Monte Carlo Grill Mod - Fitted

tom_kvrs

You stole my post lol. The joys of copy and paste :-)

just had the black part of the grill done on my white vrs with black roof looks a lot better

Where are you buying these grill parts? From a dealer or can you get them from ebay or another website?

Ive a green with black roof, black alloys VRS FABIA mk2 and I think with that as its the only crome part looks a bit silly, I think the black will finish it off.

Also how easy is it to replace?

Cheers lads

Edited by Tinkle22

Where are you buying these grill parts? From a dealer or can you get them from ebay or another website?

Ive a green with black roof, black alloys VRS FABIA mk2 and I think with that as its the only crome part looks a bit silly, I think the black will finish it off.

Also how easy is it to replace?

Cheers lads

Direct from dealers :thumbup:

top one, is easy pop the holding screws in place, then undo the torx screw. the bottom one wasnt as easy in the end it came out in bits and bobs after snapping the lugs from behind. in all took half hour. :thumbup:

Bothering you guys again. i went into a dealer and the numbers for the parts where the chrome grill. Dealer is looking at trying to get me the black one by contacting Skoda UK.

Bothering you guys again. i went into a dealer and the numbers for the parts where the chrome grill. Dealer is looking at trying to get me the black one by contacting Skoda UK.

Your dealer is talking rubbish! Below is my original post. Defo these numbers as I took them off the boxes!

Right then. These are the part numbers:

5J0853607B for the smaller strip that goes around the sides and bottom of the grill.

5J0853633B for the top bonnet panel which includes the badge.

I also got some spare clips for the top panel as I didn't know exactly what was underneath of if they were on the new part.

5J0853139A for the clips. To be honest you'd be ok without spares as they come on the new part but at least I have spares. They come in a pack of 3.

The first 2 parts above are labelled Monte Carlo on the package stickers.

The parts cost me about 62 quid in total. I know I could have had them sprayed but I thought I'd just swap the bit. Simples!

The top badge/bonnet part is easy to fit as you can see all the clips and takes 2 mins. However the grill strip was a bit tricky. I unscrewed the 2 torx bolts and removed the 2 plastic lugs. You need to lever the small plastic pin up and out of each lug first. It's then a case of using a trim tool or wide blunt screwdriver etc to remove push in the bits that hold the grill to the bumper section. We had to place a mirror on the polystyrene to see underneath to see what we were doing. You can get you hand and arm down behind the grill section by just easing it out a bit. It's quite flexible. Just take you time! Once the grill is out the strip can be removed easily from the grill and the new one fitted. It's then a case of reverse your steps. Oh and by the way a good torch is handy even when daylight as we found out and it's a bit dark in there.

We will take some photos this weekend to make it clearer and to show you how it looks. If you live in or around the Yorkshire area we can help you do it if you like no probs.

Well happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add my pics off the montecarlo-grill aswell then!

241122-2412829.jpg

241122-2410545.jpg

Is there any update on the pictures for how to remove the bottom part with out damage? top was easily done :D

I don't have any pics off it, but I can go through the steps to get it done atleast.

Step 1: remove the bolts on top off the grill. (the bumper-part)

Step 2: remove the plastic "bolts" on top off the grill (the bumper-part)

Step 3: bend the plastic a little to reveal the plastic fittings. the thing you are looking for is the plastic which is splitted, push that out with a "plastic crowbar" (the swedish name for it translated, don't know a better name for it)

Step 4: the grill is starting to come loose when you push the rest off the fittings out off the holes, just be patient and don't try to bend them.

Pushing them in the right direction should be enough.

Step 5: Now you should have the whole grill in your hands, go ahead and go nuts on the rest off the fittings that hold the chrome (you spot them very easily, they're chromed *duuuh*).

To reassemble it again, backtrack all the steps.

If you don't understand what I mean, just gimme a pm or write in the thread and I'll go out and gather some pictures off it!

Edited by Confide

Cheers for the help CONFIDE took me 10 minutes to do after I read you how to, pictures would help others in the future tho, as I was in a rush I didnt have time to take any. Appriciate the help.

Have a question for you, is that splitter on the front the one off the monte carlo? How much was it?

Cheers

Marc 'Tink'

Cheers for the help CONFIDE took me 10 minutes to do after I read you how to, pictures would help others in the future tho, as I was in a rush I didnt have time to take any. Appriciate the help.

Have a question for you, is that splitter on the front the one off the monte carlo? How much was it?

Cheers

Marc 'Tink'

Your welcome, always great to help out someone tho actually thanks too xD!

The splitter is not from a monte carlo, it's actually an old Seat Leon Cupra-splitter!

It's a horrible fit to be honest, but with a hot air-gun and some self-tapping screws it ended up with that (the upper picture got a thin layer off black with pearl-effect in it!).

Really happy with that cause in the flesh, it does look like it should be for that car :D!

I hope Confide doesn’t mind me using his description from the above post. It just saves me having to type it all out in my own words. But I’ve added some pics and a bit more text to help to help

Step 1: remove the screws on top off the grill. (the bumper-part)

5948131906_359e4d7d45_z.jpg

Step 2: remove the plastic pins on top off the grill (the bumper-part). These are serated and need to be levered out, I used a thin flat bladed screw driver to start with then an open ended spanner to lever it all the way out.

5947579527_ec5bafd754_z.jpg

Step 3: bend the plastic a little to reveal the plastic fittings. the thing you are looking for is the plastic which is splitted, push that out with a "plastic crowbar" (the swedish name for it translated, don't know a better name for it. There are 4 plastic clips on the grill ,2 on each side, holding it on so these need to be released. To help remove the grill which was a little tight on mine, I replased the outermost screws on the top of the grill. Before doing so I lifted the plastic of the grill a little and slid the screw underneath so it just fastened the top of the bumper back onto the car and not the grill. This stopped the top of the bumper moving when you tried to remove the grill

Top clip and hole. Shows screw in top of bumper to stop bumper moveing

5948134746_41b131729c_z.jpg

Side clip This can be reached through the holes on either side of the top of the bumper

5948135276_0d82401b19_z.jpg

Side clip hole

5948153628_0c698ee6b9_z.jpg

Step 4: the grill is starting to come loose when you push the rest off the fittings out off the holes, just be patient and don't try to bend them.

Pushing them in the right direction should be enough.

Step 5: Now you should have the whole grill in your hands, go ahead and go nuts on the rest off the fittings that hold the chrome (you spot them very easily, they're chromed *duuuh*).

To reassemble it again, backtrack all the steps.

Hope it helps and thanks to Confide

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who has posted thus far, the mod look amazing. I will definately be doing this. One more question though- Is it possible to add the monte carlo style smokey headlight to the VRS?

Thanks

Mat

In your case no since you have the curve-lights...

Anyone thought of fitting the black arch bits from the Monte to the vRS? Would it fit?

just buy a monte in the first place,then no mods are required,as its already a nicer car than the vrs,but cheaper to run and with a proper gearbox, the car is more in the spirit of the original vrs than the current vrs which looks no different to the base model

Anyone thought of fitting the black arch bits from the Monte to the vRS? Would it fit?

I would also like this. I would state that the vRS are alot more fun to drive depite the "flaws" described in the post above...

Another problem for me (and some others on this forum) was that the monte-carlo isn't on offer in our countries, yet the spareparts are availabe ;).

So I would like to bump the question again... can you attach the wheel-arches to a vRS?

just buy a monte in the first place,then no mods are required,as its already a nicer car than the vrs,but cheaper to run and with a proper gearbox, the car is more in the spirit of the original vrs than the current vrs which looks no different to the base model

Lol! Yeah, just buy that If you only care showing-off while parked, and uploading photos on FB... How can the Monte Carlo be closer to the spirit of vRS having the same front looking as any normal Fabia, and especially such common sub-systems as the 5-speed manual gerabox, drum rear brakes, standard differential (not an XDS one) and most important, such weak motors? Maybe you have misunderstood what the real vRS spirit is all about...

Now I don't say the monte is a bad car, it's a nice looking alternative to the standard fabia, but that's as far as it can get. The vRS is a completely different class and comparing monte's equipment with all the technology and performance the vRS packs is just ridiculous... You bought a monte, fine, no need to prove anything to anyone...

Edited by newbie69

Lol! Yeah, just buy that If you only care showing-off while parked, and uploading photos on FB... How can the Monte Carlo be closer to the spirit of vRS having the same front looking as any normal Fabia, and especially such common sub-systems as the 5-speed manual gerabox, drum rear brakes, standard differential (not an XDS one) and most important, such weak motors? Maybe you have misunderstood what the real vRS spirit is all about...

Now I don't say the monte is a bad car, it's a nice looking alternative to the standard fabia, but that's as far as it can get. The vRS is a completely different class and comparing monte's equipment with all the technology and performance the vRS packs is just ridiculous... You bought a monte, fine, no need to prove anything to anyone...

yes you are right,you know more than me about vrs,ihave only owned every type of them sincetheir launch in 2003,and test drove the new one and found it was a car that controlled the driver,rather than the other way round which is why i bought a monte,but then what do i know

yes you are right,you know more than me about vrs,ihave only owned every type of them sincetheir launch in 2003,and test drove the new one and found it was a car that controlled the driver,rather than the other way round which is why i bought a monte,but then what do i know

Sure you do. My mother also drove a lot of cars since the 70's, but little can she understand about car technology and behaviour. Does that by itself make her opinion more reliable than yours? I don't think so. On the other hand, I mentioned some facts which prove the difference between an RS and a beautifully colored normal fabia as the monte. Of course the vRS is not the most enjoyable sport-ride out there, but if you seek for such one, you would be better off with a Clio RS or a Cooper S. Certainly not a Monte though! Really, If you publicly admit that you chose a Monte over a vRS for its "sportier" character I will give up! :rofl:

Unless of course your idea about a sport ride, is "taming" 105 very mean horses...

Edited by newbie69

having done a run in the VRS behind an monty I can safely say a VRS will monster a monte on pace, acceleration and handling etc.

Does that mean its less fun or a less valid choice NO but your complaining about some of the key things that enable the VRS to monstor the monte you just have to accept the tech and get used to it as it bloody well works

having done a run in the VRS behind an monty I can safely say a VRS will monster a monte on pace, acceleration and handling etc.

Does that mean its less fun or a less valid choice NO but your complaining about some of the key things that enable the VRS to monstor the monte you just have to accept the tech and get used to it as it bloody well works

Don't bother. It's as silly as claiming that a cube rolls faster and better than a sphere.

But I'll give to him the fact that he could not feel safe in the MKII vRS. There is a big gap between the two versions of the vRS's, in fact I'd say the only common is the name. MKI was a decent 130bhp hot hatch, with a big motor but nothing fancy or really close to a "sports car experience". The MKII is a true pocket rocket and its not only about the 40% more horsepower. It mainly is about the torque that is surprisingly available everywhere along the rev range which assisted by the XDS and DSG makes it run like hell. In that way I can accept that he feels he cannot control this car and needed a slower ride. That's not to blame. But it does remind me of an old sayin' (don't know where this originates)

"Whoever on the road is slower than me is a bloody turtle, and whoever ovetakes ME is a lunatic that needs to be locked up."