Changing spark plugs?

Hi

Can you guys do an idiots guide to changing spark plugs...including how to avoid cross threading and torque settings?

Can you recommend spark plugs my car is remapped by Awesome GTI...PART NUMBER AS WELL and SUPPLIERS.

Oh yes its a 1.8T Elegance 4X4. Am due to get oil change and MOT done by 'family friend' mechanic. They will just do a bog standard service and get bog standard spark plug.

I want to have a go at this but do not want to mess it up.

To date I have done air filter change, dog mount bush replacement, quickshift fit (diesel geek one), throttle body clean and DV change. Just to give an idea of I can manage (not much I know).

Cheers

Aaquil

Invest in a torque wrench, gaping tool, haynes manual and decent set of sockets.

Its quite easy to do. Allow the engine to cool down. Remove the coil packs being careful to remove the wire harness without damaging the wires. Then using the spark plug key (not sure on size 10 I think) undo each plug. Inspect for oil contamination or any other signs of issues and fit new plugs. They should be torque to 30NM and do not over tighten.

The NGK BKR7E's are quite well recommended for map'd cars and are quite cheap. They are gaped to the 0.7mm.

To avoid cross threading when fitting the plugs always hand tighten them before torque up.

Invest in a torque wrench, gaping tool, haynes manual and decent set of sockets.

Its quite easy to do. Allow the engine to cool down. Remove the coil packs being careful to remove the wire harness without damaging the wires. Then using the spark plug key (not sure on size 10 I think) undo each plug. Inspect for oil contamination or any other signs of issues and fit new plugs. They should be torque to 30NM and do not over tighten.

The NGK BKR7E's are quite well recommended for map'd cars and are quite cheap. They are gaped to the 0.7mm.

To avoid cross threading when fitting the plugs always hand tighten them before torque up.

+1 on this

So easy to do..

You can get spark plug socket for the plugs (need 16mm) think that is a size 10 socket 1/4 inch fitting. These are useful as they have the rubber insert in them so when you undo plug you can pull it out. You will need a extension bar as well as the spark plugs are in deep. Generally not that easy to cross thread but just hand tighten before you use socket wrench. Also I have a grippy tool to lower the new plugs down into the head as you do not want to drop them in, apart from damaging the plugs, you could close gap up. You can't use the spark plug socket to tighten plugs up(unless you remove the rubber insert), as the socket will end up staying on the plug when you attempt to lift it out(because the rubber insert is tight)and as mentioned Gap the NGK BKR7E's to 0.7mm as you car is mapped. :thumbup:

I get the standard plugs from Skoda, and never had a single problem with them.

The standard plugs for your car are NGK PFR 6Q, and the standard gap is 0.7mm.

As Ollie said, the torque to tighten is 30Nm.

The change interval on the plugs is 4 years, or 60,000km (~40,000miles).

If the spark plug socket stays on the spark plug after doing it up, just use some needle nose pliers to carefully pull up the socket.

I also like to get a thin bit of tube and blow around the old plug before removing it. It blows out any little bits of debris that could fall into the camber or get stuck in the threads. Not a big problem on this engine as the coilpacks seal off the area, but better to be safe than sorry.

If you've done all of that other work to the car, you'll easily change the plugs :thumbup:

Just to add to liverpool lads post, version R and D are OK, according to my local dealer. Anything else, apart from the screw down packs, needs replacing as part of a new 'recall'.

Mine has version L and needs doing. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the helpful advice/information will get the spark plugs mentioned I was looking last night in Halfrauds and they did not have any. Regards the coilpack had them done by the owner/founder of Awesome GTI I had returned many time with loads of problems so he did the the coilpacks for free! I paid for the coilpacks but not the labour. He seems a sound guy.

MOT and oil change, pollen filter change tomorrow. Is the pollen filter easy should I give that a go myself as well? How do you do it?

Thanks