Border Cars - Workington

Originally posted by sharkrider - Tue June 8, 2011

Here's my review after my first 10,000 mile service for the new fabia II vRS:

Nice premisis, all new, a viewing area so when you have your car serviced you can watch, and a nice big lounge upstairs with TV ect.

All the staff are pleasent and friendly, nice that they remember your name and try to give you a personal service (which is what I liked about the small family run fiat garage I used to go to, sometimes with the big dealers, the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing!) Thankfully that isn't the case here..

my service: was going to take an hour, but there was a problem with the oil filter they were sent, it didn't include the spring loaded rubber seal, this obviously halted my service as they needed to send for another one, they tried to use the other seal (as they didn't initially know that you wern't to swop them over..) but this leaked oil inside my engine bay emoticon-0106-crying.gif .. anyway, they ordered another (and Mark the service manager checked with some other VW and Skoda garages, that they were getting the right part) and they gave me a car to go away in until today, so not too much hassle.. anyway, I went back today to find my car had been done, it had also had the engine bay cleaned nicely, and they also valeted it for me (inside and out) so looks all new again :thumbup: This happily made up for my mild inconvieniance. The inspection showed no faults (well done skoda) and 7 mill on the rear tyres (the contis) and 5 on the front. I also knew the coolent was a little below the minimum, they spotted this and have topped it up :thumbup: so all is now good.

overall good service, the peronal approach of the staff (thanks to Mark and Laura) and the genuine enthusiasm of the sales staff (I chattted to one of them about the new vRS for ten minutes, some salesmen don't even know about the cars they are trying to sell! lol..) and the attention to detail (the coolent, and the nice valet for my inconvieience)

AND the cost £83

means I will definatley be going back for my services and probably for another vRS in 3 years time!

recommended.

• 1 month later...

jury's still out on these guys

ordered in march and the only contact ive had from them is when ive instigated it by popping in (only 3 times in 17 weeks so hardly bugging them) and each time when there going to phone me back with a query ive had they haven't and ive had to phone them. still waiting now even though i was told " I'll definitely phone you back today " and now its nearly 9 pm

so far not so good is it?

they gave me a loan car whilst my mk1 was in, loan car was 2 days out of tax!! not good imho

Edited by the mad monk

• 1 month later...

Took my dads cars here for a timing belt and mot, they did it all and turned out cheaper than the local independent garage plus they also gave the car a valet inside and out. Verdict = impressed so far.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Glad I found this, I'll be booking mine in with Border Cars for a major service in the next month.or so :)

Update, The vRS is booked in for a major service next Monday @ 9.30am - I used the online service booking process and received a phone call today to ask which day & time I'd like to book the car in for. They also asked if I needed any other particular issue with the car looked at.

Will update next week with my experience.

Edited by VRSD30

• 2 weeks later...

Well my vRS had the major service yesterday total cost of £249 + £12 - They charge £12 for the courtesy vehicle! Not very happy tbh with my first experience after the wrong oil was used, it was the correct grade (5w30) but the oil did not meet the VW spec of 505 01 - the minimum for the PD Engines, I saw they had used Shell Helix Ultra AG on the invoice and like anyone I googled it once I arrived back home just a mile away from border cars. I found out the Helix AG is approved for General Motors vehicles with no mention of ANY VW specs....... I went back this morning and they have changed the oil for 507 spec Helix Ultra Extra >>> See thread

Thread I posted yesterday evening - http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/253972-dealer-using-wrong-oil/

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

My vrs is booked in next Saturday for its first 10k service. Hoping everything goes smoothly.

I'm sure the lass on the phone quoted me £106. :happy:   Telford's in Carlisle quoted me £140! :wonder:  So I'm happy with the price plus Workington is much closer.

The car was purchased from Border cars and I was very impressed with the sales staff, not pushy what so ever, so I have high hopes for the service department.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just had the citigo in for service, all done thanks, they have ordered a new heatshield which is where the rattling was comming from , will be fitted under warrenty when it arrives...  besides investigating the rattle, I asked them to see if the car was lowered, as I suspect its on eibachs..... this is what the report says....

IMG_1888.jpg

so apparently its slightly lower because its a citigo sport...

hhhmmm, just to let you know (Chris Dixon was the name on the report sheet) our car is a citigo SE, (It actually says SE on your form right there ;) ) its a 2012 car , the sport was not made until early 2013, the white sport has red stripes , not black like ours, and there are numerous other differences.... our car was an original "press" car, which is why it came with all the options, including upgraded stereo , sunroof, stripes, big alloys, citisafe ect ect , and I believe Eibach springs (which is a skoda dealer option on most of their cars, I have them on my vRS) so I will keep believing its lowered on eibachs ;)

However: IF you like ,there are a few things missing on our car that the sport has, if you would like to fit them on our next visit, the seats for example, the leather gear lever (whe have done the leather steering wheel, it didn't come like that on our SE) the rear diffuser, the front splitter, ect ect , to bring our car up to spec (free of course) we would like that :)

Yours, Completley tongue in cheek for your schoolboy error, Sharkrider, and black&white .

;)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Ordered my new Octavia VRS from Craig here in June 15.

Service is friendly (even with my eldest lad of 19months putting his hands on all the motors) and really approachable.

Any issues or problems were addressed immediately and I'd certainly recommend them!!!

I look forward to handover of my new car and going back for another bru!

Cheers Craig and the sales team!

• 3 years later...

Our only local dealer is rumoured to have gone bust today and ceased trading. Nothing confirmed so we will have to wait and see.

Some might think so what? Nearest dealer is 50 miles away on some of britains most dangerous roads and I had a 2 year service package with them. Plus they were dealing with a paint warranty claim to boot lol. 

Didnt see that coming and its a bit of a nightmare not having a skoda dealer as they were the only lot I would use locally after dealing with the rest.

Who knows what I will end up with next.....

On 04/07/2019 at 23:36, john999boy said:

Which dealer is this then?

Sorry guys, its Border Cars (Skoda at lillyhall in workington, but other marques all over the borders)

I didnt want to name them in case it wasnt true but sadly it seems like it is.

This means this is my last skoda unless soneone takes over the franchise.

• 5 months later...

Yes, Border cars are now gone. They had a number of franchises. My brother in law has a Mitsubishi from them. His problem now is that the nearest Mitsubishi franchise is either across the border in Scotland or he'd have to travel down into Lancashire. I think that he'll just swap brands when it's time to change his car.