1.4 TSi or 1.6 MPI

Hi there not a Skoda owner myself although we might consider one to replace our Subaru Impreza when the time comes.

My Father is in the market for one and is test driving a 1.6 Mpi this morning.... My thoughts are that the extra for the 1.4 Tsi would seem worth it , although a little concerned regarding potential for blown turbos or cooling systems. He Plans to keep the car 5 years minimum.

Any thoughts on which is best ( I'm sure its the VRs but outside his budget)

Any help you can offer very much appreciated ... looks a good forum by the way.

over 5 years it is definatly worth it as road tax is about £100 a year, fuel comsumpson is over 20% better, and the refinement is better with more mid range power

why not try the 1.2tsi as it is fine and use less fuel then 1.4

Edited by tony2311

The 1.6 MPI deal is very good value and you get a lot of car for your money. On paper (see figures below) the 1.4 TSI trounces the 1.6 MPI but it is a grand more expensive.

1.6 MPI:

• Power: 102PS
  • Torque: 148Nm
  • VED: Band I (£210)
  • Insurance: 5E
  • 0-60: 12.3s
  • Top Speed: 118mph
  • Combined Fuel Econ: 38.2mpg

1.4 TSI:

• Power: 122PS
  • Torque: 200Nm
  • VED: Band F (£130)
  • Insurance: 8E
  • 0-60: 9.7s
  • Top Speed: 126mph
  • Combined Fuel Econ: 44.8mpg

Is it worth the extra grand? Personally I would say that it is worth it as you are getting a faster, more economical car that is cheaper to tax.

i tend to agree but he plumbed for the 1.6 Mpi in the last 15 minutes ... thanks for your help looks a good friendly forum...

If i can convince the other half into a scout when the time comes i might be back.

:thumbup:

He'll be very happy with it...while not my first choice of engine, the deal was too good to pass, and the car was available quickly, so I too went for it. I know that to get some of the other engines would have required a wait of some time.

Fuel economy isn't a strong point, but on a steady run yesterday I got over 44 mpg (and the car has only done 150 miles!) so I expect that to improve as well.

If overall cost and waits hadn't come into it I would probably have gone for the 1.2 TSI (and of course if money really no object the vRS :yes: )

The 1.4TSI is a far superior engine to the 1.6MPI, and its much more modern as well so more economical. I would say that the 1.2TSI is probably more on par with the 1.6MPI though from a performance side so you might be better looking at the 1.2 as a better option as it is cheaper than the 1.4 but still more economical than the 1.6MPI.

i bought a 1.6mpi on the 25% off deal and i'm very happy with it, that said i would have had a 1.4 tsi if i could have afforded it, but i didn't have the extra grand or so

I know someone who has the TSI 122 engine in a scirocco and raves about it even compared to a 2 litre turbo diesel audi A3 which is the other car in the same household. Very punchy by all accounts.

Definately the better option if funds allow.

Hi all

Well I think he will be over the moon when he gets the mpi but then I would as I've got one.

Yes its not the latest all singing dancing engine and he will pay a bit more on road tax, petrol don't think that will be much different in real day to day motoring.

Best of all its a car you can drive in top gear at thirty and run to shops in, that warms up fast on short runs at a great price.

Best of all its a car you can drive in top gear at thirty and run to shops in, that warms up fast on short runs at a great price.

and if you're not in top gear, it will remind you to change :rofl:

They certainly seem very pleased with their purchase .. they pick it up 1.6 Mpi next week in Anthracite Grey

From my ring around there seem to be a few left at the promotional deal price - came across a 1.4 TSi in elegance for 12k Pre Reg .... thats a lot of bang for your buck.

• 3 years later...