A FEW NEW MODS

Hi Folks,

the taxi is getting there,

ive just fitted a set of genuine 19" Mercedes AMG wheels like this - http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_2706wt_1139

19 x 8.5 on the front, with 215/35/19 tyres

19 x 9.5 on the rear, with 245/35/19 tyres.

and 57.1 - 66.6 spigot rings.

i think i may fit some 5mm spacers on the fronts as they are very close to the arm but they do clear it..

can post up some pics when i get a chance, thats if anyones interested.

the car looks sweet now, but i have one issue and that is that the car looks abit jacked up! more so on the front. the back isnt bad at all and as ill be carrying passengers i think the ride height at the back can stay as it is.

now my question is are "Quality" lowering springs available just for the front.? if they are can somebody point me in the right direction.

ive been told my a few folk that if im going down the route of sticking woth the OE shocks then i should go for some eibach springs! but i can only find these in full set pack for all corners.

all help appreciated on this as i want to get this done on my week off.

thanksemoticon-0148-yes.gif

Hi Folks,

the taxi is getting there,

ive just fitted a set of genuine 19" Mercedes AMG wheels like this - http://cgi.ebay.co.u...#ht_2706wt_1139

19 x 8.5 on the front, with 215/35/19 tyres

19 x 9.5 on the rear, with 245/35/19 tyres.

and 57.1 - 66.6 spigot rings.

i think i may fit some 5mm spacers on the fronts as they are very close to the arm but they do clear it..

can post up some pics when i get a chance, thats if anyones interested.

the car looks sweet now, but i have one issue and that is that the car looks abit jacked up! more so on the front. the back isnt bad at all and as ill be carrying passengers i think the ride height at the back can stay as it is.

now my question is are "Quality" lowering springs available just for the front.? if they are can somebody point me in the right direction.

ive been told my a few folk that if im going down the route of sticking woth the OE shocks then i should go for some eibach springs! but i can only find these in full set pack for all corners.

all help appreciated on this as i want to get this done on my week off.

thanksemoticon-0148-yes.gif

Nice wheels and will be interesting to see how they look on the Superb, slammed I can imagine they will look good although you now have the 'tractor' height problem as your rolling road radius has changed drastically with it being on the standard suspension............ :doh:

The ET on those is also very low and the Merc wheels all have this problem so some spacers wouldn't be a bad idea but I would suggest you may want more than 5mm, trouble with 5mm is that they won't be hubcentric spacers and this could result in wheel wobble........... :doh:

The Eibach Springs are an option, the only thing I would say is that as it's a large motor it's also quite heavy so with the springs you will suffer from bounce, the other problem is that the height will only be dropped 35mm which may or may not be enough........... :|

Nice wheels and will be interesting to see how they look on the Superb, slammed I can imagine they will look good although you now have the 'tractor' height problem as your rolling road radius has changed drastically with it being on the standard suspension............ :doh:

The ET on those is also very low and the Merc wheels all have this problem so some spacers wouldn't be a bad idea but I would suggest you may want more than 5mm, trouble with 5mm is that they won't be hubcentric spacers and this could result in wheel wobble........... :doh:

The Eibach Springs are an option, the only thing I would say is that as it's a large motor it's also quite heavy so with the springs you will suffer from bounce, the other problem is that the height will only be dropped 35mm which may or may not be enough........... :|

thanks for the info mateemoticon-0148-yes.gif

regarding the 5mm spacers, when fitted you still have the lip protruding past the spacer so the wheel will slot straight over it when ive fitted the spigots to the wheels.

and regarding the height, i think 30/35mm should be enough. remember its a taxi so i cant go too low although i do want to slam it to the deck. and the bouncing is probably something i will have to live with. i should be ok with it as i'll only be cruising/pootling along anyway.

so the only question is, are the Eibach springs available as a front set only? if not what do you think on if i buy a different brand of spring that i can find as a front set.?

thanks for the info mateemoticon-0148-yes.gif

regarding the 5mm spacers, when fitted you still have the lip protruding past the spacer so the wheel will slot straight over it when ive fitted the spigots to the wheels.

and regarding the height, i think 30/35mm should be enough. remember its a taxi so i cant go too low although i do want to slam it to the deck. and the bouncing is probably something i will have to live with. i should be ok with it as i'll only be cruising/pootling along anyway.

so the only question is, are the Eibach springs available as a front set only? if not what do you think on if i buy a different brand of spring that i can find as a front set.?

Have you seen and bought a set of 5mm hubcentric spacers? I was convinced they don't exist to be honest, maybe I am wrong......... :|

As for information on Eibach Springs, you will have to search the internet and contact some retailers, as I am afraid I don't know, maybe try Awesome GTI as this is where I sourced my KW Variant 1 Coilovers from for the Superb........ :thumbup:

Have you seen and bought a set of 5mm hubcentric spacers? I was convinced they don't exist to be honest, maybe I am wrong......... :|

As for information on Eibach Springs, you will have to search the internet and contact some retailers, as I am afraid I don't know, maybe try Awesome GTI as this is where I sourced my KW Variant 1 Coilovers from for the Superb........ :thumbup:

i think youre misunderstanding me on the spacers. i didnt say i had 5mm hubcentrics. im just saying that with std 57.1mm / 5mm spacers there is still a lip that the wheel can slide over, so no need for a hubcentric set. i thought hubcentrics would only be required if the thickness of the spacer goes past the lip on the hub.

raj.:)

i think youre misunderstanding me on the spacers. i didnt say i had 5mm hubcentrics. im just saying that with std 57.1mm / 5mm spacers there is still a lip that the wheel can slide over, so no need for a hubcentric set. i thought hubcentrics would only be required if the thickness of the spacer goes past the lip on the hub.

raj.:)

I am pretty confident I understand what your saying and what you originally said, if you put 5mm spacers on then you will have next to no material to locate the wheel centrally on the hub, not saying that you can't but it's not going to be a lot......... :|

You can source either non-hubcentric or hubcentric spacers, my point was if you go for 10mm+ spacers then hubcentric is the sensible choice to prevent wheel wobble...... :thumbup:

heres some pics of the 19s for those interested emoticon-0100-smile.gif and also a nice spolier i had fitted too. ive still got the new grill to fit yet.

the car looks jacked up i know, but im unsure if i should lower it with it being a taxi. and theres no way i can afford a good set of coilovers so if i do decide to lower the car it will just have to be with lowering springs.

but anyway here you go -

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

Love the rims, but they look so wrong at the moment, the car needs to be really low (as in Baker21's) to carry off such low profile tyres IMO.

Love the rims, but they look so wrong at the moment, the car needs to be really low (as in Baker21's) to carry off such low profile tyres IMO.

i know, i really do want to lower it but ive got to think about if i have a car full of passengers with luggage....

i think im going to have to get a set of lowering spring.

heres some pics of the 19s for those interested :) and also a nice spolier i had fitted too. ive still got the new grill to fit yet.

the car looks jacked up i know, but im unsure if i should lower it with it being a taxi. and theres no way i can afford a good set of coilovers so if i do decide to lower the car it will just have to be with lowering springs.

but anyway here you go -

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

I like the grille but it doesnt seem to have a gap for the the bonnet release that comes through the grille slats on the standard one, how will that work? Did you make it or buy it?

cheers

Tom

You have to be out of your mind, I'm a cabby and I struggle to keep up with 17's let alone 19's.

Mind you if you are young you are talking to the guy at 26 bought a brand new 405 and colour coded it tastfully, so much so I had a chick in who declared the car well pumped up, none of which I would consider doing now, two things I did do which I think I got ripped off with in later car styling was to CC the rear panel, Pug revised the car with a bigger boot opening but where there was once a black panel became a lid in body colour, and the other was I got some 405 mudflap badges and drilled the side mouldings and stuck the badges in, after that just about every car had badges on the front doors, coincidence maybe?

Does need dropping though.

Not my kind of taste i'm afraid. I simply cannot get over the fact, that the rims have a Mercedes logo. Also i dont like the "high" look and the size of the rims. In my opinion the Superb should not be fitted with anything larger than 17". But hey, we're all different and luckily dont have the same taste. :-)

Why, oh why do you want 19" rims and 35 profile tyres on a taxi?

The ride must as hard as nails surely - if it was a show car I could understand it, but as a taxi I just don't get it

Not my kind of taste i'm afraid. I simply cannot get over the fact, that the rims have a Mercedes logo. Also i dont like the "high" look and the size of the rims. In my opinion the Superb should not be fitted with anything larger than 17". But hey, we're all different and luckily dont have the same taste. :-)

Come on now, that's the joy of the VAG group and the Merc group, similar PCD wheels means you can experiment more........ ;)

Why, oh why do you want 19" rims and 35 profile tyres on a taxi?

The ride must as hard as nails surely - if it was a show car I could understand it, but as a taxi I just don't get it

While I think the ride height isn't ideal and yes it is a taxi you would be suprised at how comfortable these can ride on 19's, mine for instance is more comfortable on the 19's than the 18's, bear in mind the Superb's have armchairs for seats........... :rofl:

I miss my Superb, 16 mths has done nothing to dampen my feelings for this car, glad to see you got a 1.9 version, is she a comfort spec?

Look up Mogo plates for plate mounting, the way you have it is fine, but it detracts the overall car like that imo, I assume the Milogrille is going to get fitted real soon?

I'd have spent half that money and got a reasonable 2nd hand set of 18s, and then spent the rest on suspension :)

Looks terrible - sorry, no offence indended. I like the wheel design, and 'get' the use of Merc rims. I just never get why you'd do this stage before sorting your suspension. Even on std wheels lowering it slightly would improve the overall looks.

Why would the springs mke the car bounce if they're the correct springs for the car? Surely the weight of the diesel lump is taken into consideration when the springs are designed? If you bought the Eibach springs for the 1.8t engine, then yes, I could imagine they'd make the car bounce like Zebedee on meth amphetamine because the 1.8t engine is lighter, but the specific springs for the TDI engine should be fine with their increased poundage rate.

Also, I definitely wouldn't just change the fronts – that way madness lies. If they're lowering springs then deffo do all four at the same time.

Why would the springs mke the car bounce if they're the correct springs for the car? Surely the weight of the diesel lump is taken into consideration when the springs are designed? If you bought the Eibach springs for the 1.8t engine, then yes, I could imagine they'd make the car bounce like Zebedee on meth amphetamine because the 1.8t engine is lighter, but the specific springs for the TDI engine should be fine with their increased poundage rate.

Also, I definitely wouldn't just change the fronts – that way madness lies. If they're lowering springs then deffo do all four at the same time.

See you point completely and your right of course in theory, however having been in motor's that just have springs on the original dampers, depending on how new / used those dampers are will effect the ride and in most cases it will be bouncy, compared to a coilover or spring and damper replacement setup which covers all possibilities....... :|

See you point completely and your right of course in theory, however having been in motor's that just have springs on the original dampers, depending on how new / used those dampers are will effect the ride and in most cases it will be bouncy, compared to a coilover or spring and damper replacement setup which covers all possibilities....... :|

I see your point. I was thinking about the springs-only route but may have to revise that. My car's only done 60k though so the shocks should be ok but I suppose the shocks weren't specifically designed for the aftermarket springs so problems could happen.

Hmmm, now which coilovers should I get? :)

I see your point. I was thinking about the springs-only route but may have to revise that. My car's only done 60k though so the shocks should be ok but I suppose the shocks weren't specifically designed for the aftermarket springs so problems could happen.

Hmmm, now which coilovers should I get? :)

If your looking for something price friendly then V-Maxx are a good option, been in many motors running these including a Supeb and thought they were great ;)

Come on now, that's the joy of the VAG group and the Merc group, similar PCD wheels means you can experiment more........ ;)

Couldn't disagree more. :-)