eicher rear discs and pads

I need to change my rear discs and pads. I've heard pagid are a good brand obviously but seen Eurocarparts sell eicher rear discs at £12each. anyone know if this brand is anygood and whether it really matters much what you have on the rear?

I have them on the rear of the Polo. Noticed they seemed a bit quieter and smoother than the previous disks, but they were rusted all over the surface (the braking surface had rubbed off). Seem the stop the car equally well though.

One thing I would notice - the bit of the disk that the wheel nuts go through (the bit that points into the air if you lay the disk flat, if that makes sense?) has rusted, and looks awful! The pagids up front haven't done this though. I guess you could paint that bit though, if it's visible through your wheels/annoys you.

Edited by TriggerFish

I have them on the rear of the Polo. Noticed they seemed a bit quieter and smoother than the previous disks, but they were rusted all over the surface (the braking surface had rubbed off). Seem the stop the car equally well though.

One thing I would notice - the bit of the disk that the wheel nuts go through (the bit that points into the air if you lay the disk flat, if that makes sense?) has rusted, and looks awful! The pagids up front haven't done this though. I guess you could paint that bit though, if it's visible through your wheels/annoys you.

cheers, yes i know the section you mean.Raised edge through the middle for the bolts.There's a 15% offer on at eurocarparts so may as well take advantage this month.

Watch ECP.

They have a nasty habit of selling Chinese crap with German sounding names. I strongly suspect these fall into this category.

I fitted Pagid pads and front disks to my Superb (bought at discount from ECP with delivery). All OK - the Pagid disks are painted and have not rusted.

rotodiesel.

Hi guys

Watch ECP.

They have a nasty habit of selling Chinese crap with German sounding names. I strongly suspect these fall into this category.

I fitted Pagid pads and front disks to my Superb (bought at discount from ECP with delivery). All OK - the Pagid disks are painted and have not rusted.

rotodiesel.

Thats a bit harsh - Eicher is our entry level brand - Standard After market replacement, however for a product such as brake pads/discs - you cant get away with selling £60m of 'Chinese Crap' a year - They still have to meet European approval standards....

However, glad you choose to Go For Pagid They are better quality as they are all OE specifications - and use the 25% forum discount......... No Brainer :rofl:

Edited by EuroCarParts

Where are the "Eicher" components made?

Why do you sell front dampers for the Golf 3/B4 Passat in shiny boxes labeled "Stossdampfer" (which is German for shock absorber) which are obviously Chinese?

Your trading policy is clearly designed to deceive people into thinking they are buying German components when you are selling Chinese ones.

As I have stated, you do sell some good quality parts, but why name your cheap stuff in a manner designed to deceive?

GSF don't do this.

rotodiesel.

Where are the "Eicher" components made?

Why do you sell front dampers for the Golf 3/B4 Passat in shiny boxes labeled "Stossdampfer" (which is German for shock absorber) which are obviously Chinese?

Your trading policy is clearly designed to deceive people into thinking they are buying German components when you are selling Chinese ones.

As I have stated, you do sell some good quality parts, but why name your cheap stuff in a manner designed to deceive?

GSF don't do this.

rotodiesel.

Hi Roto Diesel

As a brief summary:

Eicher pads

Due to the massive volumes we sell - They are sourced direct from the leading Manufactures in the Far East and have built a new brand around this for the past several years. These factories also produce braking parts for other leading brands, meaning we can sell you high quality parts, for the lowest possible price!

Shiney boxes

We will always try and offer a cheaper option and a premium option - This caters for all types of customers (the price concious and the quality/brand concious) - If they are in a shiney box, thats not going to help us sell them, as the customer doest see the box until they are delivered :)

Trading policy

Not sure what you mean by this.

Trying to deceive customers

I guess this is the same as the above, We are very open and base part of our success on offering brand and quality options. All of our own brand products pass the same quality tests as the premium parts to ensure the best quality possible. Now, if you were talking about buying cheap parts, and putting them into a branded (say for example Textar or VW) box, then that would be wrong, and illegal - Euro Car Parts have never done this, unlike other motor factors! :wonder:

If you want to discuss this any further, the BriSkoda forum isn't really the best place, please feel free to email [email protected] with any other queries and somebody will reply asap.

I hope that helps

I appreciate your reply but you're dodging the issues.

Again, in what country are "Eicher" products made?

What is the origin of this brand name? There is no reference to it that I can find other than ECP so I have to assume it's your own "sticky label".

If it's your label - why the pseudo Germanic association? Why are you selling Chinese shock absorbers labelled "Stossdampfer"?

I put it to you that this policy is a deliberate attempt to deceive non-discriminating customers that they are buying German sourced parts which are in fact made in China.

If, as you suggest above "you are very open" then please answer these questions directly and accurately and try not to hide behind "quality tests". Quality testing is meaningless without OE specifications - which are not released to third parties, only OE suppliers.

I have never ever accused you of reboxing Far Eastern parts - if I found this to be the case, it would be a job for Trading Standards.

I have worked for a long time in the motor components industry so - please, no bull****. This Forum is an excellent place to clear this issue - people have a right to choose the origins of the parts they buy. Let's keep this discussion public.

rotodiesel.

If it's your label - why the pseudo Germanic association? Why are you selling Chinese shock absorbers labelled "Stossdampfer"?

:wonder:

Hi guys

We also 'buy' brands - These types of questions i dont know the answer to, hence why i recommend contacting the marketing dept...

The reason i havn't stated a country is we use various manufacturers in the Far east for Eicher, meaning between batches or even between different pads they could be made in China or Taiwan etc... - You seem to be stressing on the point that, because they are made in the Far East, they are crap?

I put it to you that this policy is a deliberate attempt to deceive non-discriminating customers that they are buying German sourced parts which are in fact made in China

Are you aware that 75% of motor parts are made in the Far East?

Why dont you contact the Lucas distributor - Thats a German sounding name, and most parts are made in the Far East.... Bosch.... Delphi.... Hengst..... They all sound German, and are made in China...

Please don't accuse me of bull**** i'm simply explaining the best i can - if you dont like the answer, please contact the correct people....

Hi guys

We also 'buy' brands - These types of questions i dont know the answer to, hence why i recommend contacting the marketing dept...

The reason i havn't stated a country is we use various manufacturers in the Far east for Eicher, meaning between batches or even between different pads they could be made in China or Taiwan etc... - You seem to be stressing on the point that, because they are made in the Far East, they are crap?

Are you aware that 75% of motor parts are made in the Far East?

Why dont you contact the Lucas distributor - Thats a German sounding name, and most parts are made in the Far East.... Bosch.... Delphi.... Hengst..... They all sound German, and are made in China...

Please don't accuse me of bull**** i'm simply explaining the best i can - if you dont like the answer, please contact the correct people....

Well said!

I'll vote with my cheque book thanks.

If batches of brake components cannot be traced to a defined factory, quality control is not possible.

Judging by my experiences with Chinese (the word you don't like) components and the "review" quoted in the link, you obviously put profit before safety.

Time to look at your corporate trading ethics I think.

rotodiesel.

Lucas, "a German sounding name"! - I used to work for them.

Joseph Lucas (aka "Prince of darkness") was a Brit. and the Company was based at Great King Street in Birmingham. RIP.

Not quite the right one but not a bad find :thumbs:

The ECP "Eicher" is just a German sounding hiding place for their Chinese rubbish.

Am I confusing two different brands, ECP Eicher vs Eicher?

I'm fairly sure this EICHER manufactures in India, not in China.

If it's not quite the right, point me in the right, please.

The ECP "Eicher" is just a German sounding hiding place for their Chinese rubbish.

ECP = Euro Chinese parts.

rotodiesel.

I thought we had passed this childish stage :wonder:

Thanks for ruining a informative thread, even after I sent you a PM :dull:

"I must have Branded Names" I keep hearing everyone say. All brands in all types of consumer products are made all over the world to a 'Spec" Not much comes from one source and is what you call the proper brand anymore. For example- a well known brand of boots "Timberland" were branded and made in the US for a number of years and seemed to never wear out, these days the same boots with the same brand are made where ever "Timberland" gets a good contract, By the way the quality is not as good now.

As Eurocarparts man says, you get what you pay for these days and varying quality to boot. I buy most of my parts from ECP and have always asked for OE spec parts from the sales guy and thats what I get, The country it's made in and the box that it comes in don't really matter.

Coming from somebody who works in the automotive parts industry i think ROTODIESELs comments are slightly harsh. All the companys that i deal with at work list there "own brand" parts that often come from china taiwan etc. Drivemaster, national etc They all meet the OE standards set BUT even then they still may not be the best quality products. At the end of the day people know they get what they pay even if they dont have a clue about cars.

I think that folk should wise up, in modern Europe "manufacturing" is a bad word, I know this but I'm still in that sector - so where else will we get the stuff we need manufactured? Most people do not want to spend the money that real parts cost, if made in Europe. High strength bolts - that means India, used to mean Taiwan - but remember where the "good" mountain bike tubing used to come from, yes Taiwan for some. Are all M-B made from German parts in Germany - no, are all BMW made from German parts in Germany - no. The bean counters argue that if the same quality regimes will mean same quality from anywhere in the world (dream on). I would like to buy a new 5 door Polo for my wife, so maybe they are made in Spain (not nice but what I need to accept), or no, I think that they are built in SA - so that might mean that I have reservations about buying one! Maybe a harsh comment, but in lots of fields, German designed and built products are not really up there where a lot of us would like them to be. I like to stick with OEM parts where possible but never get confused with the term "OEM supplier to VAG" - that just means that that company supplies a few items to VAG, for instance TMD companies Pagid and Textar supply brake pads to VAG for use on assembly lines, but I don't think that they supply discs though that does not mean that they can not make good enough discs. Similarly OEM supplier to VAG Robert Bosch does not supply lambda probes to VAG - but they do supply some other bits.

Edited by rum4mo

Is it any worse than Halfr**ds to sell a particular brand that may be cheaper but not as good as oem ?

Pays your money, takes your choice. Having not particularly found the OEM standard discs to be exactly perfect anyway, I'd probably aim for a higher priced item on my next replacement (if that is Pagid perhaps)

If they still sell Pagid, and that is approved then then sounds like one option to me.

Forgetting the "cheap" items for a moment, is Pagid well recommended for replacement then ?

Im not particularly suprised about the amiguity surrounding Eicher or whatever it is, as I looked this up once myself and couldnt come to any distinctive conclusion.

But IM sure they wouldnt sell it if it wasnt safe, as they wouldnt be permitted too. Going back to the old adage, pays yer money takes your choice

Im in no dissillusion of the "perception" of quality even when branded by Germany itself. I used to work for Bosch, no longer, and Im no longer blinkered about the fact they make a lot of stuff elsewhere and doesnt necessarily mean that if it is branded by them, its necessarily much better quality than goods made in the same country and not branded by a German owned company.

But, I do value that even if it is only branded by that company it should be of some kind of recognised quality, and rest assured I am going to want to return it or questino its quality if Im not satisfied.

TO be honest I have always found ECP have always sent me what I ordered

Unlike my experience with another company (J*) who sent me a wrong filter, and claimed it was OEM (I was expecting the VW part) and it was in fact a MANN item, so they aren't that bad at least they send you what you order