DIY Fabia I Brake Light Switch Replacement

GrahamVRS

i changed the part as i could see that no brake lights and was only intermittent when pressing the brake pedal. after fiddling with the brake light switch it didnt need a genius to work out what the problem was. therefore the switch was replaces. as with the fault light this only came on at the same time the part failed. so really the part was changed because it had to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THIS EXHAUSTIVE GUIDE

I had an issue with brake lights, which used to stuck with lights on unexpectedly and this drained the battery. Although, took me a while to find the cause of that problem!  :devil:

Used this guide to replace the BLS; took me about 30min and didn't have to depress the brake pedal while installing the latter.  :cocktail:

• 3 months later...

Hi got a couple problems if anyone could help me out

My EPC light has been on and have had a few running problems i.e bit lumpy/strange idle, loss of power, longer start when hot... but no problems with brake lights.

There was only 1 fault showing up when read, which I was told was switch by brake pedal (annoyingly don't have fault code), so guessing it was this switch as can't find any others?

Thanks to this guide I've replaced brake light switch, however my brake lights are stuck on constantly now, I've tried several different ways of fitting with piston part all the way out and both pedal depressed and not depressed but no luck... lights stay on.

Anyone have any idea?

Also if the EPC fault was sorted with this switch, will the EPC light still be on and has to be cleared to get rid of it?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi got a couple problems if anyone could help me out

My EPC light has been on and have had a few running problems i.e bit lumpy/strange idle, loss of power, longer start when hot... but no problems with brake lights.

There was only 1 fault showing up when read, which I was told was switch by brake pedal (annoyingly don't have fault code), so guessing it was this switch as can't find any others?

Thanks to this guide I've replaced brake light switch, however my brake lights are stuck on constantly now, I've tried several different ways of fitting with piston part all the way out and both pedal depressed and not depressed but no luck... lights stay on.

Anyone have any idea?

Also if the EPC fault was sorted with this switch, will the EPC light still be on and has to be cleared to get rid of it?

Cheers

Edited:-  For fitting a new brake light switch, the one without the mushroomed end, see posting #7 - always buy new and always buy the latest version!

Edited by rum4mo

• 1 month later...

Great instructions, the photos really helped, thanks. Saved me a fair bit of money by doing it myself.

The only difference I found was that the switch I bought from Euro Car Parts (part no.464440060) was slightly different to the old one, for my 2007 Fabia, and had to be fitted with the brake pedal up, with the switch extended.

I used a bit of grease before fitting it, and filed down the lugs slightly, as it's a tight fit and I didn't want to break it. This helped and a with a 45 degree twist clockwise it snapped in perfectly.

Also, the glow plug light went out (had been flashing continuously) after I re-connected the battery.

• 1 month later...

Excellent Guide - thanks to all involved

Just bought a replacement (4 pin) switch from Euro Car Parts, and fitted it.

Problem is I've now gone from no brake lights to brake lights on all the time.  Instruction leaflet with part said to fit with plunger fully extended and it will auto-adjust (which it has done).

Glow plug light is still flashing as well.

Will this correct it self after a few miles of driving ?  Or do I need to reset/clear the fault code ?

Thanks

Mark

Edited by Cornish_Lad

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

thanks for this, great guide, very easy to follow.  I changed my switch using an ERA 330503, tried it first with the pedal held down but it didn't work so tried again without the pedal held down (i.e. I could take it out and reinstall it without holding the pedal down), and the second time it worked perfectly.  I'm pretty much a novice and saved myself at least €100 using this guide, thanks again!

Thanks for a great guide. I have a mk2 fabia and had the flashing glow plug light, found that only the high/third brake light was still working. Initially replaced bulbs, no change. Ran a diagnostic with a friends laptop and brake light switch was the error code that came back.

Replaced switch, nothing worked! Got refund on 'faulty' switch. Bought another, replaced, only high/third brake light working again. Removed and refitted all switch, removed and refitted bulbs, no change.

Anyone have any ideas?

On mk2 btw, it's a very easy process to change the switch, no trim to remove, just the polystyrene cover in the footwell.

When you initially tried new bulbs, did you definitely fit them in the correct positions? Were the ones you took out visibly blown? In other words, are you sure you didn't mistake the foglight/reversing light bulb positions for the brake lights?

As far as I can see, all three brake lights, each side and the high level, are in parallel. So if the high level one is working, so should the other two (if working bulbs are correctly installed in the appropriate holders).

Edited by Wino

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent guide, thanks for posting it.

I just replaced mine as the EPC light came on and when I checked I had no brake lights coming on (fuses and bulbs both A OK). Only issue was tracking down a part when I was away from home!

Only point I would raise for others is that the new type switches are different to fit - follow these instructions except no need to press the brake pedal down, the switch has to be fitted with the brake pedal in the "up" position.

Excellent guide, thanks for posting it.

I just replaced mine as the EPC light came on and when I checked I had no brake lights coming on (fuses and bulbs both A OK). Only issue was tracking down a part when I was away from home!

Only point I would raise for others is that the new type switches are different to fit - follow these instructions except no need to press the brake pedal down, the switch has to be fitted with the brake pedal in the "up" position.

Tut Tut, you should have read the full thread, the "pedal up" issue was covered in #7 by Tech1e and regurgitated by me in #22 and maybe again later!

When you initially tried new bulbs, did you definitely fit them in the correct positions? Were the ones you took out visibly blown? In other words, are you sure you didn't mistake the foglight/reversing light bulb positions for the brake lights?.

Erm... Thanks Wino

When you initially tried new bulbs, did you definitely fit them in the correct positions? Were the ones you took out visibly blown? In other words, are you sure you didn't mistake the foglight/reversing light bulb positions for the brake lights?.

Erm... Thanks Wino

Erm... Thanks Wino

Erm... Thanks Wino Seems I had replaced the wrong bulbs in the first place! Tbh I did think it was odd that the bulbs coming out didn't look blown, now I know why!

Anybody need a new brake light switch?!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

An excellent guide!

I just used this to replace my brake light switch in about 15 minutes.

A per Tech1e's post #7 the new style swich just goes into the holder with the pedal in the normal 'up' poisition, no need to press down.  Part number at the moment is 6Q0 945 511 (there is no A, B C....).  The one I got from the VW dealer was £13.  It's black and it has a white tip on the plunger.

Hardest bit is getting the lower dashboard back together.   Locate the metal clip at the bottom rear left over the corresponding metal bracket first and it makes things a lot easier.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this! Initially had the brake pedal down/up problem, but it worked when it was up. The part I bought was VW part 6Q0 945 511. It was not all black - there was some white on the plunger.