Towing weights.

Llanigraham

yes, the maximum of the passat was 1400 kg, the maximum of the caravan was 1497 kg, a difference of 97 kg, so applying common sense meant I ran the caravan at 1400 kg.

But if you want to be pedantic, would the 85% rule be variable? If the car is full of fuel when you set off you will be at 85%, as you burn off 60 litres you will then be over 85% as the car will be lighter would it not?

Caravanned for 12 years, from the south of France to tip of Scotland, never once had an incident or any issues with the snaking etc. It does help having a weigh bridge at the yard.

http://www.tourerinf...uide_080805.pdf

A very interesting read and informative.

I'm well aware of the guidelines for towing being a C.C member for 17 years however your present car / caravan combination would be seen as a poor match by both the C.C and the C&CC as your towing at close to a 100% match and although legal as its within the Yeti's towing capacity still not a good combination .

I tow a similar weight van at 1.5 tons MPTLM and dismissed the Yeti as far to light opting for a heavier tow car at 1710kg kerbweight

So after 17 years of towing I would say you are an experienced towing person. Page ten from my link. Where is the problem?

The caravan industry recommends:

For a novice caravanner, ideally, this ratio should not exceed 85%.

For an experienced caravanner the maximum recommended ratio is 100%, provided the figure is permissible

in respect of the tow car’s published capability.

Published capacity is 2000 kg

So after 17 years of towing I would say you are an experienced towing person. Page ten from my link. Where is the problem?

The caravan industry recommends:

For a novice caravanner, ideally, this ratio should not exceed 85%.

For an experienced caravanner the maximum recommended ratio is 100%, provided the figure is permissible

in respect of the tow car’s published capability.

Published capacity is 2000 kg

My view is that when towing at 100% match should you experience any serious instability which could happen to the most careful of drivers even when your caravan is evenly loaded the chances of recovering from such an incident will be less than if your towcar has a weight advantage of 15-20% over the loaded caravan.

Regardless of how experienced you may think you are at towing this can happen and there's no substitute for having a heavier towing vehicle

The Passat and the Yeti have a 94% ratio, surprisingly both cars are 1535 kg, down side to the Passat was the 100 HP. If it wash't a stable set up I wouldn't have towed.

I know why and what the 85% rule is for but personally think it has had its day. The manufacturers data is in black and white so go with it.

For what's worth having towed a caravan for over 17 years too, I'm reluctant to go over 85%. I know this limits my car /caravan choice. I've seen many other outfits overtake me when travelling at the speed limit which on the surface look a poor match, but that's their choice.

I have also found the Yeti more stable to tow than either a Passat or a Bora because of the short overhang.

Bob

Edited by bettysman

• 5 months later...

Guide lines are guideline laws are law if you follow the guidelines and stick to the law you will be fine. It is odd that caravans suddenly become more stable at motoway speeds in europe, anyone who tows at 80mph on a french motorway wants their head seen too! but it's the law! (subject to 3500kg gross train weight) Madness !

I tow a lunar with uprated plate 1400kg with my yeti no problem at all but would never tow at those sort of speeds. Also another guide if unsure load the car not the van. or get it weighed mine was done for £13 the van as used awning gas bottle etc came out at 1332 so my van is about 86% of car (kerbweight-driver-fuel) but with 2nd passenger and luggage it's nearer 80%

• 3 months later...

with this in mind

"But what do the figures on the plate mean for the kerb weight?
Mine says
2075 KERB WEIGHT IN RUNNING ORDER
4075 MAXIMUM TOTAL TRAIN WEIGHT (SO TOTAL COMBINED WEIGHT ALLOWED FOR CAR AND TRAILER)
1. 1090 FRONT AXLE WEIGHT LIMIT
2. 1030 REAR AXLE WEIGHT LIMIT"

(sorry, can get it to quote this morning)

also to be considered is your driving license! see here for full details but depending on when you passed your test. So if you passed after 1997 and have a Yeti at Maximum Authorised Mass + a trailer at Maximum Authorised Mass you wont be exceeding the Gross Train Weight as per B post plate, but will be exceeding what your driving lince permits you to carry!

and if you passed after 19 January 2013, it takes away saying that the trailer must not exceed the kerbside weight!

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/driving-licence-rules-and-what-you-can-tow

(and sorry for the bold type but it wont let me cancel it this morning - its been a long night)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

85% is not a rule, its a guide for novice towers, also the licence limitations

Licences issued from 1 January 1997
If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:
drive a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.
You have to pass the car and trailer driving test if you want to tow anything heavier.
Licences issued before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM. View your driving licence information to check.