuel efficiency/emissions, and reduced tread depth is one of them. Whether this shortens tyre life depends on other features of the tyre's design and construction.

Interesting thread. In defence of Continental the 17" original fit on my Freelander II did 33k front and 47k rear. Current Yeti 17" Pirelli) managed 30k front - racers still had around 4mm but all four changed for Michelin Cross Climates didn't manage to try in snow but better in wet.

Dunlops,16000 miles, front 4mm, wet grip is marginally less than a ribbed condom. They have always been poor in the wet from new, either that or my driveline has always liked to hop and bang when leaving junctions when it rains. Shocking tyres.

(and before the Yeti Police jump in, my Yeti has the same driveline and engine as my Roomster which had Conti's, which were far superior tyres, and I'm a retired advanced Police driver so I don't smoke the tyres, well not in the Yeti.)

Interesting. I have been most impressed with the Dunlops. Always felt safe plus good wear also!

Edited by survey
  • Like 1

Certainly not my experience.
  • Like 1

Certainly not my experience.

I have always found Michelins to be excellent tyres, the Dunlops I have not.