Yeti TDI 170bhp coolant loss

Mr Enlightened

I've owned a Yeti Elegance TDI 170 bhp since April 2010 and whilst I'm very happy with the car, it does have a recurring issue, namely that it looses coolant. Roughly every 2000 miles the "coolant low" warning comes on and the reservoir will require about 100ml's of water to silence the alarm - I've had it into two dealerships to investigate the problem and both claim to have pressure tested it and have found no obvious fault, and have ventured that some cars do use a bit of coolant early on and it isn't something to be concerned about. However I'm under the impression that the coolant is a sealed system and the level should remain relatively static, so something is definitely amiss if the level keeps dropping. Also I assume that every time I top it up with a little water, I'm diluting the anti-freeze which could have consequences if we have another cold winter. Has anyone suffered a similar problem and found the source of it?

I've got the same car, and have now some 17k+ miles on the clock. Coolant level (I do check it once a month or so) hasn't dropped at all. Have you checked for a small leak? Small stone hitting the radiator or anything like that?

I've got the same car, and have now some 17k+ miles on the clock. Coolant level (I do check it once a month or so) hasn't dropped at all. Have you checked for a small leak? Small stone hitting the radiator or anything like that?

Hi Bobdog - Not sure exactly what the process is when the dealer pressure tests the coolant system, but I'd hope a rad leak would reveal itself, although can't be sure - Just been searching the site by the engine rather than the model and it seems a lot of people in the Octavia vrs suffer the same problem - Trouble for me is that I've got one of those too and it's never lost a drop of coolant! - Much suggestion that it could be a cracked head and seems that Skoda aren't overly willing to properly investigate it - Oh dear!

I also have the 170 for 30,000 miles now and no coolant loss.

200 ml in a year is not that much, but it should be near zero. Is the engine thermostat keeping the coolant temperature at the normal 90°C?? Slightly higher would maybe bring some coolant into the expansion tank, where it may evaporate a little?

It is not really a sealed system. There is a pressure release valve, whiach allows expanding coolant into the expansion tank and the same valve allows the engine to suck coolant from the tank as it cools down. The expansion tank does have a lid on it, but is essentially open with an oveflow pipe, so evaporation of coolant from there can take place. This valve functions like the old filler caps on the radiators. It maintains anoverpressure on the coolant to raise the boiling point of the coolant, so it can operate at around 120°C without boiling over. This is not a usual situation, but try to pull a trailer over the Alps, and ........

Edited by Agerbundsen

I also have the 170 for 30,000 miles now and no coolant loss.

200 ml in a year is not that much, but it should be near zero. Is the engine thermostat keeping the coolant temperature at the normal 90°C?? Slightly higher would maybe bring some coolant into the expansion tank, where it may evaporate a little?

It is not really a sealed system. There is a pressure release valve, whiach allows expanding coolant into the expansion tank and the same valve allows the engine to suck coolant from the tank as it cools down. The expansion tank does have a lid on it, but is essentially open with an oveflow pipe, so evaporation of coolant from there can take place. This valve functions like the old filler caps on the radiators. It maintains anoverpressure on the coolant to raise the boiling point of the coolant, so it can operate at around 120°C without boiling over. This is not a usual situation, but try to pull a trailer over the Alps, and ........

Thanks for the reply - The engine temperature has never gone above the normal setting - The car's now done 18000 miles and I'd estimate it's had more than a litre in water top-ups - Don't know what the coolant capacity is, but fear this is a fairly significant dilution of the anti-freeze effect!

Thanks for the reply - The engine temperature has never gone above the normal setting - The car's now done 18000 miles and I'd estimate it's had more than a litre in water top-ups - Don't know what the coolant capacity is, but fear this is a fairly significant dilution of the anti-freeze effect!

Might not apply to the Yeti butI had this happen on my Roomster. The dealer replaced the water pump and all was well.

Fred

Not sure if it effects the CR engine in the Yeti but I sure some VAG diesels have had issues with coolant loss within the EGR valve, which I understand is difficult to detect. Also another member with a 140 had a loss of coolant due to a duff pump from factory.

For example see this post My link

Anyway hope you can get it sorted.

Regards,

TP

Not sure if it effects the CR engine in the Yeti but I sure some VAG diesels have had issues with coolant loss within the EGR valve, which I understand is difficult to detect. Also another member with a 140 had a loss of coolant due to a duff pump from factory.

Regards,

TP

There is something oddly appropriate about "The Plumber" giving some advice on this topic :D

• 4 weeks later...

Regards,

TP

The plumber did good! Just had the car serviced and they put a dye in the coolant system to identify the leak, and it has indeed shown up as the EGR valve - Getting replaced in a couple of weeks - Will update to confirm if this ends the problem - Thanks again for your input!

• 5 weeks later...

The plumber did good! Just had the car serviced and they put a dye in the coolant system to identify the leak, and it has indeed shown up as the EGR valve - Getting replaced in a couple of weeks - Will update to confirm if this ends the problem - Thanks again for your input!

EGR valve replaced beginning of August - Low coolant message appeared just over two weeks later - It's clearly something else - Could it be the water pump? - Has anyone else been through this? Getting a bit miffed! - Waiting call from dealer to see where we go from here...

EGR valve replaced beginning of August - Low coolant message appeared just over two weeks later - It's clearly something else - Could it be the water pump? - Has anyone else been through this? Getting a bit miffed! - Waiting call from dealer to see where we go from here...

Had a similar problem on my Roomster. Dealer replaced water pump, no further trouble.

Had a similar problem on my Roomster. Dealer replaced water pump, no further trouble.

Thanks for the reply - I guess that's the logical way to go next - I'll update again when it's hopefully all better!

I had mysterious loss of coolant on my previous car, a Golf 2.0TDI 4Motion which started to lose coolant after about 50,000 miles. Eventually found to have a fault in the metal of the cylinder head which was eventually replaced under warranty. Not sure if there could be a generic fault also affecting some Yeti 2.0 TDI engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer had it back into check and advised that this was a normal part of it settling in after fitting of new EGR valve - Said low coolant sensor is ultra sensitive but should be ok from here on in - No further leaks found apparently - Let's hope this is my last post on the matter....

• 4 weeks later...

Dealer had it back into check and advised that this was a normal part of it settling in after fitting of new EGR valve - Said low coolant sensor is ultra sensitive but should be ok from here on in - No further leaks found apparently - Let's hope this is my last post on the matter....

Still leaking alas - Dealer has put more UV dye in and asked for it back for a week when it's done another 1000 miles - Will be dropping it off end of October so they can take it apart - I'm guessing the culprit will be the water pump - Will update in due course...

The 'ultra sensitive' sensor explanation is rubbish - it's a simple level sensor consisting of two wires with a gap in the expansion tank. It's effectively mimicking what you do when inspection the level. Also it's possible to buy the G12/13 coolant online if you want to be sure of the antifreeze quality.

I know your pain, my x-trail had coolant loss issues all the time I owned it, It went back to different dealers and other garages on several occasions and no fault was ever found. I just always ensured I carried at least some water on board, but usually a ready mixed supply of coolant. I always checked it fortnightly, or before or after long trips and had to top it up regularly, but still seemed to spend as much time watching the temperature gauge as the speedo, and only had that red line a couple of times, the most worrying was as i began my ascent up the trollstigen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollstigen) and that really worried me! I remember a Ray Mears survival tip I saw on TV and whacked all the heaters on highest temp and opened all the windows, it got me too the top at least, and I got to admire the views whilst waiting for the radiator to cool!

Unfortunately my issue came out of manufacturers warranty, and could of only claimed on my 3rd party policy if it blew up, so keep pressing and contact SUK or trading standards if the problem persists, and I'm sure it will be fixed soon.

• 1 month later...

Still leaking alas - Dealer has put more UV dye in and asked for it back for a week when it's done another 1000 miles - Will be dropping it off end of October so they can take it apart - I'm guessing the culprit will be the water pump - Will update in due course...

It's a cracked cylinder block apparently - Only tiny but enough to leak fluid on a regular basis - It's a bit worrying that it's done it from new though - Is it just one of those things that a few slip through the manufacturing process with a fault or are they cutting corners with the quality of the metal they use? - Net result is I won't see my Yeti back until nearly the end of November whilst I wait for the part to come in - The dealer has been excellent to be fair, and has been keeping me fully informed and genuinely seems to care - I have a courtesy car for the duration of the repair - However, I reckon if this is the end of the problem I'll have been without my Yeti for a total in excess of six weeks whilst the investigations and repairs have been undertaken, and it is inconvenient going back and forth to the dealer (seven times in total now!) - Has anyone experienced anything like this and is it reasonable to expect the manufacturer to offer some good will or compensation?

Hi Mr Enlightened, sorry to hear of your troubles. About 7 weeks ago I noticed my coolant level was pretty low (2010- CR TDi 110) a mate of mine topped mine up as his old golf was having coolant loss problems, and so has bought an extra large coolant bottle. Touch wood, my Yeti coolant is still stable.

• 10 months later...

Hello, I bought a Skoda Yeti Greenline 4 weeks ago. Today a coolant warning light came on. The coolant has dropped below the lowest indicator. Now waiting for a recovery vehicle. Did you ever solve your coolant leak problem?

Has anyone experienced anything like this and is it reasonable to expect the manufacturer to offer some good will or compensation?

What are you expecting to get?

Looking on the bright side the problem has been found and by having a car to run around in the milage on your Yeti is not going up. :)

My Yeti always found its own level on the minimum mark, I would top up and it would blow it out or drink it so I didn't bother topping up after about 5000 miles, now it has 54000 miles on it and still the coolant level is on the minimum marker.

As for your seven trips to the dealer, I can assure you that I have exceeded that with a Fabia VRs that uses oil, so much oil in fact I now get it for free from the dealer, the issue is in hand and I have made many visits to the dealer and still no resolution, I dropped the car off last weekend and was asked to collect it again on Wednesday when I was told the part needed is on back order. I hadn't thought about compensation as the dealer has always given a courtesy car and one that has fuel in (rare I know)

So rest assured that when your Yeti returns it will have a new block and all under warranty.

My 1.8TSi has recently started leaving a small pool of water underneath overnight, but only following a short run (less than 5 miles) from cold the previous day. Definitely coolant not air con.

My dealer has had the car overnight, done a pressure test, but can't find any sign of a leak, although they agree that there is a coolant loss.

I've taken the undertray off and had a good squint but cant see where the leak is coming from either, all I can tell is that it's somewhere centrally at the front of the engine up above & behind various bits of plumbing.

It doesn't do it after a run of over 10 miles, and the coolant loss is very slow, only dropped by about 10mm in the header tank over a month, but nontheless, it is losing water which clearly it shouldn't do.

In my case it is definitely an external leak that results in signs of water under the car, so hopefully over time the antifreeze will leave a residue that the dealer will be able to trace back to the source. Otherwise, I can't see what else to do!