Monte Carlo Grill Mod - Fitted

tom_kvrs

Don't bother. It's as silly as claiming that a cube rolls faster and better than a sphere.

But I'll give to him the fact that he could not feel safe in the MKII vRS. There is a big gap between the two versions of the vRS's, in fact I'd say the only common is the name. MKI was a decent 130bhp hot hatch, with a big motor but nothing fancy or really close to a "sports car experience". The MKII is a true pocket rocket and its not only about the 40% more horsepower. It mainly is about the torque that is surprisingly available everywhere along the rev range which assisted by the XDS and DSG makes it run like hell. In that way I can accept that he feels he cannot control this car and needed a slower ride. That's not to blame. But it does remind me of an old sayin' (don't know where this originates)

"Whoever on the road is slower than me is a bloody turtle, and whoever ovetakes ME is a lunatic that needs to be locked up."

Pulled off a roundabout at the same time as a guy in a MK1 Vrs who was looking to "compare" shall we say... Parents used to have one and it's the reason I bought the new one so I mean no disrespect when I say this because that car was awesome...But I didn't have to try too hard to stay ahead! as expected though with 50 horses extra and a whack more tech!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some great pics of Vrs with the black grille here. Also some great tips on how to do it. Not sure if I'll do it with mine, but its well worth thinking about. Thanks to you all.

• 2 weeks later...

I got quoted these prices yesterday:

5J0856307B - £21.28

5J0853633B - £40.56

5J08531391A - £0.62

I guess the last price is the clips?

You won't need them 'mon, they should already be on the grill when you get it...

Otherwise, you can always use them on your old grill =).

Well after the messing round of the grill from one dealer that never had the badge or any clips on, i finally got the correct one from another dealer. And here we have the pics!!

Before

IMG_0883.jpg

During

IMG_0885.jpg

And the finished product!

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

I think it really finishes the car off and i'm well impressed

• 2 months later...

WOW! This went from a nice "Mod" post to a **** (Short for Richard) Measuring competition, all because some like a different version of the same car! In all of this, some poor ol' sod was asking if the wheel arches and stuff fit a Vrs, getting totally ignored! To him/her, I think the bumper trims are different so you may have to swap more parts than you thought, or have them not quite marry up! That said, the bodyshell should be the same so I guess it IS possible. Seems no-one has tried so you may be a first timer. B)

Among all the **** (Sort for Richard) Measuring, I think the winner was the person with the 2012 model, as they already have the highly acclamed and sought after black grille bits from the factory... I am thinking this was going to be obvious sooner or later (Hardly likely Skoda would reserve a novel grille for just the monti) so now all the "Individual" owners will look just the same again! :D That said, in a post about winter grille covers, the link to the covers (And, yes, they do newer shape ones now, too), Has the seller offering these black Monti grilles... Not sure if they beat the Skoda prices but I think they are genuine parts, so wiorth looking prior to spending.

On a personal taste note, Whilst I like black, I think they suit the black car but look a bit "Chav" On other colour models... It would be nicer to see colour coding across the range.

Plus, I think the chrome looked quite nice to start with. Again, black and chrome is ALWAYS a winner. You will regularly see this combination from limo's, to classic vehicles throughout history and also, on one of the biggest modding scenes, Motorcycles. Particularly cruisers, from Harleys, to Honda's.

This is just my opinion, for all it's worth, so no need for handbags at twenty paces! :giggle:

Edited by mrgf

So the black pack from Skoda is finished in gloss black... if I changed mine, I'd colour code the top part. Unsure about bottom lip... perhaps black. Does anyone sell these in unfinished ABS Plastic ready for paint?

Alternatively, is there now a whole load of chrome pieces sat round doing nothing..?

Afraid not as far as I could find out from the parts department in the local dealers they come in chrome or black.

I would think the black pad will be easier to repairt for a body shop than the chrome finish though.

what is a monte grille, isn't just just a normal grille in black. if so, it might be cheaper to vinvyl wrap it or get it painted.

They never look right painted. Soon as there's a few stone marks on there, it'll look naff.

And Now For Something Completely Different

grill1n.jpg

It's only half way done as I ran out of time trying to remove the lower part, and needed the car drivable for getting to work

• Like 1

Thats a monte black piece.

Keying chrome is a monumental pain in the arse. It also means I can return the car to standard at some point in the future should it be required.

• 2 weeks later...