Now can't open the trunk as a hatch

• 7 months later...

A few weeks ago, I had a tow-bar fitted. After a couple of days, I realised that the hatch function had gone, so I got the fitter back. After a couple of hours checking his wiring, and him finding no faults, I went out to see how things were going, tried the hatch function, and when it worked -to his surprise- sent him on his way.

Two days later it went again. So, caught between a baffled fitter and the certainty that a Skoda garage would blame the tow bar fitter, I searched the forum and found this thread.

THANK YOU!

Doing the mod which Greenliner1 photographed solved it straight away. Clearly, the easy way of detecting this issue is that when the microswitch isn't working, there's no blip of the lights and no audible blip when you lock the car. It may be a botch, but it sure beats repeated trips to the Skoda garage, for them to do just the same thing. I guess that one could remove all the chrome trim plate, remove the microswitch, and refix it with a couple of washers behind it so that it projects further into the opening. Someday, perhaps.

Stuart

Edited by StuartAB

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Thanks to all for contribution to this topic

I had exactly the same problem as Greenliner: the twindoor system did not work PLUS when locking the doors the indicators did not blink.

Following Greenliner1's feedback related to the microswitch I have added some tape to the lock as Greenliner1's garage did and this fixed both issues: twindoor system is working again and the indicators flash when locking the car.

All the best!

Edited by arie_kel

• 5 months later...

Hello All, reading through all the above problems and solutions hopefully it might help me,

just got 2009 version greenline superb 3 weeks ago, boot was working fine up till today, i have no sounds of any of the motors working, no red light blinking, no hazard lights falshing when you lock the car. I got into the boot to open it by the emergency procedure but would not lift as the motor on one side was stuck, I had to undo the screw to release the mechcanism that locks the boot. removed the motor and its closing without the one motor in, but I have to get in to the boot to open it. pain in the you know what. only thing is I got parrot phone kit installed yesterday. did this cause some problem? please help.

picked up a standard skoda detachable hitch, plan to fit it myself, but not the electricts, any advise on same

thanks N.P

It's highly likely that the Parrot + problems is not co-incidenental. With electronics, as with many other things, there's always a cause and effect, so I'd take it back to the fitter or find a local member with VCDS to see what faults are shown.

Ray

Just wish skoda would go back to belts and braces, why do they need to fit electric everything, the boot should be fitted with good old fashioned release catches, with a key to open

• 1 year later...

swmbos 10 plate has started playing up, when you shut the boot or hatch you can hear the motor working but the boot lid raises slightly once closed, also when trying to open it as a hatch it takes several attempts, is there a quick fix

Edited by skippy41

Regarding the micro switches, this is a bodge and I wouldn't be happy to see my car come back with tape, as you will probably be aware micros are found everywhere in anything with a switch, an obvious one is the mouse on your PC, now I've had a few broken ones apart and once the thin tin starts to wear and loose contact it's only a matter of time before the whole thing fails, micro switches are £1.50p each, if you know what you're doing and are handy with a soldering iron you can swap them out quite easily,

For anyone now past 3 yrs and 60k google how to replace micro switches in a mouse and the youtubes will show you how.

Im not sure but is there some sort of re-call on this, I knew about this before I bought mine and when I first looked at it I found a Skoda VAG sticker near the wheel well with "55E9 boot catch mod" and the Dealers name who did it written on it, as I don't have a piece of felt stuck on the catch I took this as they had done some sort of permanent fix, I may be wrong though.

• 5 months later...

I too am having the boot openimg issue but I do get flashes when I lock the boot. U have tried the felt on the latch but no change. Am gonna have to strip it down and try ( with the help of someone else) activate the switch whilst inside the boot and the other person outside to open the hatch.

Will update later.

• 5 months later...

Hello my small boot opens but big boot does not , I went and bought micro switch frm skoda £40 all in had fitted worked str8 away but few goes later back to normal plz help where do I apply tape occasionally it works but when needed it does not do you think it's wiring or not ? As you said nothing shows on computer I am frustrated with my greenline 2010 1.9 plz help before I drive into river with me Init jack

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Petar,

The fault on my boot as described above appears to be the microswitch behind the spring cover in the middle of the rear panel where the boot lock latches into.

If you push the silver cover plate down you can operate the switch manually, its inside on the upper right hand side.

S7000768.jpg

The thick tape is put around the lock so as it is closed it more positivly operates the switch. I'm unaware if anything further was done but I know this was added at the dealership to fix my problem.

S7000767.jpg

I hope the images above come out OK, its all new to me!

Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

Jason

I had exactly the same issue with the boot this morning. Last night it closed & opened properly but this morning...Could somebody please detail where the tape needs to be put? I couldn't seem to get it with the above pictures. Thank you!

• 3 months later...

HI,

Thanks a lot for posing images. My boot would open only with 'boot' button on the key. Same problem as described here. Suddenly started not working and failed every time I've tried. Happened mid winter.

With the help of your posts - overall fixing took around 20mins (including reading this thread).

Regards,

Gedas

Hello,

I have this (or similar) issue for 2 days. The boot opens as expected (with the boot button on the key), but when I push it to close I can hear the first click but then the motor does not pull the boot at it's normal position. As a result the indicator inside the car shows that the boot is not open.

Do you think it's the switch just above the wires (see Greenliner1's first photo).

Thanks a lot.

• 2 months later...

Close the boot then try to give it a nundge or just keep it pressed after soft closing. Then try to lock doors and u will see the blinkers and u can do the same thing for opening as a hatchback.

If this is your solution for opening boot as a hatch and u see blinkers on locking, to get it fix for good, remove plastic panel on the bottom of the boot. Carefully coz is glued to the " chromed " trim. Then use proper key to lower the locking mechanism for a couple of millimetres.

Job done. Give me a ring if u need any help

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys

Can you confirm what to do to activate soft closing without hatch closing?

Close latch on the open hatch and press microswitch on the bottom (greenliner photo) is enough to start soft closing motor? 

Mt issue is that soft closing is not working. Broken microswitch replaced, boot wiring repaired, microswitches inside soft closing motor ok. I have to find out if the problem is on soft closing motor or car driver side. 

• 1 month later...
On 08/07/2011 at 18:00, Greenliner1 said:

Hi Petar,

The fault on my boot as described above appears to be the microswitch behind the spring cover in the middle of the rear panel where the boot lock latches into.

If you push the silver cover plate down you can operate the switch manually, its inside on the upper right hand side.

S7000768.jpg

The thick tape is put around the lock so as it is closed it more positivly operates the switch. I'm unaware if anything further was done but I know this was added at the dealership to fix my problem.

S7000767.jpg

I hope the images above come out OK, its all new to me!

Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

Jason

I dont see where to put the thick tape can someone help please

Yes that’s right, it folds around the right hand side and underneath too. Just needs to contact switch.

there seems to be an ongoing issue with broken wiring too, though I think you’ve checked this out.

good luck

J

• 1 month later...

Lads, it is the wires that run on the left side of the boot that usually give trouble. They break between the boot lid/window hinge area. Remove all the boot trim on the left side, fix the wires, put the trim back and never open the boot in saloon mode again. Only open it in hatchback mode and you'll never again have trouble from it. I did mine 2 years ago and it still works fine.

Yes, but I like this options and always use small boot. I now that probably it will happen again :)

BTW 

I had a compilation of electrical faults that were responsible for not working soft closing :

- broken wires in hinge 

- broken micro switch (this with flap, on the bottom 

- broken one of two micro switches in boot lock (this was the most difficult because second switch was working and I received information about lick position. This was very misleading. ) 

• 2 weeks later...

Do a VDCS test to confirm the circuits and switches. Then remove the left side plastic cover and inspect the wiring. It might look like mine stretched  in with compromised isolation.

Try to repair the damaged wires with good quality ones as the OEM bundle is not an reliable option due to the short length problem generated by the manufacturer.  

WhatsApp Image 2019-01-16 at 21.42.17(2).jpeg

• 1 year later...

Skoda superb hatchback 2015,  opens the boot’s door/lid  after 5 seconds by itself. When I push the latch with screwdriver on the boot’s door the operating mechanism moves to the right and pulling the Tightening arm down, so the boot now locked. Just after 5 seconds that operating mechanism moves back to the left by itself and opens the boot’s door. 

When I close the boot and go sit in the car, it opens by itself so I need to drive with open boot, the boot is not coming up but it’s loose and makes noise while I’m driving. 
Could anybody help. Thanks 

69DA8CE3-D727-440F-A964-F3C3170C6845.png

Edited by Skodaoctoviaestate2008
Added a picture