Flexible or Fixed Service Intervals?

glamorgan

I'm off to Germany in the Yeti next month and thought I should carry a small can of oil to top up if necessary - its a 1.2 TSI DSG version.

At a local Skoda dealer (not where I bought the car from) they asked if I was on Fixed or Flexible. I remember the sales man mentioning servicing when I collected the car but didn't take in what he said.

I asked how I could find out and was told that if I went into the Maxidot display - Vehicle Status - if I had a distance and time showing this would prove I was on Flexible Service - if the Maxidot didn't give any figure, then I would be on Fixed. As it happened, I had 3000 miles and 61 days to the next service so I was sold oil for a Flexible service. Can anyone confirm this is the way to identify the service periods please?

Thanks, David

I'm off to Germany in the Yeti next month and thought I should carry a small can of oil to top up if necessary - its a 1.2 TSI DSG version.

At a local Skoda dealer (not where I bought the car from) they asked if I was on Fixed or Flexible. I remember the sales man mentioning servicing when I collected the car but didn't take in what he said.

I asked how I could find out and was told that if I went into the Maxidot display - Vehicle Status - if I had a distance and time showing this would prove I was on Flexible Service - if the Maxidot didn't give any figure, then I would be on Fixed. As it happened, I had 3000 miles and 61 days to the next service so I was sold oil for a Flexible service. Can anyone confirm this is the way to identify the service periods please?

Thanks, David

Flexible service does show the mileage and days left to next service, but with only 3,000 miles left, and seeing that you are travelling to Germany, would you not be considering a service before you head off.

Hi,

your Yeti being a UK spec more then likely left the factory on long-life service, indicated by the code QG1 on the data sticker in the front of the service book and on the boot floor.

However some dealers change the settings on the car to time and distance, one year or 15,000km (approx 9500 miles) as it generates more service revenue for them; some customers will be unaware of the different service regimes.

If you are on long life I would expect that if you have 3000 miles to go to service, you've probably got 12,000 miles + on your odometer already.

Fixed service then the oil should meet VW502.00

Long-life then VW504.00 as indicated on the side of the bottle.

Hope that helps,

TP

Hi,

your Yeti being a UK spec more then likely left the factory on long-life service, indicated by the code QG1 on the data sticker in the front of the service book and on the boot floor.

However some dealers change the settings on the car to time and distance, one year or 15,000km (approx 9500 miles) as it generates more service revenue for them; some customers will be unaware of the different service regimes.

If you are on long life I would expect that if you have 3000 miles to go to service, you've probably got 12,000 miles + on your odometer already.

Hope that helps,

Hi TP,

My mileage at the moment is 6,200 and the service booklet indicates next service at 10,000 miles or Oct 2011 whichever is the sooner. There is no QG1 on the inside of the service booklet. The main stamp on the vehicle data page shows :- MLJ 1M1M and EF 77KW CBZB plus 5L73DD YETI. I'm taking her in to the garage for the leaking sun roof on Tuesday, so I'd better ask then to me on the safe side. Thanks, David

]

I am on fixed service (12 months, 10000 miles) and mine shows miles left and days left to service.

Thanks for this info - the theory of only Flexible showing in the Maxidot computer goes out the window then!

Notice you have a "mesh" grill - can you tell me where I could get one?

Thanks again, David

Thanks for this info - the theory of only Flexible showing in the Maxidot computer goes out the window then!

Notice you have a "mesh" grill - can you tell me where I could get one?

Thanks again, David

Hi there,

I actually just bought some mesh to fit to the lower grill of the car. Mine is external to the existing plastic trim as I could not remove the trim, but Bahnstormer vRS fitted a mesh inside the grill, which looks great.

You can see photoes on the SMOC Flickr page.

Personally, I like it, but I would also happily left it as stock. The reason it was fitted was because I notice the radiator/air con matrix suffers quite badly from stone chip.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/206288-protecting-the-radiator-from-stones-with-metal-mesh/page__p__2440200__hl__mesh__fromsearch__1#entry2440200

In Europe, you can get a air con matrix protector which does the same job with no effect on the appearance on the car.

Flexible service does show the mileage and days left to next service, but with only 3,000 miles left, and seeing that you are travelling to Germany, would you not be considering a service before you head off.

Correction if I may.

If you are on 'flexible service' then, after an initial c. 500 mile learning period, the Vehicle Status display shows around 18,600 miles/730 days to next service and counts down from there.

I have covered 8300 miles and happened to check mine this morning; it showed 10,300 to go; 18,600 total. This is from new in January this year.

This figure of 18,600 is the 'variable' element as it is governed by journey type, vehicle usage, oil quality etc. It can be as low as 12,000 miles IIRC.

Hi,

Hope that helps,

TP

Just to qualify (if I may) for the benefit of thread readers, that you have quoted VW502 and VW504 spec oil for the benefit of the OP as his is the (petrol) 1.2tsi engine.

For us 'diesel heads' VW507 is the requirement for 'variable servicing' regime (can't remember the required oil for 'fixed').

Please correct me if my memory is failing me. ;)

Volkswagen introduced it’s own specifications for engine oil in the mid 1990′s and these cover Volkswagen, Skoda, Audi and Seat made cars.

There are two new VW standards for oils, 504.00 for petrol powered engines and 507.00 for diesel powered engines. Introduced in late 2005, whilst these are seperate standards every oil made to date has meet the requirements of both standards. Hence why VW refer to the standards as 504.00/507.00.

All VW petrol and diesel engines with the exception of the Touareg R5 and V10 diesels with pump nozzles can use these new oils.

List of the most common VW standards

VW 500.00 – VW spec for multigrade engine oils for petrol engines with SAE 5W-X/10W-X viscosity for engines built up until August 1999 (MY 2000).

VW 500.00 + 505.00 – Oil meets both VW 500.00 and 505.00 spec.

VW 501.01 – VW spec for petrol engines for engines built up until August 1999 (MY 2000).

VW 501.14 – Brake fluid with low viscosity, VW 2006>.

VW 502.00 – VW spec, oil for petrol engines. Successor of VW 501.01 & 500.00 spec.

VW 503.00 – Long-life petrol engine oil for VW cars with WIV. Meets ACEA A1, SAE 0W-30 or 5W-30. Suitable for the AUDI S4, engines with an output greater than 180bhp should use 503.01 or 504.00/507.00.

VW 503.01 – Special engine oil for some VW petrol engines. SAE 5W-30. Suitable for the Ausi RS4, TT, S3 and A8 6.0 V12.

VW 504.00 – Long-life petrol engines with WIV.

VW 505.00 – Passanger car diesel engine oil, minimum performance level CCMC PD-2. Lists viscosities:- SAE 5W-50, 10W-50/60, 15W-40/50, 20W-40/50 requiring 13% max evaporation loss and SAE 5W-30/40, 10W-30/40 requiring 15% max evaporation loss.

VW 505.01 – Special engine oil for VW turbodiesel with pump-injector-unit and for the V8 commonrail turbodiesel engines. Meets ACEA B4 SAE 5W-40 spec.

VW 506.00 – Special long-life engine oil for turbodiesel engines with WIV, viscosity is SAE 0W-30.

VW 506.01 – Special long-life oil for turbodiesel engines with pump-injector-unit with WIV.

VW 507.00 – Long-life diesel engine oil with WIV.

VW 508.00 – Fuel economy low saps oil in development.

WIV is extended drain periods up to 30,000km or 24 months.

I think WIV is Variable Servicing. :)

Edited by looby

Hi looby,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply, you sue know your oils!

My Service Booklet recommends 502 for Fixed Service Intervals and 504 for Flexible. If I find that I am on Fixed, would it cause the engine any damage do you know, if I top up with 504?

Thanks.

Hi looby,

My Service Booklet recommends 502 for Fixed Service Intervals and 504 for Flexible. If I find that I am on Fixed, would it cause the engine any damage do you know, if I top up with 504?

Thanks.

Hi,

as you have only done 6200 miles you are on fixed service as that adds up to the 9500 aprox. Oh and there's no harm in using either 502 or 504 if your on the fixed regime.

The QG1 code is on a square sticker with several other similar codes at the very front of the service book with a duplicate sticker on the boot floor. If you cannot find QG1 look for QG2 or QG0 as there the other codes for fixed service.

should be in the options box.

Regards,

TP

Just to qualify (if I may) for the benefit of thread readers, that you have quoted VW502 and VW504 spec oil for the benefit of the OP as his is the (petrol) 1.2tsi engine.

For us 'diesel heads' VW507 is the requirement for 'variable servicing' regime (can't remember the required oil for 'fixed').

Please correct me if my memory is failing me. ;)

No problem; CR diesels need 507 spec no matter whether there on variable or fixed. Only the petrol that has two options.

Regards,

TP

Hi looby,

Thanks.

Topping up with VW504/VW507 is fine on either service regime.

However if you are on 'variable' then VW504/VW507 is recommended and using VW502/VW505 is ok in small quantities in an emergency.

Moral of the story is to buy a 1L bottle of VW504/VW507 and you will not go wrong.

The Skoda website manual: Skoda motoroil how to

states:

The engine of your vehicle has been factory-filled with a high-grade oil which you can use throughout the year - except in extreme climatic regions.

You can mix various oils together with each other when refilling with oil. This does not, however, apply for models with flexible service intervals (QG1).

Engine oils are, of course, undergoing continuous further development. Thus the information stated in this Owner's Manual is only correct at the time of publication.

Škoda Service Partners are informed by Škoda Auto a.s. about current changes. This why you should always have engine oil changed by your Škoda Service Partner.

The specifications (VW standards) stated in the following must be indicated separately or together with other specifications on the bottle.

And goes on to describe the different service options, have a look !

cheers

otto

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late to jump in the conversation but I would ALWAYS suggest that you carry out your first service of any new vehicle at the 10,000 miles or 12 months point rather than the variable servicing. I think it is best to change the oil used to run in the engine sooner rather than later.

A bit late to jump in the conversation but I would ALWAYS suggest that you carry out your first service of any new vehicle at the 10,000 miles or 12 months point rather than the variable servicing. I think it is best to change the oil used to run in the engine sooner rather than later.

I'm likely to do this imminently and have an 'interim' oil change @ 9,500 miles whilst keeping Kevin set to a 'variable regime'. I'll get to the 18,600 mile point and be due for a 1st variable service in June 2012 (at 18 months old).

Having costed up the elements of a service (with some parts prices and a bit of discount) I have come up with;-

Oil 5L of VW507 (Shell/Castrol/Millers) - £45.00 (online @ Opie oils ex P&P)

Oil filter - £8.49

Sump plug - £1.12

Labour 30mins @ £100/hr (main dealer rate) - £50.00

Total - £104.61

+ 20% VAT = £125.53

I've rung my dealer who has said that an 'oil change' only is usually £130 inc VAT; but "to you Sir as a valued and long term (4 years+) customer" £99 inc VAT.

Seems quite fair and will likely book Kevin in for this on a Saturday morning while-U-wait. :thumbup:

. . . However some dealers change the settings on the car to time and distance, one year or 15,000km (approx 9500 miles) as it generates more service revenue for them; some customers will be unaware of the different service regimes. . .

I have just had exactly this happen. We purchased our Yeti privately 2nd hand. Looking at the service history it had its 1st service at 18k miles and the display has told us it needs doing again at 37k miles. All well and good. Had it serviced today and the display says next service due in 9.5k miles - cheeky bu**ers.

Ian

I have just had exactly this happen. We purchased our Yeti privately 2nd hand. Looking at the service history it had its 1st service at 18k miles and the display has told us it needs doing again at 37k miles. All well and good. Had it serviced today and the display says next service due in 9.5k miles - cheeky bu**ers.

Ian

That's sneaky!

Simple solution; take it back and them to change it to variable (presuming this is what you want and suits your driving pattern).

• 2 years later...

Hi friends,

sorry to revamp this (very?) old thread. 

My 1.2tsi yeti (with maxidot) asks for servicing in 17 days or 13.600 KM.

The odd is that the car (that sholud be on variable intervals) is 15 months old. 

Is that normal? Shall I change engine oil (seems to soon, only 8 K Km carried). 

Any help?

Hi,

I remember something like km/days or whatever comes first, so you need to check this with your dealer.

In the context of last message, my car is on flexible interval and always 30000km = km in odometer + km left on maxidot.

Is this valid for formula for you all? What is cause to get less days left as emix2001?

Cheers

George

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Hope that helps,

TP

To revive/add to this thread.

Yep, that's just happened to me!

I was pretty sure mine was on Flexible servicing (which I've confirmed by the Q16 on the label - different to earlier codes) so was a little surprised when my wife said the dealer had been on the phone about the first year's service. And a few days later I had an e-mail.

As per another posting I was probably going to change to Fixed but hadn't completely decided because the Yeti does get regular use and some good runs during the week. I do about 8k. a year at present.

I've changed from Flexible to Fixed on the last few cars because I thought I might keep them for longer but didn't in the end.

As I think that 2 years is too long (whatever I do with the Yeti) for the first oil and filter change I've booked it in for next week.