Fabia Spare wheel option

I'm so glad I bought the spare wheel extra after getting the car.

Yes, it's more weight in an economical car, but in the last three weeks I've had two puctures!

One odd thing though, the standard spare supplied by the dealership as part of the package is a 195. The standard Greenline II tyres are 185.

So although the spare has a 50mph speed limit sticker on it like a space saver, it's actually wider than the tyres on the car. :wonder:

When ordering my new vRS I went for the spare wheel over the sealant.

Here's hoping I never have to use it but it will make a difference if I do!

only problem witbout a spare wheel

when you need a punture repaired

the tyre suddenly becomes unserviable

and you nead a new one kerching

When ordering my new vRS I went for the spare wheel over the sealant.

Here's hoping I never have to use it but it will make a difference if I do!

I thought the vRS was the only one that came with a spare wheel as standard? Have I imagined that?

The VRS comes with a temporary"space saver" spare wheel as standard. It is stated in the brochure and mine was delivered with one installed 2 weeks ago.

Edit

@Lee if your dealer has charged you the £65 inc.VAT for the optional extra spare wheel they owe you some money!!

Edited by Junoman

Ooer, thanks for the tip.

I'm not expecting delivery until mid-August so will query that soon!

Or buy a job-lot of tyre sealant...

Have you not read the posts above yours?

"Looks like you're in for a shock when your new car is finally delivered".

Hands up I got it WRONG 100%

We all learn some thing new each and every day - especially me - so glad I'm a member

of this forum.

Interesting thought though - why does the Fab vRS get this consideration when others appear no to do so.

Beats me. Could be something to do with the load or speed rating of the tyres being unsuitable for using the sealant? Having said that I had a Ferrari 348 that came with tyre sealant so I doubt it could be that.

Strange decisions by skoda again?!

Just rechecked the brochure and it does say the vRS comes with a space saver but does the estate? I have added a spare to the order, my fault for not reading the options properly. Saves myself £54 if it comes with one already.

My vRS has the space saver, better than tyre sellant in most respects.

Can only think they want it standard on their 'top of the range Fabia', although I would have thought it was easier to provide a space saver across the range rather than silly tyre sellant.

Cost cutting is the only answer i think.

Is the spare wheel hole not very big in the MK2? Be nice if someone with an estate and a hatch could post a picture to show what we get! If I can squeeze a full size alloy/tyre in i'll give it a go! :D

i quite like the idea of a sealant, especially if its pishing down

i had a flat a few months back and it was a right bugger to take off, it must have been put on too tight last time and in a fit of temper i kicked the bloody thing and marked the alloy, came off though but it did take ages

damned tyre fitters and there windy drills

Can only think they want it standard on their 'top of the range Fabia', although I would have thought it was easier to provide a space saver across the range rather than silly tyre sellant.

Top of the range is the elegance no spare wheel options only vrs with spare but space saver

Its not cost cutting - this has been discussed several times before. Its caused by EU emissions regulations where the weight of the vehicle is now a key element in a formula in determining its emissions category. I do not pretend to understand this formula but stripping out the spare wheel is a key weight saving measure.

The "optional" spare wheel was £65 (or was last year when I bought the wifes Fabia), and is to a certain extent a "subsidised" price. The wheel and jack etc cost a lot more if you buy them post sale from the Spares department. (I know I had to do this on my Octavia!).

I bought my wifes Fabia "off the boat" as I was not prepared to mess around with the ordering delays many Skoda customers seem to suffer with when trying to obtain a specific order. During the ordering process at the dealer I noted that every "unallocated" Fabia from the factory on the boats from the Continent at that time had the spare wheel "option" fitted. The dealer told me that Skoda appear to be listening to their customers over this contentious issue, but thought that they could not go back to supplying a spare as standard where the emissions constraints dictated otherwse.

Just rechecked the brochure and it does say the vRS comes with a space saver but does the estate? I have added a spare to the order, my fault for not reading the options properly. Saves myself £54 if it comes with one already.

My estate came with the space saver.