Fabia Spare wheel option

That's what I mean, we all get space savers instead of full size steels etc

SH@T! bit wrong innit ive a full size in the other one , well I think I have 08, if I have 16 on the car and I get a 15 spare wont it be sitting on 3 wheels anyway!!!!;)

That's what I mean, we all get space savers instead of full size steels etc

Well checked both fabia spares and they are 15" bugger how does this effect the posture I.e will the 15" not sit properly on the road i.e do the 16" wheels make the spare sit high?

MK1 vRS has a full size spare, albeit a steel with the same size and speed rated tyre.

but with a 50 mph max warning on it, the actual steel wheel isnt as substantial as a normal steel, again prolly to save weight

Edited by the mad monk

i quite like the idea of a sealant, especially if its pishing down

i had a flat a few months back and it was a right bugger to take off, it must have been put on too tight last time and in a fit of temper i kicked the bloody thing and marked the alloy, came off though but it did take ages

damned tyre fitters and there windy drills

The Fabia spare is so light it's really easy to change. I think 2 or 3 minutes.

I've had a lot of practice already. :D

but with a 50 mph max warning on it, the actual steel wheel isnt as substantial as a normal steel, again prolly to save weight

I thought it was a standard steel, but the 50mph limit is because it's a mismatched size rim with a different tread width?

I know I can fit a full size one in my estate anyway, but the Greenline tyres are only 185 wide.

Already just thinking of getting another alloy and tyre to match and ditching the spare.

The Fabia spare is so light it's really easy to change. I think 2 or 3 minutes.

I've had a lot of practice already. :D

yes it is but not much help when the alloy wont budge :'( honestly the language coming out of me wasnt for young ears so i can see the advantage of sealant. also i wonder how many drivers out there would either be a, capable of changing a wheel or b, even know how to. i read a report sometime ago and it was quite shocking how many didnt even know how to change one, scary really that they know how to drive yet basics like changing a wheel are beyond their capabilities

That is usually caused by an electrolytic reaction between the alloy of the wheel and the steel of the hub. Best way to stop it is to use a thin layer of grease (I use copaslip) between any mating surfaces.

Also whilst refitting the wheels ensure the wheel nuts/bolts are at the correct torque settings. Again I use a tiny amount of grease on the threads to inhibit rust. This may all seem a bit anal but preparation like this done at your leisure on a nice sunny day can prevent an experience like the mad monks, on a cold wet motorway hard shoulder in the pouring rain at 3 AM. Oh and before anyone has a go at me about putting grease on wheel threads, I've done it for years on road and race cars and never yet lost a wheel.

That is usually caused by an electrolytic reaction between the alloy of the wheel and the steel of the hub. Best way to stop it is to use a thin layer of grease (I use copaslip) between any mating surfaces.

Also whilst refitting the wheels ensure the wheel nuts/bolts are at the correct torque settings. Again I use a tiny amount of grease on the threads to inhibit rust. This may all seem a bit anal but preparation like this done at your leisure on a nice sunny day can prevent an experience like the mad monks, on a cold wet motorway hard shoulder in the pouring rain at 3 AM. Oh and before anyone has a go at me about putting grease on wheel threads, I've done it for years on road and race cars and never yet lost a wheel.

I have always done the grease thing,never used the copper stuff just petroleum grease on the nuts, on my elegance they have painted the hubs shiny black so maybe they have solved the binding hub to wheel on alloys.

I assumed that the (standard + bluetooth + MFSW) vRS hatchback I ordered would have the spare, as it says on the website/brochure. But when I came to check the order form it says "*2010 MY Cars Are Supplied With Repair Kit in Lieu of Spare Wheel", and I've had to pay extra to get a spare fitted. When I asked about it the dealer said that Skoda have got a disclaimer stating that specifications are subject to change without notice.

Edited by wmerrifield

I assumed that the (standard + bluetooth + MFSW) vRS hatchback I ordered would have the spare, as it says on the website/brochure. But when I came to check the order form it says "*2010 MY Cars Are Supplied With Repair Kit in Lieu of Spare Wheel", and I've had to pay extra to get a spare fitted. When I asked about it the dealer said that Skoda have got a disclaimer stating that specifications are subject to change without notice.

wmerrifield, have you the original brochure from the dealer valid for the date you ordered your car? If so and this states that the spare is included as standard I would contact Skoda customer service rather than the dealer. I can obviously see from your post number that you are not that familiar with the forum (unless you've been lurking for ages) but if you look around you will find a few examples of dealers not knowing their a**e from a hole in the ground. A case in point being the MDI cable.

Junoman,

Thanks for that. I gave Skoda Customer Services a call and was told that the spare wheel is standard on the vRS. So presumably the dealer was ... mistaken. Thanks about the heads up on the MDI cable too; I'm fully expecting them to say that the cable costs extra too now. :dull:

I'm going to pop in to the dealers tomorrow, I think.

A temporary "space saver" wheel is like a bicycle wheel!!! Very narrow and a smaller diameter!! Had one in my 96year Polo!!! It would also have very big yellow stickers on stating "50mph max, 50miles max". The tyre in the photo states 195/55 R15 this is the standard fit tyre/rim on the S spec Fabia. The tyres/rims for the Fabia are as follows; 195/55 R15 on a 6?? x 15" rim, 205/45 R16 on a 6.5" x 16" rim, 205/40 R17 on a 7" x 17" rim. These all have the same rolling circumference and will not alter the gearbox, speedo, or ride height!!!! B)