DIY Fabia I Brake Light Switch Replacement

GrahamVRS

• 8 months later...

Ta, mate. Great guide.

Just one thing, when you remove the panel between the wheel and the EIC, there are two torx screws. I dunno if you forgot one or the RHD Fabia has one while the LHD has two, but i pretty near broke the panel while removing it when i missed the screw. And it doesn't come off with it. I can guarantee that.

• 2 months later...

Have just managed to change my brake light switch in 19mins thanks to this excellent post, and all for a grand total of £8. Many thanks GrahamVRS, you've saved me a lot of time any money here!!!

• 4 weeks later...

If you are fitting the type of brake light switch with the narrow end do NOT push down the pedal when fitting. Leave the pedal where it is, this will set the internal ratchet mechanism properly.

The later better switches as here..

http://www.fabia-vrs.com/technical-info/brake-pedal-switch-failures/

You can fit either way, no internal ratchet mech to worry about. Also the switch isnt set until it has clicked fully round, then the lights will work.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I paid someone to fit mine last week as it was snowing and I dont have a garage/dry place to do it. plus fecking cold! its again stopped working. ..annoyingly. do you think the parts busted? or other?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello guys, is this guide only for Fabia or also for Octavia mk1 ? I have quite a similar problem, first came the glow plugs flashing... and then i have tried to change the brake bulbs,,, and now the right one bulb even though is new does not light and the glow plug is not flashing anymore :(... But not no brake light on the right side ! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Great write up here, cant tell you just how much time and swearing this probably saved me!

I got my switch from skoda on saturday so I would assume its a newish version and as below, it didnt work until I fitted it without pushing the pedal down. Glow plug light went out after a very short time driving.

great guide.

just replaced my broken switch with a black switch from a skoda deale - £12.

it didn't work for us until we didn't push the pedal down when fitting the new switch.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just replaced this switch on my wifes Fabia (2004 1.4 16v). EPC warning light was on and no brake lights working. Bought the switch from gsfparts on E bay (you can specify exact vehicle details to get the right switch).

Followed this guide for fitting and it was brilliant. Thanks for taking the trouble to post it. Brake lights now all working. EPC light still lit though.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic guide, 15 mins and it was all off!

Was told around £200 job from the garage.

Although, my replacement switch is different.

It's black and the piston part that rests on the arm is plastic and doesn't pull out to reach the arm when the pedal is pressed.

When the pedals up, it's on there, and on there for the first centimeter or so of pedal movement, then it's not touching.

The parts shop said that the later model of the sensor (the black plastic one I have) still works the same.

I've also changed the back two bulbs because that's what it said on the diagnostic kit, new sensor and 2 new bulbs.

Going to look again and see if it will pull out if I try a bit harder, and hopefully not break it.

On the upside, if I do it's only 6 pound or so with my dads discount.  :clap:

e/ took it out, put it back as instructed and connected the wires.

Still doesn't work, and now I can't turn it anti clockwise to get it out, so I think I've broken it.  :dull:  :thumbdown:

Anyone got ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Edited by AdamOP94

Fantastic guide, 15 mins and it was all off!

Was told around £200 job from the garage.

Although, my replacement switch is different.

It's black and the piston part that rests on the arm is plastic and doesn't pull out to reach the arm when the pedal is pressed.

When the pedals up, it's on there, and on there for the first centimeter or so of pedal movement, then it's not touching.

The parts shop said that the later model of the sensor (the black plastic one I have) still works the same.

I've also changed the back two bulbs because that's what it said on the diagnostic kit, new sensor and 2 new bulbs.

Going to look again and see if it will pull out if I try a bit harder, and hopefully not break it.

On the upside, if I do it's only 6 pound or so with my dads discount.  :clap:

e/ took it out, put it back as instructed and connected the wires.

Still doesn't work, and now I can't turn it anti clockwise to get it out, so I think I've broken it.  :dull:  :thumbdown:

Anyone got ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Reading through this thread, I see you do what you refer to as 'black ones' without pressing the pedal.

I've took it out and re installed it numerous times, both pressing the pedal and not and still can't get it to work.

Please help me, haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd hope that you have got this sorted out by now, but, as Tech1e said, these latest (black with BIG top part), need to be fitted with the pedal in the top rested position. I was advised by my VW parts guy to fit it with the pedal down, if you do that, the internal plunger gets locked up in the wrong position - that advice was wrong!  By the way, it is said that these switched are "reusable" - ie get it out and try again, mine worked correctly second time, then I discovered how they are meant to get fitted on the "web"!

• 1 month later...

Excellent guide thank you. I was such a numbnuts though, I didn't know the switch was adjustable (because I didn't read the guide all the way through!) and my brake lights were left stuck on after I refitted the dash! Stupid "Yeah, it'll be alright" attitude! Had no-one to check or reflections to see, ended up leaning phone against tool bag to video my testing!!

Anyway sorted now! I guess this is just a reminder to follow the guide through if you are as stupid as me!  :notme:

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

Just replaced this switch on my wifes Fabia (2004 1.4 16v). EPC warning light was on and no brake lights working. Bought the switch from gsfparts on E bay (you can specify exact vehicle details to get the right switch).

Followed this guide for fitting and it was brilliant. Thanks for taking the trouble to post it. Brake lights now all working. EPC light still lit though.

i still have the epc light and same problem. does anyone have any ideas? should it sort itself out after driving a few mile or is it something a garage would have to fix. fyi, i have just hit 60,000 and due for a service so inspection light has just come on. could this be related?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk