Service recall - 15D7 - Camshaft

Hi all,

Just picked up my vRS LE from servicing, as the engine management light had come on and stayed lit for a couple days. This was diagnosed to be throttle flap sensor and a few other bobs, and was replaced by the garage under warranty.

While it was in, I was told a recall was picked up on the system, and they did it too. Specifically, this is campaign 15D7. According to the little information I can pick up on the web (mainly German forums - thank goodness for GCSE german and google translate), this is to do with a non-return oil valve for the camshaft, which could lead to the camshaft bearing breaking, leading to metal shrapnel into the lubrication system.

Apologies if this is a repost, but a search for 15D7 did not yield anything on this forum, or the web, bar the german forums.

This sounds pretty serious if you ask me, as if a camshaft bearing were to break, it would most certainly lead to very extensive damage throughout the engine!!

The garage replaced this, and assured me my bearings looked fine with no wear, but better safe than sorry.

Details:

Campaign: 15D7

Engines affected: 1.8 and 2.0 TSI (engine codes CDAA and CCZA)

Apparently both Audi and Skoda are issuing this service notice. VW are not following suit as these engine codes haven't made it into their range??

This appears to be a relatively recent service issue.

If you own a vehicle with either these engines, I recommend you check with your local dealer. Your engine code should be on a sticker that is (hopefully) glued on the first page of your "Service Schedule" booklet. Mine shows "VE 147KW CCZA".

Reference websites:

Skodacommunity.de

Octavia-Forum.de

Major thumbs-up to my local dealer - Progress Skoda Letchworth - they consistently provide outstanding service :thumbup:B)

Usually I'd wait to hear about a recall - but this one potentially sounds nasty.

Sure, if things went wrong it would be repaired under warranty, but you'd all the time be worried that some shrapnel was still floating around somewhere.

Just dropped an email off to my dealer to ask about this.

I can confirm it can be very nasty.

My 59 octavia VRS TSI just went in for a recall, and they found the camshaft bearings had completely disintegrated and the metal shards had made it all around the engine and bits were found in the sump. They have just had the go ahead today for a complete engine swap!

So if you get a recall take it in sooner rather than later!!

I haven't got a recall letter from Skoda (yet). Just coincidence I had the car in for the engine light, and they had just received this service notice from Skoda UK, so they performed the recall. As I said, thankfully there did not seem to be any damage to the bearings, but they still changed the parts affected by this recall.

Seems there is little info out there for such a potentially damaging recall, and I would've thought it would be in SUK's best interests to get this info very public as soon as possible, rather than forking out for new replacement engines?

I feel for you Gethin. But at least you're getting a new engine :thumbup: How many miles on yours? I've 23k on mine.

Stoofa, I think this only affects vehicles manufactured between 2008-2010, but would be good to know what your dealer says?

Edited by puma25uk

I haven't got a recall letter from Skoda (yet). Just coincidence I had the car in for the engine light, and they had just received this service notice from Skoda UK, so they performed the recall. As I said, thankfully there did not seem to be any damage to the bearings, but they still changed the parts affected by this recall.

Seems there is little info out there for such a potentially damaging recall, and I would've thought it would be in SUK's best interests to get this info very public as soon as possible, rather than forking out for new replacement engines?

I feel for you Gethin. But at least you're getting a new engine :thumbup: How many miles on yours? I've 23k on mine.

Stoofa, I think this only affects vehicles manufactured between 2008-2010, but would be good to know what your dealer says?

don't think there will be a letter, mine was "done" as a result of being in for something else,in March, very hazey as to what it was "something on the camshaft" and needed it all day, mentioned it on here at the time but no one knew or were very interested,

Mine had done just over 20k, I'm just surprised the engine didn't act up with the bearings disintegrated and pieces of metal floating around in the oil!

What's involved in the work? Do they change the oil?

Remove the top timing cover and unbolt the top bearing part that goes around the VVT unit, inspect for damage and fit a new one if it's ok. We don't change the oil if it all looks ok.

Remove the top timing cover and unbolt the top bearing part that goes around the VVT unit, inspect for damage and fit a new one if it's ok. We don't change the oil if it all looks ok.

cheers ---- now why couldn't my dealer have said that!!!!!!!!!!!

i have just checked my engine code and it matches the above concerned. my car has been making alot of ticking noises when driving and having major issues with my steering.

noise in the steering is terribly when wet and steering goes tight when turning.

funny thing is i had my car in at dealers last week and they never mentioned this. and it was in due to the noise coming from engine and steering.

so is there official links i can send to the dealers about this?

I've just had a look at the codes from my service book:

VE 147KW CCZA

So from the information you have it would appear I may have one of the affected engines.

Will chase my dealer tomorrow.

thanks for the info puma25uk, I just called my dealer who advised yes my car is in on list to be checked, and the earliest is tuesday they can do it. Looks like i wont be driving it that much this week :'(

Edited by amity498

Just had a response from my dealer:

Further to your recent email, i have today checked your vehicle with your chassis Number, on our Skoda Database for any outstanding recalls. There are no oustanding recalls due on your vehicle.

We have as of today had no notification of any new recalls,

If we receive any new recalls then you will be contacted by ourselves

So although my engine type appears to be in "the list", it's not listed for any recalls at the moment.

Hi all,

Just picked up my vRS LE from servicing, as the engine management light had come on and stayed lit for a couple days. This was diagnosed to be throttle flap sensor and a few other bobs, and was replaced by the garage under warranty.

While it was in, I was told a recall was picked up on the system, and they did it too. Specifically, this is campaign 15D7. According to the little information I can pick up on the web (mainly German forums - thank goodness for GCSE german and google translate), this is to do with a non-return oil valve for the camshaft, which could lead to the camshaft bearing breaking, leading to metal shrapnel into the lubrication system.

Apologies if this is a repost, but a search for 15D7 did not yield anything on this forum, or the web, bar the german forums.

This sounds pretty serious if you ask me, as if a camshaft bearing were to break, it would most certainly lead to very extensive damage throughout the engine!!

The garage replaced this, and assured me my bearings looked fine with no wear, but better safe than sorry.

Details:

Campaign: 15D7

Engines affected: 1.8 and 2.0 TSI (engine codes CDAA and CCZA)

Apparently both Audi and Skoda are issuing this service notice. VW are not following suit as these engine codes haven't made it into their range??

This appears to be a relatively recent service issue.

If you own a vehicle with either these engines, I recommend you check with your local dealer. Your engine code should be on a sticker that is (hopefully) glued on the first page of your "Service Schedule" booklet. Mine shows "VE 147KW CCZA".

Reference websites:

Skodacommunity.de

Octavia-Forum.de

Major thumbs-up to my local dealer - Progress Skoda Letchworth - they consistently provide outstanding service :thumbup:B)

Mine had the problem with the inlet flaps / sensors etc repaired under warranty ages ago, mind you I have racked up nearly 60K in mine.

I too have emailed the dealer regarding the recall, lets see if mine is affected, cant say i wouldnt be pleased to need a new engine under warrantly, that means 60K sort of for free! (except for the wear to the rest of the car :thumbdown: )

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone knows when this Campaign started?

I had my car for service on 10th of May and they never told me anything. I have asked them yesterday and they say they will check my car's engine code again and they will inform me.

I also have some noise comming from somewhere like a ticking noise. This noise can be heard after 10 minutes from start up. Sometimes stops after driving for some more time. I have noticed (test it 2 times) that when the oil temperature is 100 degrees it stops. Has this anything to do with the recall?