Ever wondered what was in your 02M 6 speed?

Well, today I have been (helping, mainly spectating....) with a gearbox swap on the mongrel. Involved splitting my old box and the new one, and re-installing the diff, which was "relatively" easy in the end thankfully. Here's some pics.

Old box removed, and donor in the background (FJW box so way longer 4th/5th/6th gears ;))

DSC_0333.jpg

My old box split open and diff/final drive wheel removed.

DSC_0334.jpg

Closer look at the open diff! Ugh! Look how open that diff is! Closed is much better :D

DSC_0335.jpg

My tasks were generally easy... Like brushing up part of the new casing to remove all gunk

DSC_0336.jpg

Lots of 02M gears/shafts etc all removed :D It all went back in eventually. ;)

DSC_0337.jpg

View of offering up the open diff from donor box into my old box. Looked to be a perfect fit and an online database confirmed final drive ratios were identical between the two gearbox codes. :thumbup:

DSC_0338.jpg

Sexy closed diff!

DSC_0339.jpg

Gears from 02M installed into the casing

DSC_0340.jpg

and this is what they look installed the proper way (i.e when my new box was put back together)

DSC_0341.jpg

Whilst the new box was apart, I got my mechanic to do the "shifter fork mod" which basically involves popping out rivets on two forks and replacing with solid bolts after tapping a new thread. I know for sure I will never break these ones. :D

Another day's work tomorrow, and potentially saturday too! THe turbo & manifold needs to go back on as well....

My head always hurts when I try to visualise how a gearbox and diff works :think:

I watched and fiddled today, seeing how the shifter forks move the cogs etc. and I still am not sure! LOL :giggle:

As complicated as a gearbox look's they are relativly simple infact. They pretty much can't be put together wrong as they won't go back together if they are in the wrong order.

Excuse my ignorance, but I have read about the rivet problem. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the next thing to go for me, what with the car having covered 124k miles :-( Will it destroy the gearbox if / when the rivets break?

Excuse my ignorance, but I have read about the rivet problem. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the next thing to go for me, what with the car having covered 124k miles :-( Will it destroy the gearbox if / when the rivets break?

Only a problem if you run crazy power really. A few did fail with standard power but IIRC VAG used different style rivets from about 2003-2004. Easier to source a decent 2nd hand box than strip out and tear down the existing box and drill out the rivets and replace with the high tensile steel bolt kit.

Only a problem if you run crazy power really. A few did fail with standard power but IIRC VAG used different style rivets from about 2003-2004. Easier to source a decent 2nd hand box than strip out and tear down the existing box and drill out the rivets and replace with the high tensile steel bolt kit.

Fair play, thanks :)

I'll eventually end up at about 220bhp I expect, or whatever a MD376 with stock injectors will let me go to with minimal smoke... if I ever get an uprated clutch.