TTS short shifter

Two sarky answers in a row, way to convince me not to go to my local scrappy instead. :dull:

Not difficult to use the post office postage calculator.

Actually, don't bother, I'll give it a miss.

Edited by blackspaven

Not sarky at all!

Question 1, was what did I have. Answer was look left!

Question 2, what's the postage likely to be (have you not seen the film "Airplane")?

If you'd asked the weight you'd have been able to use the post office calculator yourself!

Simples!

Edited by Wayne Kerr

Any more exclamation points to make it look really friendly?  :dull:

I'm not going to know how big a box you're gonna send it in am I, so no I probably couldn't have used it myself as I don't know ANY of the dimensions required. Congratuweldone, I'll keep an eye on ebay and down my local scrappy instead, thanks for being helpful.

Edited by blackspaven

Fitted mine today.. U definitely don't need long.. It was easy and I have no mechanical skills.. 45 min hardest part was getting the air box off tricky..

Did you just remove the airbox and nothing else as i will be doing this on Sunday? Did yours have the plastic clip or a metal one like in the video?

Does this remove the clunkiness when car is cold?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I doubt it as you are reducing the mechanical advantage by shortening the throw distance.

I'd be inclined to look at the oil in your gearbox first.

I doubt it as you are reducing the mechanical advantage by shortening the throw distance.

I'd be inclined to look at the oil in your gearbox first.

Apparently it's sealed for life?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Apparently it's sealed for life?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

If you count the end of life as being when it dies then yes it is a lifetime fill.  

In reality, the oil is quite easily changed (there is a drain hole & a fill hole at the front of the gear box) and should be done at intervals of about 100,000km (60k miles) give or take 20k km.  Some say do it as early as 50k km (seems somewhat enthusiastic to me for a manual gearbox).

There really is no such thing as a lifetime lubricant.  I believe that VWs definition of "lifetime" is 250,000km but that's when the gearbox is FUBAR.  The amount of wear in the last 50-100k km would be quite high due to oil degradation and the gearbox would be a cow to live with.

In the case of BMW the factory says "lifetime, no change required" for the automatics but if you ask ZF (who make the gearboxes) they say every 50,000km.  I'd think 50k km is about right for an auto.

I did my gearbox oil at about 130k km.  It involved using the drain plug and removing another bolt for complete oil removal.  I refilled through the reverse light switch (which took forever).  Basically, I measured what came out & put the same amount back in.

I changed mine on the Octy at about 80k and noticed a distinct improvement.

Recommended.

Just make sure you get OEM gearbox fluid from a VAG dealer (I got mine from VW as they're closest).

£40 or thereabouts? Depends if it's a independent or dealer of course! And what part of the country you're in, prevailing labour rate etc etc :)

Oil was about £20 to give you an idea of parts cost.

What's the oil got to do with fitting a shortshifter?

Person asked if short shifter would fix clunky cold shift.  I said no - oil change would be proper starting point.  

Forums are like having a conversation in a pub - they tend to drift away from a topic - unless you have Aspergers, then you can stay on the one topic all night :-).

Ecs tuning have both shifters from both 6 speed and 5 speed.. They are both oem audi shifters and the website provides the correct part numbers for both that can be used to order from the steelers.. Apologies it's not ecs tuning but link here for part numbers mq250:

http://www.oemvag.es/en/home/1588-palanca-de-cambios-corta-short-shifter.html?nosto=nosto-page-product1

Mq350 :http://www.oemvag.es/en/home/1126-short-shifter-with-shifter-cable-end.html?nosto=nosto-page-product1

Edited by Smoloney87

Sorry for the dumb question but which one will fit a 2011 FL diesel vrs? I cant seem to find a definitive answer reading through the posts.

Cheers

Kit