How to Reset the Engine ECU!

fabdavrav

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, newbie time!!

Although I can pretty much guess why you would do this, what is the actual reason why I should do this?!?

Assuming the ecu learns your driving style and gets a bit lazy and loose some poke??

• 7 months later...

Ok, newbie time!!

Although I can pretty much guess why you would do this, what is the actual reason why I should do this?!?

Assuming the ecu learns your driving style and gets a bit lazy and loose some poke??

The best example.........say you have a faulty lambda sensor which sends incorrect info to the main ecu......the ecu makes adjustments to the fueling based in bad/incorrect info.......you then replace the sensor..............it will take time for the ecu to realise that the sensor is now "correct".....

It's always best to totally clear the "bad" learnt values.......this also works if you have fitted performace parts...eg better back box.......better air filters, spark plugs....etc....etc......

Like with a computer......if all else fails reset to factory....clean install of windows!

• 1 month later...

The main correct procedure is as follows!

Turn off all electrical items, stereo, heating to cold, fan speed to "0", etc.

Disconnect battery negative (earth) clamp for 40mins.

FROM THIS POINT ONWARDS DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THE PEDALS!!!!

Reconnect battery.

Start engine and let idle for 30mins (during this time it will sound as if it will stall, and it will "hunt", this is normal!)

Switch of engine.

Job done!!! emoticon-0103-cool.gif

This process wipes the learned values from the ECU and resets to factory defaults. Then it relearns the idle values, and "adjusts" the throttle valve, which it needs to do to operate properly!!! This is a usefull "trick" for most engines, but works very well on VAG cars....got it from the head mechanic at local dealership years ago! emoticon-0103-cool.gif

Now you will have to reset the upper limits of the electric windows, and reset the central locking, reset the time on the clock, reset any HIFI settings, security codes etc.!!

To reset the electric windows insert the key into the drivers door lock, and turn the key so that the windows fully wind up and the motors stop, then hold the key in this turned position for a further 4 secs. Job done emoticon-0148-yes.gif

You say 'don't touch any of the pedals from this point on' my Fabia Greenline 11 won't start without depressing the clutch. Is there another way of starting the car?

• Thanks 1

You say 'don't touch any of the pedals from this point on' my Fabia Greenline 11 won't start without depressing the clutch. Is there another way of starting the car?

This guide was written from my info for cars before the "eco function" on the greenline cars..........................depress the clutch to start the car but if memory serves the car will not Idle with the clutch not depressed so this guide might be useless for your engine due to the "eco" electronics!!

This guide was written from my info for cars before the "eco function" on the greenline cars..........................depress the clutch to start the car but if memory serves the car will not Idle with the clutch not depressed so this guide might be useless for your engine due to the "eco" electronics!!

This 'eco' thingy has gone too far in my opinion, with low MPG on my Greenline Diesel and the engine compartment warming up to furnace temperatures to 'burn off' the particulates, far too often for my liking and now can't reset the ECU in a way you have described pretty easy. I have the VCDS 11.11 [free version] and a proper VAG lead. Have you any knowledge whether I could reset the ECU through the software?

Thanks for your comments so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you any knowledge whether I could reset the ECU through the software?

Thanks for your comments so far.

No idea ........check out the VCDS section on this forum........it's there somewhere......I remember seeing it........honest!

• 4 months later...

Hey guys. im new to the forum. I have a 2000 Fabia Elegance, 1.4, 16v....

I am having problems with failurecods that keep poping up even though ive fixed em(had it at a garage). Deleted all the codes from the CPU at the garage and the engine light was of for a couple of weeks, but the old codes came back. tried the prodecure for restarting the CPU, cant manage to do it properly i think. any specific tips? can i open doors while its running its 30min on idle?

remember, im stupid and dont know alot about cars.

Cheers, Anders

Edited by Tetlie

dont remember them all right now. but for the windows in the back, which is fine, they dont work. but changed something that had to do with the temperatur adjustment in the engine. it gave to much gasoline when starting so it smoked alot when starting/if starting, never had a problem after it went to the garage. Kinda hard to explain, but want to see if the engine light stays away for a while, cause im selling it at the end of the summer.

• 2 years later...

Just tried this a few days ago and whilst the radio, windows, central locking etc. didnt reset, doing this has definitely reduced how much the engine judders while its warming up when idle. Happy days...