2.0TDi PD140 turbo dying (now How to upgrade to a hybrid turbo)

question, is it worth me doing all this to an engine that's already done 100k miles?

No, buy the Hybrid and I'll pay Shark to swap my turbo to your car and I'll have your Hybrid :giggle::D My OEM turbo has only done about 15k

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do some research on them first !!!

I think given Derv Doctor's quote I'll either be going with them or Shark depending on how competitive their quote is. Not heard a bad word about either of them.

I think given Derv Doctor's quote I'll either be going with them or Shark depending on how competitive their quote is. Not heard a bad word about either of them.

You won't hear a bad word about Shark, of that I'm sure...... :thumbup:

Apart from all their competitors. :thumbup:

You won't hear a bad word about Shark, of that I'm sure...... :thumbup:

Apart from all their competitors. :thumbup:

Yeah I've talked to Ben loads of times and he's always been a good bloke, also not a single bad review (that I can find) of his work. The only thing is wallet size, still waiting on the quote, I think they're having trouble getting quotes from suppliers.

I'm itching to get booked in though, really need this doing next week!

Edited by Antimus

So out of curiosity...

I read somewhere, and have been told, that if I'm getting a hybrid turbo, I should get a downpipe too.

Now I assume that means a large bore downpipe? What's the sort of cost for that?

Also if I want to do an aggressive remap, I need an uprated clutch, what's the sort of cost for that?

Is there anything else I should change in the long run? I'm pretty sure the intercooler is fine given what I've read, I don't plan on going for sports exhausts, well maybe not for a year or so anyway, how about air filters?

As you may be able to tell, I'm not exactly an expert in tuning, in fact I'm a noob

I don't plan on doing any of this now, trying to keep costs low now and turn it into a pet project. In fact I never planned on doing anything to this, just driving it for another 5 years then getting something better, but what with the turbo going and the options that opened up, I thought I might as well have some fun.

Edited by Antimus

So out of curiosity...

I read somewhere, and have been told, that if I'm getting a hybrid turbo, I should get a downpipe too.

Now I assume that means a large bore downpipe? What's the sort of cost for that?

Also if I want to do an aggressive remap, I need an uprated clutch, what's the sort of cost for that?

Is there anything else I should change in the long run? I'm pretty sure the intercooler is fine given what I've read, I don't plan on going for sports exhausts, well maybe not for a year or so anyway, how about air filters?

As you may be able to tell, I'm not exactly an expert in tuning, in fact I'm a noob

I don't plan on doing any of this now, trying to keep costs low now and turn it into a pet project. In fact I never planned on doing anything to this, just driving it for another 5 years then getting something better, but what with the turbo going and the options that opened up, I thought I might as well have some fun.

Clutch will be more heavily loaded & its life shortened. There are various after market clutches on the market & on VAG cars you can sometimes fit a better clutch from another more powerful model, Im guessing that may be an extra cost you need to alow for

Downpipes, bigger exhausts, bigger intercoolers etc etc will all improve the car but you need to look at power gains against pennies spent & also realise you will almost certainly not recoup your expenditure when you come to sell the car. Its worrth getting any mods done before the car is mapped to get the best out of them, if the same tuner is doing other work later they may be sympathetic to tweaking the map

Best advice I can give is build up a relationship with a tuner, take their advice & do all the work with them, that way they know your car & if anything dosent work you dont have tuner A blaming garage B etc

Another cost to look at is Insurance, firstly will your existing company insure a modded car & what are the costs etc.

Slightly off of your original thread but if spending a few hundreds on exhaust & downpipe gives marginal increases in power you will make your car go faster by spending the money on performance driving course & that mod once paid for is freely transferable to all future cars.

Welcome to the bottomless pit of modding by the way !!!

*groan* thanks

I keep reading places that fitting a hybrid turbo without a new downpipe is basically choking the turbo. Now honestly I don't really care about the extra performance at this very moment, just getting a working car again, but I don't want to reduce things like efficiency by not doing the whole job, but I also don't want to spend more money without having the need.

I'm really not interested in going all out on the engine bay and swapping all that, I just don't want to be wasting the money spent on the hybrid by not spending the extra to make the most out of it.

Clutch is definitely on my buy list, at which point I'll up the map, if a downpipe needs to go there too then so be it, but neither one are going to be done now if I can help it.

Edited by Antimus

Well that explains the lack of quote from Shark, Rob's off today :( he was doing my quote work.

Hopefully Ben will be able to help but otherwise Derv Doctor it is, hopefully he's still got time next week!

Downpipe upgrades are really for the turbo petrol.

A decat is a possibility for you, but I'd just leave it standard from the turbo back really, looking at what you've got and what you want the setup to do.

Downpipe upgrades are really for the turbo petrol.

A decat is a possibility for you, but I'd just leave it standard from the turbo back really, looking at what you've got and what you want the setup to do.

That's ok then! less of a dent on my wallet :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

from whenever I had a PD140, its recommended to upgrade your Downpipe when fitting a Hybrid, but not essential, basically depends how far you want to push the car, I think you will be fine without it TBH, as you seem to be not just hunting for power!

Ok, here we go.

Got the car back last Sunday, Ben needed to do some last minute tweaks so it took a bit longer to do, cracking bloke for coming in on a Sunday, much props.

Had a quick chat while I was there, got the STS set up and such, the map wasn't over the top due to my old clutch but he tried to keep the turbo lag to a minimum.

Driving the car afterwards, well, it's an almost entirely different beast now. It's a bigger turbo now so a bit more lag is expected, the power used to kick in around 1700-1800RPM before, it's not more like 2000-2100RPM so I'm having to get used to a bit more lag, but when it does kick in the torque comes in a big lump and the power with it, compared to before I believe my first words when using the pedal on the right to it's fullest was "holy crap" and there was nobody in the car, had a bit of a giggle at that point.

Slowly getting used to the new lag now, means more gear changing when I need to so I may invest in a short-shifter at some point.

Fuel economy, as far as I can tell is fairly similar to before, Haven't been doing my usual drives since I got it so hard to compare exactly, and of course I've got the "new car" heavy foot at the moment.

Very pleased with the results, the only small niggle is the lag but that can't really be helped, and it may be fixable with future mods I'm not sure (need to look into it) or I may just get used to it, for the first few days I clearly remember putting my foot down and not much happening, and that hasn't happened for a few days now so I'm definitely adapting.

Very much liking the extra power when needed, I'm still surprised how quickly the speedo moves in 3rd with the pedal floored, as are some of the people who have somehow been outperformed by a very standard looking Octavia.

I love sleepers

Edited by Antimus