Off Road Adventure, Salisbury Plains

CFB

:giggle:

Take the day off on Monday to make up for it

No it will be worth it so I'm ok getting up. The sun comes up early too so why waste it!? B) 10:00 start is fine with me! Unless everyone votes for a 9:30 or earlier. I'll go with the flow.

:giggle:

Take the day off on Monday to make up for it

No it will be worth it so I'm ok getting up. The sun comes up early too so why waste it!? B) 10:00 start is fine with me! Unless everyone votes for a 9:30 or earlier. I'll go with the flow.

How about sunrise then...........emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

Hi Chaps,

Been out of the loop for a while so only just spotted this jolly jaunt. Count me in, I'll be down in Glastonbury that weekend so only an hour away. How long is the drive, is it just the morning then off to the pub, sounds good to me. Will there be scary potholes and steep gradients, old fuzzy might have a panic attack :rofl:

Hi Folks

Sorry, much too far away for me. :'( :doh: The whole point of the Kirton trip (I thought) was that it's 'up North' for us Northerners!

Hetti is the first 4x4 I've owned so I'm not familiar with the BOATS or off road centres around here in Yorkshire but a quick Google throws up a number of possibilities e.g. there's a 4x4 centre at Robin Hood's Bay (just up the road from me) that's just £25 for the day. I think I'll check it out.

Have a great day on Salisbury Plain those that are going, and fly the flag for Yetis!! :clap: I look forward to seeing the pics!

Trev

Hi Folks

Sorry, much too far away for me. :'( :doh: The whole point of the Kirton trip (I thought) was that it's 'up North' for us Northerners!

Indeed. That was why I started it. I still want to do a centre like that up north. And Robin's Hood Bay is lovely. How about we pick a date to go there since Kirton has gone quiet? They have still nor replied to my last three emails. Suggest times in that thread please.

Hi Chaps,

Been out of the loop for a while so only just spotted this jolly jaunt. Count me in, I'll be down in Glastonbury that weekend so only an hour away. How long is the drive, is it just the morning then off to the pub, sounds good to me. Will there be scary potholes and steep gradients, old fuzzy might have a panic attack :rofl:

You're welcome. Look forward to meeting you.

I've not driven on the plains before but James at Allams has.

You can do as much or as little as you fancy,

turn up, have fun and give us a cheery wave when you've had enough.

I have the idea that we'll spend the morning on the plains then hit the pub for a bit of lunch and a social.

The afternoon is open to what we decide on the day.

TJK

I was looking forward to Kirton too.

Even had a BnB booked for the night before.

Tis a shame it all went south, which is why I started this off.

I hope I can make it, even if the offroad driving isn't difficult it is always fun to meet up.

I'm sure that there is something in all the refs I gave that could be "interesting". :giggle:

Certainly the bit from the yellow north north west towards the German Village can be "fun", especially if wet, and there is one early ref that I described as "rutted"

I'm sure that there is something in all the refs I gave that could be "interesting". :giggle:

Certainly the bit from the yellow north north west towards the German Village can be "fun", especially if wet, and there is one early ref that I described as "rutted"

Best not wash the car beforehand then? :giggle:

So looks like there will be a few of us going then?

CFB- Has Graham sent you a route we can follow? Navigation can be tricky at the plains so I hope one of us going is better than me. I've got 4 Cobra walkie-talkies to bring with me, they are very useful for talking between vehicles and to the driver from the outside, if anyone else has got some it may be worth bringing them with you.

Indeed. That was why I started it. I still want to do a centre like that up north. And Robin's Hood Bay is lovely. How about we pick a date to go there since Kirton has gone quiet? They have still nor replied to my last three emails. Suggest times in that thread please.

Hi Johann

I'm really busy for the next 4 weekends but in Sept I intend to try out Robin Hoods Bay 4x4 Centre. I'll report back and get something organised before winter sets in. I'll start a new thread on it.

Have fun on the Plains folks (the last time I was down there was in the late 70s and I was driving an Army Bedford RL on exercise with Sheffield Uni OTC !! Now that was a real off-roader!!!) :giggle:

Trev

CFB- Has Graham sent you a route we can follow? Navigation can be tricky at the plains so I hope one of us going is better than me. I've got 4 Cobra walkie-talkies to bring with me, they are very useful for talking between vehicles and to the driver from the outside, if anyone else has got some it may be worth bringing them with you.

I have got 2 that have a rnge of about 3 kms.

Yes he has, I've forwarded the details to you in a PM so you can have a look.

It seems there are a few short tracks that start at the same location and a couple of longer ones that go from the bustard inn.

Before the day I'm planning to put them all into my garmin so hopefully all we have to do is follow the pink track on the screen!

I'm assuming the Cobras are PMR? If so I should be able to borrow at least a pair of similar.

Now, this will be my first proper bit of off roading (unless you count tractors at 14 years old) so would feel more comfortable if someone with more experience took the lead on the day.

I'll have a look at the tracks and see if I can remember any of them, hopefully we shall have a little bit of rain to make it a bit more difficult, there is a huge section which is totally unmade near the little mock village which is fun.

I'm quite happy to lead the way once I've had a good look through the route and know roughly which direction we're going in.

Would be extremely handy if we could locate enough PMR radios for everyone. Mine reckon they work up to 12km but inside a vehicle to another person in a vehicle they are less than 2km from what I've found.

Could the thread starter add another poll so we can see who is coming on the day? Just so we know we aren't missing anyone on the day.

Oh and if the ground is wet I would seriously suggest limiting it to 4WD only as a bit of wet grass and a long incline will have a 2WD stopped in no time!

Edited by Allams Skoda

oh it all went wrong!!!

was going to edit the poll but ended up deleting it. Muppet!

OK so we'll do it this way instead

up to now there are 8 YES votes.

Attending on 21st August are:

CFB

900000 (Johann)

James at Allams

Paa100

Fuzzybunny

Postman Pat

Rockhopper?