A FEW NEW MODS

Couldn't disagree more. :-)

Well I guess that's what forums are all about, people doing things differently to the next person, just like the OP of this thread, you will find that 'wheel swapping' is pretty common on other forums..........

I'd have spent half that money and got a reasonable 2nd hand set of 18s, and then spent the rest on suspension :)

Looks terrible - sorry, no offence indended. I like the wheel design, and 'get' the use of Merc rims. I just never get why you'd do this stage before sorting your suspension. Even on std wheels lowering it slightly would improve the overall looks.

i personally didnt want to lower it first to then find out that the 19s would scrape. by fitting the rims first i can adjust the suspension to suit.

at the end of the day people can rant on with why the hell have i done this and that to the supurrrb, but hey if we all had the same taste car ownership would be ever so borrring.

at the end of it, i like the look of my taxi although its abit too high,but that'll get sorted in the near future. i may even change the rims as i do actually prefer split rims.

:)

is it possible to change the title of this thread to "New body mods" as its not just about the wheels now lol.

anyway here is the miltec grill fitted.

the next step is to lower the car.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

08.jpg

07.jpg

looks good how does the bonnet open though as there is no gap for the lever?

cheers

Tom

looks good how does the bonnet open though as there is no gap for the lever?

cheers

Tom

the bonnet opens the old skool way now, its all included in the grill kit.

what i have to do now is put my fingers under the bonnet when its popped open and tug the modded lever and wa wa we wa the bonnet opens.emoticon-0148-yes.gif

is it possible to change the title of this thread to "New body mods" as its not just about the wheels now lol.

Go to first post and do Full Edit :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

as ive not been driving the car for a while since fitting the 19" wheels i forgot to mention that since the 19s were fitted i am experiencing the "anti skid function" i dont know the proper name for it, has been kicking in when i simply go around a bend! not even a tight bend at say 40 mph.

could this be happening because i have 215/32/19 tyres on the 8.5" wide front wheels ? they do look abit stretched on. originally they had 245/35/19 on them but that size was catching on the inner side

ive got a set of hubcentric 15mm spacers so im thinking of fitting 235/35/19 on the fronts to cure the skid function from kicking in.

for those that run or have run with 19" rims, can you tell me if you were able to fit 40 profile tyres? this isnt a problem as im happy with the 35 profiles, im just curious is all.

thanks.

Personally if I were you mate, I wouldn't be spending any more money on these mods. Put it towards a better car. I understand you wanting to upgrade a car that plainly needs it, and fair play for that, but dont waste you're hard earned.

Rob

as ive not been driving the car for a while since fitting the 19" wheels i forgot to mention that since the 19s were fitted i am experiencing the "anti skid function" i dont know the proper name for it, has been kicking in when i simply go around a bend! not even a tight bend at say 40 mph.

could this be happening because i have 215/32/19 tyres on the 8.5" wide front wheels ? they do look abit stretched on. originally they had 245/35/19 on them but that size was catching on the inner side

ive got a set of hubcentric 15mm spacers so im thinking of fitting 235/35/19 on the fronts to cure the skid function from kicking in.

for those that run or have run with 19" rims, can you tell me if you were able to fit 40 profile tyres? this isnt a problem as im happy with the 35 profiles, im just curious is all.

thanks.

I too had this problem with the ASR kicking in when going around corners, I think you will find that if you remove the spacers you won't have this problem......... :yes:

As for fitting a 40 profile tyre then this is also not a problem......... :thumbup:

Personally if I were you mate, I wouldn't be spending any more money on these mods. Put it towards a better car. I understand you wanting to upgrade a car that plainly needs it, and fair play for that, but dont waste you're hard earned.

Rob

Is your comment just based on the fact it's a Superb or spending money on these mods on cars in general?

I too had this problem with the ASR kicking in when going around corners, I think you will find that if you remove the spacers you won't have this problem......... :yes:

As for fitting a 40 profile tyre then this is also not a problem......... :thumbup:

baker21, i havent fitted the spacers to the car yet.! the ASR system is kicking in with the just the wheels fitted without the spacers. i was hoping that fitting the spacers would have cured it. not the other way round :(

i will have to see what it drives like with the spacers fitted and go from there

baker21, i havent fitted the spacers to the car yet.! the ASR system is kicking in with the just the wheels fitted without the spacers. i was hoping that fitting the spacers would have cured it. not the other way round :(

i will have to see what it drives like with the spacers fitted and go from there

Interesting, not had that problem without the spacers on........ :doh:

Interesting, not had that problem without the spacers on........ :doh:

hmm, i personally think it may have something to do with the tyres being to narrow for the wide wheels. you can see if you look side on that the rim of the wheel is actually sticking out away from the tyre. i can actually place a pencil on the rim without it falling off. i think this is abit excessive and i will be fitting wider 235 tyres but spacers will be needed if going with wider tyres.

hmm, i personally think it may have something to do with the tyres being to narrow for the wide wheels. you can see if you look side on that the rim of the wheel is actually sticking out away from the tyre. i can actually place a pencil on the rim without it falling off. i think this is abit excessive and i will be fitting wider 235 tyres but spacers will be needed if going with wider tyres.

That's called the stretched tyre look mate, have you not seen any pics of my wheels? I do like stretch and run it on my 19's and 18's, the 18's give me no ASR issues with the stretch so I am not convinced it's that...... :no:

That's called the stretched tyre look mate, have you not seen any pics of my wheels? I do like stretch and run it on my 19's and 18's, the 18's give me no ASR issues with the stretch so I am not convinced it's that...... :no:

so if your not convinced that it can be that, what do you suggest it could be? as i did not have this propblem with the std steelie 16" wheels.

and what profile tyres are you using with the 19" wheels mate.?

so if your not convinced that it can be that, what do you suggest it could be? as i did not have this propblem with the std steelie 16" wheels.

and what profile tyres are you using with the 19" wheels mate.?

215/35/19's on the front on a 8.5J rim....... :thumbup:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use mine as a taxi too mate and the ride on mine with standard 16" steel wheels is not the best, even with new shocks recently added.

I'm from Tamworth and we have more pothole than we do tarmac, I can only imagine how awful the ride would be in mine with those rims.

I can't understand what happened to be honest, the ride in mine when it was new was beautiful and I was sure it would be again after new shocks, sadly not though...

Anyhoo, they are nice rims mate for sure and I can understand why you want to make some improvements to your taxi, I do myself, I for one would be fascinated to hear more about the ride and to see what you end up doing with the suspension.

How long have you used your superb for a taxi ?

Good luck with it anyway mate....

I use mine as a taxi too mate and the ride on mine with standard 16" steel wheels is not the best, even with new shocks recently added.

I'm from Tamworth and we have more pothole than we do tarmac, I can only imagine how awful the ride would be in mine with those rims.

I can't understand what happened to be honest, the ride in mine when it was new was beautiful and I was sure it would be again after new shocks, sadly not though...

Anyhoo, they are nice rims mate for sure and I can understand why you want to make some improvements to your taxi, I do myself, I for one would be fascinated to hear more about the ride and to see what you end up doing with the suspension.

How long have you used your superb for a taxi ?

Good luck with it anyway mate....

Hi mate, to be totally honest, there is not really that much difference in terms of ride quality with bigger rims, but i will say you have more feeling of the road.. which i actually prefer.

i purchased the superb a year ago and since 2007 its been a taxi with no issues.

im thinking about lowering the car in the future but at the moment its not a priority as it rides nice enough to do the job as it is, although it looks like its on stilts.

cheers

raj.

I'm thinking of lowering mine too, although I'll probably be sticking with 17" rims, hopefully some original alloys off the elegance model. Still not really sure exactly what to do with the suspension because as I said, just had new Sachs shocks fitted and I'm still a little dissapointed with the ride.

I found a set of coilovers for the Superb from AP in Germany for £500 maybe that's the way to go, need some more advice though first I think because I'm not exactly sure what effect they'll have on my car....

• 7 months later...

For those interested,

Here are the before and after pics regarding my kw-suspension kit.

its not the lowest, but thats not what i was looking for, i think it suits the car. if i wasnt using this as a taxi i would have gone lower but im happy the way it is.

Note that im now using 235 profile tyres up front, before i was using 215 profile.

01.jpg

1.jpg

02.jpg

2.jpg

04.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1