Headlamp Renovation

TriggerFish

Hi all,

Ever since I’ve had my Polo I’ve been annoyed with the state of the headlamps. A lot of polishing has got them a bit better, but they’re still marked and pitted.

P1000548.jpg

P1000550.jpg

P1000552.jpg

P1000555.jpg

P1000554.jpg

After having seen what people have been able to do with some sandpaper and time, I thought I’d give it ago.

I started off with 1500 grit paper, which after a while got the first light looking like this. While scarred badly, it was perfectly smooth now, so just had to get the transparency back.

P1000560.jpg

Compared to before (left = sanded).

P1000563.jpg

I then moved onto 2500 grit paper, which made no real difference visibly, and I forgot to take pictures. :blush:

After this I moved onto using some ‘rubbing compound’ from Halfords. I was sceptical a £6 could do so much, and was expecting to have a £200 bill from VW for a new headlight, but no, happily! If I were to do it again, I'd skip the 1500grit paper, but I guess that depends on the actual headlights.

P1000565.jpg

P1000566.jpg

Left = done.

I applied some polishes, titled ‘medium’, ‘fine’, ‘finest’ courtesy of BMW Mini, Cowley.

While not too obvious there, they’re soooooo much smoother, and all the scaring and pitting is gone. :)

P1000569.jpg

And some of them back on the car after both sides are done:

P1000571.jpg

P1000572.jpg

P1000582.jpg

P1000584.jpg

P1000575.jpg

P1000577.jpg

Before/After

beforeafter1.jpg

beforeafter2.jpg

Not bad for the sake of ~£5 worth of stuff, and a few hours work! I'd happily recommend it to people with scarred headlights, although it does take a fair amount of time and tedious, repetitive, energetic arm movement. :devil:

Thanks for reading,

Joe.

Edited by TriggerFish

Cheers!

No worries, glad to help. :thumbup: I was amazed how much difference it made really. If you google it, people have worked wonders by doing it, truely amazing! http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19255

It was either try this, for transplant some new lenses, or give VW £400 for lights. . . Easy desicion! One thing to be warey of, there's a few light marks from sanding, but I think they should polish out given some more time. Only visible from a certain angle though. I couldn't get them in the photo as my hands aren't steady enough and the light was wrong. :thumbdown:

did this to my headlights for the same reason,

you can get a kit from ebay with a polishing wheel/backing pads (and liquid compound) so you can buff it out with your drill, makes it MUCH easier!

well worth doing though!

Hi triggerfish i did this on my fabia before i sold it. Are your lens glass or plastic? I would use a sealant now like CG Jetseal109 and then you could add some wax on top to. The more you sand the more you take off of the protective layer of the lights. Also meguiars plastix is good if your lights are plastic. It does make a huge difference when your lights have the yellow tinge! Good work. It makes life easier with a DA polisher for the scratches, I'd recommend one. I brought DAS6Pro off cleanyourcar.

Hi, plastic on this. I do intend to use something like that on it at some point, just got a few assignments and stuff due for uni atm, so giving those priority. I did polish and wax them when I cleaned the car last though, but I've got headlight protectors on there, so not too concerned and the proctection side of it all. I was looking for plastix, but couldn't find any locally, but will buy some online after uni has died down - get myself a polisher too and sort the whole car out.

Thanks for the tips too. :thumbup: The eBay kit sounds good, never even thought there'd by stuff like that out there! :doh:

This is why on all my cars I've fitted the clear plasic headlamp protecters....mind you they don't seem to be making them for the new Skoda like New Roomster etc?? so if I have to get new car at least I know it can be polished out. B)

This is why on all my cars I've fitted the clear plasic headlamp protecters....mind you they don't seem to be making them for the new Skoda like New Roomster etc?? so if I have to get new car at least I know it can be polished out. B)

Why don't they do they - i am terrified of smashing my Xenon's on mine after now being on the 3rd set of headlight protectors on the Bora after they have proved their worth twice in 6 years! one a stone and the other half of a Motorway street light after a lorry on the other carriageway smashed into the central reservation as i was driving past! So a nice crack in one and total obliteration on another!

Got the protectors fitted now, the lights were that bad when I got it, sadly. £7 brand new VW off eBay - bargin!

Why don't they do they [sell protectors]

Cos then they can sell you a new headlight, at several times the price of the protector. :thumbup: [/Cynic]

Got the protectors fitted now, the lights were that bad when I got it, sadly. £7 brand new VW off eBay - bargin!

Cos then they can sell you a new headlight, at several times the price of the protector. :thumbup: [/Cynic]

Too true!!