The LED Lights Thread...

Evening all...

Spent most of today tinkering with the new toy and thought i would include some pics and a small write up in hope that it is of someone else.

I had some led bulbs lying around from the last few cars i have had and thought i would put them to some use.

First of all, a sight im sure you are familiar with, the standard yellow glow...

DSC03499.jpg

Prise the diffused plastic cover, from the edge nearest the windscreen...

DSC03505.jpg

A quick pull, and you should be left with this...

DSC03504.jpg

Pop some leds into the spaces and it should look like this...

DSC03516.jpg

Check the bulbs are insterted correctly, as they are polarity sensetive, replace the cover and admire your new bulbs...

DSC03513.jpg

DSC03540.jpg

They are now a much crisper, cleaner, whiter light.

Looks great when unlocked somewhere dark and the interior lights up!

Now lets continue onto the number plate lights...

First things first, we want those old yellow bulbs out of the number plate lights right!?

Lets assume you are in fact super cool, you agree and you wish to continue... Please read on...

NP1.jpg

Start off by undoing the two screws in the bulb holder casing with your T10 torx driver...

NP2.jpg

I found it easier to remove the housing from the wiring, just pinch the two tabs on the connector and pull... heave-ho!

NP3-4.jpg

You will notice these arent any old led bulbs, they need extra resistors so that the on board computer canbus system will see some resistance and assume there is still a regular bulb there...

Now because of the resistors, this will cause extra heat, i bought a set with heat sinks on the resistors, just because we have a plastic housing!

NP3.jpg

So... easy job, one out one in!

Again these are polarity sensetive, so trail and error on installation, although i like the odds of 50/50!

NP4.jpg

Replace the wiring connector, housing, and the two screws and take a gulp of tea... then do it again for the second one!

I have left the sidelights on for about 3hours on the drive now, and no heat transfer issues, going to keep an eye on them for a little while longer and pop one out just to check.

Oh... and no errors!!

DSC03486.jpg

Edited by marTTyn
  • Like 1

The mod can be done for an octavia...

May be different bulbs needed, pop the cover off and have a look?

Well the light unit looks identical in my Octavia to your Fabia. Next time I'm in the car will take a look, but definitely going to do this mod :)

And I'll do the same to the rear light unit as well :thumbup:

Haha, I bet!

There are two bootlights in the Octavia boot, think they'll get the treatment as well - though not sure if they are CANBUS related or not...

Is there any detriment to the car to fit these bulbs?

Cheers

No errors on canbus with any interior lights.

No problem with heat unless a resistor is needed...

(which in this case it is not)

I have had the doors/boot open for aroun 10min with no issues.

Only consideration is that cheap LEDs will not last a long time.

OK just took a look at my interior - couldn't get the covers off.

Doesn't matter, I've got a trim removal tool.

Think I might go around and do a full list of lights and do a full overhaul over the weekend :)

Hi stu they look fine they should work fine, I'm definate doing this mod to both my fabia's having trouble choosing the DRLS due to mine being non VRS so canbus I don't understand which ones to get P21W

Hi stu they look fine they should work fine, I'm definate doing this mod to both my fabia's having trouble choosing the DRLS due to mine being non VRS so canbus I don't understand which ones to get P21W

Cheers, thought so.

I vote this topic to be sticky.

There are plenty of aftermarket DRL's available, not sure about Fabia specific ones though. Might need some modification to make them work.

Check the bulbs are insterted correctly, as they are polarity sensetive, replace the cover and admire your new bulbs...

id there any marking on the led's and the thing you insert into to show which side is positive and negative?