1.2 TSI engine failures?

joemaster

Here in Hungary we've heard about 1.2 TSI engine problems in the past few days. Mainly turbocharger failures but whole engine replacements too. Not only on Yeti but other Skoda models like Octavia.

Is this true?

If You had any problems with this engine or you've been using it for a long time flawlessly, please let us know!

My friend has almost put an order of a 1.2 TSI DSG but now he's confused. He is planning with this car for 7-8 or more years and does not want to buy a bunch of problems.

Thanks for any real, own experiences You'll share with us!

If any of You have info on launch of Yeti 1.4 TSI with DSG gearbox, also tell us please! :-)

Mine has just had a new turbo at 2700 miles due to a fault code/technical bulletin rather than any specific failure - it drove fine. I can get the technical bulletin reference number later if needed.

I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Fault Code was P334BOD, Tech bulletin was BAID30068470. I can't remember the actual description of the problem but I would imagine someone on the forum could track it down. I had a Golf 1.6TDI as a replacement and can confirm I much prefer the Yeti (including the engine - although not as economical as the Golf!)

Edited by FabiavRS635

My Yeti has 13000km on the clock, not a single problem with the engine. But I somehow managed to burn the cluth 2 times on a steep road (30m climb)with 3 adults in the car, the first time reversing, the second time in 1st gear. I climb the same steep road with my VW Golf 1.9 TDI (2000)with such an ease that it is very strange the Yeti was struggling halfway already.

Check this thread as well http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/200209-poorly-yeti/

Edited by cackok

10,000 miles and not an hint of trouble..apart from high oil useage, which looks to have fianlly settled

Glad to hear that. My wife's Fabia TSI (85) also suffers from high oil consumption. But apart from that it runs really really well and is a nice smooth engine.

No other problems.

Edited by Minimoke

My Yeti has 13000km on the clock, not a single problem with the engine. But I somehow managed to burn the cluth 2 times on a steep road (30m climb)with 3 adults in the car, the first time reversing, the second time in 1st gear. I climb the same steep road with my VW Golf 1.9 TDI (2000)with such an ease that it is very strange the Yeti was struggling halfway already.

Check this thread as well http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/200209-poorly-yeti/

Hi!

I have a 1.6 MPI Octavia2 and have had the same problem. I have no ESP but ASR only. My friend's Octy2 1.6 MPI has ESP. We both experienced this and the smell too... :-) I think the problem is that ASR takes back the engine rev too early, even before the car would start, so You will not be able to start only the clutch plate is burning. With less rev the engine chokes, with more rev You'll start but with a burning clutch.

I tried this with ASR turned OFF and no problem or burning or smell anymore!

My friend called me in dispair from Greece that he might burned the clutch on his new Octy because he tried to park reversing up on a steep road. I told him this trick with turning off the ASR, or ESP, since he has ESP. It worked!

Maybe, the programming of ASR is not optimal, since my car is MY2005 and his MY2008.

With ESP or ASR turned off the car behaves like a "normal" car without any electronic intervention and You can surely find the right point where the clutch pedal should be held to move out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Skoda Octavia 1.2 TSI BUSINESS 2years old and 2 months ( did you notice just 2 months after factory warranty) , 42.000km - ENGINE NEEDS REPLACMENT , the **** part is i missed the 30k official service so now my warranty is gone and the service shop want to screw me over for the entire engine replacment aprox 3500€.

15k for a car that BREAKS DOWN AFTER 2 YEARS.

I SPOKE TO SOME FRIENDS IN THE AUTOMOTO BUSINESS (proffesional drivers and mechanics that can dissaseble a race car practicaly blindfolded) AND THEY ALL SAID THERE IS NO CHANCE IN HELL THAT A MOTOR CAN BREAK DOWN EVEN IF RUNNING FOR 50k km WITH NO OIL CHANGE AS LONG AS THE OIL LEVEL IS OK.

CONSIDERING THEY WANT TO REPLACE MY ENTIRE ENGINE, I GUESS ITS ALL BAD (every single component) I DONT THINK SO , I THINK THE WANT TO SCREW ME OVER AND SELL OFF THE GOOD PARTS, BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY THINK I WILL LEAVE THE OLD ENGINE WITH THEM. (I SAY F... YOU)

Meanwhile i did some research : http://www.briskoda....tavia-and-yeti/

AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED , THE CAR DURING DRIVING SUDDENLY LOST PRESSURE AND WENT TO FAIL SAFE MODE (mx 800-1200rpm) AND THE SHOP CLAIMS (funny they only talk to me over the phone , nothing written no emails...) THAT 24W6 IS NOT RELATED TO THE FAULT THAT LEAD MY SKODA TO THE POINT OF THE ENGINE NOT HAVING PREASURE.

AND THE FUNNY THING IS THAT THIS 24W6 IS BY FACTORY INFO NOT MANDATORY SO THE SERVICE SHOP DID NOT CALL OR EMAIL ME TO COME IN FOR THE FIXUP.

ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO HANDLE THE SITUATION EXCEPT LEGAL COMPLICATIONS OF COURSE.

PS: SKODA SIMPLY CRAP

PS2: MY PREVIOUS OCTAVIA 1997 HAD 250k on her AND IN 4,5 YEARS NOT A SINGLE FAULT.

Edited by staysecure

• 1 year later...

Regarding engine failures on the 1.2 TSI engine, I have just sent my Yeti to the workshop with warning lamps lit on EPC, traction control and exhaust control. The mechanic says that the turbo has failed. Luckily, my warrant only expires next month.

However this is the second time the turbo fails in less than 4 years and at about 69,000 km from new. Any further comments from the community will be helpful.

Peter