[How to] Full LED upgrade Superb mk1 2002-2008

Cown

Dear Community,

Once again i've decided to do some decent upgrades to my 2002 TDI130 Superb MK1. This time i thought that it would be nice to have LED in all the lights on the car. Therefore i initiated the project and here is how i accomplished my goal. Hope you enjoy.

First off, the goal itself was to change the blinkers, break lights, reverse lights and normal back lights including the fog light. The Superb is equipped as followed:

• Front/Back Blinkers [PY21W]
  • Stop Lights [P21W]
  • Back/Fog Light(s) [P21/4W]
  • Reverse Lights [P21W]

So i started testing and searching the web for different kinds of LEDs and let me just say, after spending endless $ € £ - there is a lot of **** out there. But i guess you dont care and only want me to get to the point, so this is what i ended up using:

From

http://www.wardenjp.com/

1. [1] Front/Back Blinkers [PY21W]
Blinkers 2pcs 7507 BAU15S 13 High Power LED (Amber)
[2] Stop Lights [P21W] Break Lights 2pcs 1156 382 BA15S 13 High Power LED bulbs (RED)
[3] Back/Fog Light(s) [P21/4W] Back/Fog Lights 2pcs 1157 380 BAY15D 13 High Power LED bulbs (RED)
[4] Reverse Lights [P21W] Reverse Lights 2pcs 1156 382 BA15S 14 Ultra Power LED bulb (Xenon White)

I know I know.. The prices are high and what about the import taxes!!!? Well this guy, who owns the website, his uncle works at the toll import, Frankfurt, Germany. So what he does is: Send your stuff to the tax office where his uncle works. His uncle approves the goods to a value of €7 and the re-dispatches it to whatever country in Europe you might live in. So can we move on now? :-)

Well i had the LEDs that i wanted and had tested before hand over a period of approximately 6 months. They are great. But i quickly found out, that fooling the Superbs computer into thinking there was normal bulbs fitted to the car, is close to impossible. My work around to this was:

- Find someone with VAG COM that can access your cars computer. Then code:

[17 - Instrument] ->

[07 - Kodning] ->

??xxx: Extra Equipment

+08 = Control lamp for faulty bulbs

After this no more BEEP if a bulb is not working. Of course this also means, you have to check for faulty headlights more often manually. :-)

Anyways even though this removed the annoying BEEP sounds it did not solve all my problems. I changed all bulbs to LEDs and suddenly funny things started to happen...

[1] The first problem you can probably guess pretty easily: blinkers are blinking too fast and it sounds like a broken bulb.

[2] Under the steering wheel at the break pad, there is a sensor that measures whenever you press the pad or not. This tells the system to show the break light and also deactivate the auto pilot if engaged. Because i had changed the break lights into LEDs the computer got an "implausible" signal. This meant warning lights on the dashboard and suddenly a faulty auto pilot. First off i thought the car actually had serious problems and rushed to the work shop. I spend HOURS and LOTS of money trying to figure out what was the problem. It was all fixed when i changed back to normal break lights...

Now you might think, why are you this stupid? First off thx, and secondly the errors and warning lights came sporadicly. The first time was 2 days after i fitted the LEDs and had a long drive. I knew the turn signal would probably do as expected, but i know a few car models, like Toyota has a relay that will blink normal no matter the voltage use.

Now that i knew this i asked a friend of mine about using resistors and i eventually got it working without problems. So the installation begins...

I'll mostly let the pictures speak for themselves.

First, what did i use?

01.JPG

Resistors = 10 OHM 25W Load Used for front blinkers/turn signal and break lights, so 4 resistors in total.

Trust me, you will need the cooling plates.

02.JPG

03.JPG

Resistors = 8 OHM 25W Load Used for back blinkers/turn signal.

04.JPG

05.JPG

Solder.

06.JPG

Used the 3mm for small holes in cooling plates.

5mm for holes in plastic and iron on the bulb mounts.

Build begins.

07.JPG

The model itself. Already fitted the resistors and cooling plates. Should give you an idea of how i did it. Use it as you want.

08.JPG

09.JPG

10.JPG

Hole is for the negative connection (-).

11.JPG

12.JPG

Negative cables mounted to the resistors via the hole drilled earlier.

13.JPG

14.JPG

15.JPG

Remember not to use the solder on your fingers...

16.JPG

And remember to advise the wife of how long it takes or else..

17.JPG

Preparing cables for + side connections to the model:

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

I drilled up VERY CAREFULLY with the 5mm drill from the back so that i could get a positive connection.

12-1.JPG

It took me a lot of retries so if you decide to do this please be very careful...

22.JPG

After drilling a connection can be made with the cables prepared earlier.

23.JPG

Connect from the back.

24.JPG

Solder to make it stay there...

25.JPG

26.JPG

27.JPG

28.JPG

I cut the cables so that i can later fit halogen bulbs if needed.

Front turn signals:

39.JPG

Carve a hole in the plastic as shown. Make it big so the solder iron can get in there and make a good connection.

40.JPG

41.JPG

Remember to add silicone to holes.

42.JPG

Strap it on as shown. Make sure to strap it on tight.

43.JPG

44.JPG

45.JPG

46.JPG

47.JPG

48.JPG

49.JPG

All done.

Estimate time used = 5 hours.

Estimate beers drunk = 7. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok i took some video. It's not perfect, but that's what my HTC Legend can manage.

LED to the left and halogen to the right:

YouTube

Hope it sheds a little light over the installment.

• 4 months later...

Did all my lights a while back and found places to fix ballast resistors to without using a heatsink- ie the body. Also changed all interior lights to LED to give the same feel. I also found space to pit LED strip lights in the rear cluster and beneath the headlights. Some people might think this a bit cheesy but the rapid switch on of LED's makes them a safety feature... Has any one tried LED replacements for front fogs- are they bright enough? My experience with 'high brightness' LEDs for domestic replacements for halogens has been unsuccessful to date.

Did all my lights a while back and found places to fix ballast resistors to without using a heatsink- ie the body. Also changed all interior lights to LED to give the same feel. I also found space to pit LED strip lights in the rear cluster and beneath the headlights. Some people might think this a bit cheesy but the rapid switch on of LED's makes them a safety feature... Has any one tried LED replacements for front fogs- are they bright enough? My experience with 'high brightness' LEDs for domestic replacements for halogens has been unsuccessful to date.

I've done the same, with my interior lights using Philips LED's from PowerBulbs.com. I want to put strips in my boot to get a better light, that's my next project. I've tried a few fog LED's from China but haven't found anything even close to bright enough vs original halogen. I have a long term project though to add high power LED's to my long lights. I've got a friend helping me with that, and i think we might be able to fix it next summer. (4 x Samsung 10W High power Cree LED's 5000Kelvin)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am in awe of the extent of the groups knowkedge and willing ness to share, but I regret that I cannot follow the thread, i realise its me not up to it technically!

If you could help with more basic bits about how I might fault trace a random dipped headlight fault please ?

I have read so much and tried so many garage sources to trace the fault, I am just totally confused.

Is it the computer ? How do I identify the bulb type fitted ( it has a brand new VW ballast) and what if any is the effect of battery condition or ambient temperature ?? Could it be the in cab light switch ?

More greatful for any help or advice

Phil

I've done the same, with my interior lights using Philips LED's from PowerBulbs.com. I want to put strips in my boot to get a better light, that's my next project. I've tried a few fog LED's from China but haven't found anything even close to bright enough vs original halogen. I have a long term project though to add high power LED's to my long lights. I've got a friend helping me with that, and i think we might be able to fix it next summer. (4 x Samsung 10W High power Cree LED's 5000Kelvin)

I got a pair of H3's from Ebay but couldn't get them to fit in the hole - They were about half as bright as a 55W halogen amd had 68 LED's. May find a use for them somewhere else. Now looking at fitting an HID kit to fog lights.

• 2 years later...
Hi.

I've installed turn signal front and back PY21W LED in a Fabia I.

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to mount just 2 pieces resistors at the wires who is connected to the CCM: turn signal L and R.

Has anyone done this before?