1.4TSI 1/4 mile leaderboard

vRSy

For another new Briskoda member asking about tuning a Twincharger..

& anyone else really..

Seat 1.4tsi with some go.

These are the guys that tuned mine and that's the car I was referring to when I wrote "running crazy power" on my Stage 1 review thread.

But that video is old. It is now pushing 554 Whp (bhp ~ 600 I guess) and did a dead flat 11s run of the 1/4 mile AFAIK.

• Like 1

To do an 11 second standing quarter in a front wheel drive car would require mucho external assistance ie super duper sticky tyres, track conditions as well as lots of HP.

The nice thing about the bikes is that it can do it on the normal road, normal tyres and for a vehicle that cost sub £7K.

Getting almost 100% weight transfer to the rear wheel ie front wheel dancing like yoyo on a string, helps get the traction (when are we going to get anti-wheely like the MotoGP/WSB/BSB?).

How much have they spent on the car?   Twice, three times it oriignal value?

But a Camero, now less the £30K I hear,  430 hp,  0-60 in 5 seconds, nice sound.

Edited by lol-lol

Just saying bang for buck (or Euro or Pound) and the law of Diminishing Returns.  

To get an engine with a swept volume of 1,422 cc to push out 500 hp is very very expensive in the short and long term.

Amazing what can be done but at some point do you not say let us move to a 300 hp 2 litre TSI and then go for it or actually go 4 wheel drive?

I am reminded of the Top Gear episode in the US where they took the Merc and Ferrari to the strip, incredibly slow as it was cool and damp. 

The point to move to 4 wheel drive is somewhere between 200 hp and 300-ish else you will find your self out-dragged by a Toureg with a diesel engine is my point to bring some sanity to the real world. 

But fast cars & bikes are available anyplace for a few hundred pounds or Euro or a couple of thousand. 

Adverts are full of them.

That does not gain anyone any publicity.

Don't disagree to anything that you say lol-lol but then again that car is not being developed as an everyday car. It is a "case study" of what really the 1.4 TSI is up to as well as a challenge for the tuner I'm sure in terms of ECU tuning, DSG mechanical and software improvement, etc. etc. etc. They do work on all of those areas themselves and what is interesting for an ordinary everyday driver like me is the experience they are getting from it and can safely transfer over to "humble" stage 1/2/3 cars. They have even got to remap the DSG software and offer launch control for the ones interested. Also, there must be a couple of "everyday" cupras they have tuned for customers just a little short of 400 bhp which is immense. I agree that you can't go too high with FWD but as I have just written in my review thread, I can certainly appreciate my remap over my stock performance and I don't think I'm approaching any limits yet. The fact that I can have that without misfires, burnt plugs/coilpacks, limp modes is enough  for me to understand why they are working on the project of the drag racing Cupra. 

The motorbike argument is an old one but to me it sounds as relevant as if one challenged a motorbike with a rocket. I use my bicycle rather often but I never related to motorbikes and probably never will. Going fast in "something" doesn't tell me much. Driving (not just going) fast a car is something which really excites me though and I enjoy it in so many different forms from my own car (when possible) to go-karting and even video game sim racing. I can't get the same satisfaction from any other form of motorsport just because I happen to do 100-200-300 mph. 

My Eunos isn't fast, but i LOVE driving it on the road, so much feel, and so much more fun than the FWD hot hatch :) perfectly balanced.... does 0-60 in about 8 seconds :)

IMG_1819.jpg

Had a MX5 for a year or so a couple of years ago.  Liked having the roof down and it had the power roof which drops or rises in 12 seconds, as long as you stop as you coudl not do it whilst travelling ie not even in first gear ro whatever, had Spitfires many years ago which I liked for the same reasons.   But the engine, even though the 2 litre one, I found very frustrating ie having to rev it between 5 and 7 K it get it moving quickish.  Could be so much better in many ways if it had an engine like the twin charge IMO.  Love the RX8 but that needs a turbo too, maybe drop to one rotor.

I think the Greek tuners did a job on a MX5 as well and tripled its power or so, mental.   At least you can put some weight in the back to help traction where as so much more difficult than the front wheel drive cars.

Edited by lol-lol

Had a MX5 for a year or so a couple of years ago.  Liked having the roof down and it had the power roof which drops or rises in 12 seconds, as long as you stop as you coudl not do it whilst travelling ie not even in first gear ro whatever, had Spitfires many years ago which I liked for the same reasons.   But the engine, even though the 2 litre one, I found very frustrating ie having to rev it between 5 and 7 K it get it moving quickish.  Could be so much better in many ways if it had an engine like the twin charge IMO.  Love the RX8 but that needs a turbo too, maybe drop to one rotor.

I think the Greek tuners did a job on a MX5 as well and tripled its power or so, mental.   At least you can put some weight in the back to help traction where as so much more difficult than the front wheel drive cars.

well the engine (this 1.6 NA engine) was designed originally to be forced induction, it even has the oil feeds (blanked off) for the turbo ect already installed, a supercharger is circa 160-190bhp (115 standard!) and a turbo 200-220 bhp!

I'm doing a rolling restoration to standard spec though for future value (very few original cars left!)..

I agree there is not much low in the revs, but I LOVE driving it quick between 5-7k... mostly because it POPS from the exhaust on change up, and if you get it hot enough,it even pops on change down! :o lol..... and the sound is awesome.... the fuelling and exhaust would be SO illegal nowadays!

it isn't fast, BUT it feels it...... I cant drive my vRS fast on the road, its too quick, thats why I do all the track days....... the eunos is more fun on the public roads, because you CAN push it ;)

• Like 2

well the engine (this 1.6 NA engine) was designed originally to be forced induction, it even has the oil feeds (blanked off) for the turbo ect already installed, a supercharger is circa 160-190bhp (115 standard!) and a turbo 200-220 bhp!

I'm doing a rolling restoration to standard spec though for future value (very few original cars left!)..

I agree there is not much low in the revs, but I LOVE driving it quick between 5-7k... mostly because it POPS from the exhaust on change up, and if you get it hot enough,it even pops on change down! :o lol..... and the sound is awesome.... the fuelling and exhaust would be SO illegal nowadays!

it isn't fast, BUT it feels it...... I cant drive my vRS fast on the road, its too quick, thats why I do all the track days....... the eunos is more fun on the public roads, because you CAN push it ;)

Always lent towards a MR2 rather than the MX5.

Grey import of course with the turbo ie 220-245 hp, love the looks, respectable 0-60 ie about 6 seconds.

Love my Fabia 2 VRS but with more money I would probably go rear wheel or 4 wheel drive as it just is easier to get the power down in our cooler, wetter climate.

Edited by lol-lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Did two runs today, quarter mile: 14,27 sec

Speed @ 1 mile: 217 km/h, maxed out fifth gear.

Quite happy with the time :)

Cannot seem to upload the result sheet with my mobile.

• Like 1

Did two runs today, quarter mile: 14,27 sec

Speed @ 1 mile: 217 km/h, maxed out fifth gear.

Quite happy with the time :)

Cannot seem to upload the result sheet with my mobile.

Very impressive! Any mods?

And here is the result sheet. Fastest time of the day was a 997 Turbo, 10,58 sec. Pretty fast!

It's amazing how the Fabia can leave cars with 100hp more behind, but if looking at the max speed at one mile, all of them would have flown past in higher speeds.

It was an event where you could go for 1/4 mile and/or top speed so comparisons are not 100% fair, but good indication still. Wouldn't expect people to hold back.

With a bit of practice and not spinning out on launch, could probably shave some time off, but not really that important :)

mile_speed_zpseyymsphq.jpg

Edited by Laars
  • Like 1

Good time for a car costing less than 20k Euros.

Top speed is an issue for the Fabia VRS, they seem to virtually stop accelerating much after 210 kph, it is just the shape.  The TSI Octy 2 VRS is still accelating strongly at 230 kph due to its shape.

A quarter mile is 402.335 metres.

Any bikes there that day? 

I keep reading this from you about the vRS and the lack of top speed or acceleration over 130 mph. Not that it really matters in the UK.

Was this just with your car or have you driven others,

because IME they do exceed 140 mph and can pick up quite happily above 130.

Yes, lots of bikes, fastest 9,71sec and fastest top speed 349 km/h and fastest car btw Toyota Supra 313 km/h.

And it was measured at sharp 1/4 mile, I actually checked. :)

Isn't the top speed specced to 224 kmh? If so, there isn't too much to accelerate to past 210 ;)

The shape can't be all that bad, have a look at this Volvo 204, which did 303 km/h 

11377234_779130978852317_434558346234194

Theres some aerodynamics for you!

Edited by Laars
  • Like 1

Is the official 0-100 km not 7.3 on the Skoda Hatch & Estate and supposedly quicker on the Heavier Sister cars on their tyres,

while Owners regularly get under 6.5 second 0-100km

This guy is making a meal of it, but then he is in 'S' going for Maxing out.

Low mileage car and no idea what Octane fuel is used.

I find 'D' does the job well enough.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I keep reading this from you about the vRS and the lack of top speed or acceleration over 130 mph. Not that it really matters in the UK.

Was this just with your car or have you driven others,

because IME they do exceed 140 mph and can pick up quite happily above 130.

Only the experience of mine that over 130 it seems to be just adding at about 1 mph/per second increasing.

It could well be me or my car or a combination of both. Tend to be in Drive rather than Sports mode.

I am aware that, measured at the wheels, the power is actually peaking at around 5500 revs rather than 6200 which the brochure quotes.

Of course no condition is ever neutral, you either have a head or tail wind of some magnitude, you have a little bit of a slope up or down.

The Fabia VRS just seem to be getting close to its max ie with 10 mph where, at this insane speeds, the Octy 2 TSI VRS just felt like it had loads left, which of course it does with a quote real top speed of 151 and therefore one expects it would have quite a bit of pull left at 130 and, as well know, an Octy 2 shape can hit 140 mph with 160 hp (1.8 TSI) the wiesel VRS also hits this speed with 170 hp, and the Octy 2 TSI VRS achieves 150 mph with 200 hp (power versus speed being a cube relationship. As EVO knows with 600 hp the Octy 2 can hit 228 mph).

The Fabia 2 VRS holds many of the UK speed distance records for car under 1500 cc and was averaging around 130 mph, 50 km, 100 km so it is no slouch (and the estate is better I will mention before you do) but it is no aero-wonder. Short ie 4m long homologated rally mock-up not a GT car of course.

Have loved driving the car and will be sad to see it go and sort of glad it usually cleanly out accelerates 2 litre diesels but is quick enough to get the judge thinking prison term. Dacia is much more likely to help me keep my licence whilst saving me a fortune in fuel and being more practical if not as much fun.

Found the Fabia a little difficult to get off the line and never really could go the full hold the brake, floor the accelerator and then let it go as it just seems to mechanically cruel and if I want SS then I just go out on the £4K bike which does it in about 12s terminally at around 110 mph/175 kph.