Off Road Adventure, Salisbury Plains

CFB

Thanks guys.

I think perhaps I'll figure something out for October, plus the weather is more likely to be wet and when it rains at the plains you can find some large puddles to submerge your vehicle in!

You should go there when it's been snowing, not only is the terrain very difficult but navigation is almost impossible as it's so easy to stray off the track into some enormous tank track gouge in the ground!

What a bummer!

I suppose there is always that risk where the MoD is involved.

Well .... you could always still go down and play at being a 'target' for the boys (and girls) in DPM. :giggle::thumbup:

Look good on your insurance claim ... got hit by a Milan .... don't you mean in Milan .... no; by a Milan ATGM

Well .... you could always still go down and play at being a 'target' for the boys (and girls) in DPM. :giggle::thumbup:

Look good on your insurance claim ... got hit by a Milan .... don't you mean in Milan .... no; by a Milan ATGM

Post spending review budget tank?

Eek, I know the Yeti is tough but it aint that tough. :rofl:

I'm sure I could do another route around Surrey but Sunday is too short notice to work it all out, plus I think I'm going to have to work this Sunday as my colleague probably isn't going to make it in all weekend.

I'd say we could organise something for the end of September.

Would you rather do the Plains as planned or do another Surrey adventure?

Plains please!

Late september early october would be good.

Whatever you can sort will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Well I bought an old Discovery to mess with so hopefully I if I can't get a Yeti to use I can still host a day albeit from the ridiculously uncomfortable seat of a Discovery TDi. I can only assume that when they designed the seats they simply forgot that the majority of homosapiens tend to have something called thighs, the seat base seems unfeasibly short.

I'll bring a tow rope you that someone can tow me home.... I've never, EVER had any luck with Discoverys before.

I'll bring a tow rope you that someone can tow me home.... I've never, EVER had any luck with Discoverys before.

:giggle: :giggle: Did you buy it from Poundland then? They are dirt cheap for a reason and always languish at the bottom of any reliability table! How old is it?

It wasn't quite poundland but it does feel like it is! It's a 1996 or 97 I actually didn't bother to check, but I think it's on a N reg. It is a facelift so it's marginally more waterproof than the older one and the engine is apparently the better one to have as it's a 300TDi, I presume the 300 bears some relation to the number of miles it is likely to do inbetween major mechanical failures. I've had a few Discoverys before and always been SO unlucky, I think the Autotrader gods hate me.

In fairness for the money it isn't a bad one, amazingly it isn't rotten and had some money thrown at it by the previous owners who also managed to completely disintergrate the clutch. As cheap 4x4s go they are pretty capable although not my first choice, hopefully I'll get rid of all my cars in November and have enough to buy a proper offroad vehicle, either a Nissan Patrol or if I have some good luck, a Landcruiser.

But in the mean time it'll do as something to play with. Expect to see a Discovery on its roof in Shere.

Edited by Allams Skoda

Well I bought an old Discovery to mess with so hopefully I if I can't get a Yeti to use I can still host a day albeit from the ridiculously uncomfortable seat of a Discovery TDi. I can only assume that when they designed the seats they simply forgot that the majority of homosapiens tend to have something called thighs, the seat base seems unfeasibly short.

:giggle::giggle::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It wasn't quite poundland but it does feel like it is! It's a 1996 or 97 I actually didn't bother to check, but I think it's on a N reg.

But in the mean time it'll do as something to play with. Expect to see a Discovery on its roof in Shere.

An N-reg is '96 yes...

But lets hope it stays upright!

So it looks something like this?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

I think perhaps I'll figure something out for October, plus the weather is more likely to be wet and when it rains at the plains you can find some large puddles to submerge your vehicle in!

You should go there when it's been snowing, not only is the terrain very difficult but navigation is almost impossible as it's so easy to stray off the track into some enormous tank track gouge in the ground!

Hi James,

Now that the new registrations have settled down are you in a mood to retry the Plains adventure.

Hopefully this time we wont have to cancel in case we get shot at.

I'm sure the Yeti gang are up for a November jaunt on the soggy wintery plains.

All the best, Fuzzy

I drive over the plains most days....

There are a few of these flying about at the moment

Me too James, but I don't want to meet one of those :(

My winter tyres will be going on soon and with them being steel I'll be much happier doing offroad things. So yes lets set a date sooner than later please. :giggle:

• 3 years later...

There has been one off-road event held in Surrey, and I've run 2 in Mid Wales, but there hasn't been anything for a while now. 

I've got a couple of routes suitable around here and a marked map for the Plain.

Doesn't seem to be much available in Hampshire.

I think I'm still the unofficial RoW "bod" here if you want any advice as I have access to the correct maps in general.

I've got new a route locally that needs a proper drive around first, but with my current health matters I'm having to leave it. Hopefully I should be able to sort something out before the end of the summer.

• Like 2