Water cooled turbo?

I don't know if the TSI runs a water cooled turbo but it is always good practice to let the engine run at low revs and load for a while before shutting down. I have always slowed down and pottered for the last few minutes before arriving at my destination and then waiting about 20 to 30 secs before shutting off. If I happen to pull into a motorway service station after bombing down the motorway at 70 mph (of course I stay legal officer) I will slow on the approach to the car park and let the car idle for a couple of minutes before shutting down. You can always do other stuff like hide your satnav and pick up your phone etc in this time. It works for me.

Ian

Yes the turbo is water cooled and yes it has an additional pump that keeps running.

I asked in the garage yesterday and was told it was not water cooled? Now I’m confused as I having read a lot was also under the impression it was water-cooled, is there any other way anyone knows of that will give me a 100% answer?

Thanks

I found this page http://www.my-gti.com/1046/differences-between-the-gti-mark-v-and-mark-vi-engine and according to borg warner their turbo has water cooled bearings see http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/products/turbochargerPassengerCarsGasoline.aspx. Not sure about a separate pump though, I suspect the cooling after the engine is turned off is driven by convection.

Edited by TsvRS

Totally off topic but I thought I would share, on a recent technical officer course I attended, one of the trainers asked how you can tell if a car was fitted with Xenons - usual answers were forthcoming, self leveling, charge up period and headlight washers.......then one of the trainees turned around and said that they were water cooled, hence the washer jet! :rofl:

Sorry back on topic, yep IHI, yep water cooled, as previously mentioned. :thumbup: