PTC (Auxiliary) Heater for Quicker Heating in Winter

Crocket

Not sure it'd be possible to control??

3rd party heated seat retrofitting might be a more straight forward option? Always used to cheer my backside up on a chilly morning!

As you know it takes forever for the vRS to warm up in winter... Do you think it would be possible to get something like this retrofitted?

http://www.golfmkv.c...ad.php?t=113468

I think I've found a part number for the Polo: 6Q0963235

Perhaps better off with one of these...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36513

Though really that requires an attached garage or a timer circuit in your garage to start it off.

J.

Cool.

Would be handy I guess and nice to have instant heat.

Just make sure your battery and alternator are in top condition!

Going to have a look for the Ibiza and see if there's one.

Phil

Been looking at this thread and other threads to do with this. I have found a few on the German eBay such as this:-

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Polo-9N-Skoda-Fabia-Zusatzheizung-Heizung-6Q0963235B-/160595053654?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item2564360c56

I noticed it has the wiring and a connector

But wondering if the Fabia's have the wiring in place for it or for the connectors?

Also this document shows its location a little clearer as I was struggling to find where it would be located other than in the center console:-

http://www.skodafabiaclub.com/technikaiinfok/muszaki_leirasok/SSP_032_4.pdf

Think I'll pull apart the center console tonight to see if there is any wiring for it... hopefully there should be if it's fitted to vehicles abroad.

If anyone buys one - there are two models listed on eBay with same part number but the plastic shroud looks different from the Fabia 6J to the Polo 9N ones...

Guest BigJase88

If it goes anywhere near the heater matrix id forget it! Dash out job

I did a dash out job on a bloody crappy saxo and it took me all day and i wasnt showing any care.... (kicking the dash back into place lol)

Edited by BigJase88

If it goes anywhere near the heater matrix id forget it! Dash out job

I did a dash out job on a bloody crappy saxo and it took me all day and i wasnt showing any care.... (kicking the dash back into place lol)

Looking through the body manuals and where the PTC heater is located... seems quite straight forward.

Center console needs to be removed (6 screws), then you can remove the plastic near the footwell.

Just not sure where to plug in the PTC heater now... hopefully the loom will support it!

Edited by Crocket

If you do manage to sort it out,be sure to post pics and a guide as I myself would be very interested in this mod.

Managed to get to the heater matrix, only a 20 minute job really! Only 6 screws to remove center console.

http://sziget.mine.n...Conditionat.pdf

See page 34 & 36 for PTC fitting/location.

Mine has turned up and is the correct part... Just need to find out where it plugs into! (Haven't fully removed the matrix housing yet) - Job for weekend.

On page 44 it describes the PTC heater connecting into the vehicles wiring loom on left hand side but with no picture!

Edited by Crocket

I can't seem to find a connector? I've checked around the heater matrix/under the steering column.

Surely there can't be a seperate loom for this!

Can anyone help?

Edited by Crocket

From what I've found ripping Fabia's apart.. they were quite hot on not installing cables where they're not a commonly fitted part.. It's like the factory heated seats.. there's almost no trace of those in a car without it specced..CD changers the same story, no cabling installed what so ever unless specced at build.

If you can't find a loom, does it not just need power to work? Could ya hook it up to a switch blank and control it manually?

You could I guess, although bit of a poor solution :(

Can't be that difficult to wire it up OEM style - finding out wiring diagrams is the hardest :(

ETKA lists an Air Conditioning loom with a 'PTC / Auxilary heater connection' but it's for Manual (No Air Con). There is a RHD and LHD loom for it too!

I was thinking of buying it to figure out the wiring, but at £130+ for the loom might be a waste of money...

Edited by Crocket

How is it controlled? Is it on until the coolant is up to temp or is it simply a timer circuit from the ignition? Cuz a timer circuit running off the switching power would be easy to knock up.

With a bit more tech ya could knock up a thermostatic switch... tweaking and thermostat placement would need some thought though...

I'll be honest, I really didn't think this would go anywhere, but now you've found an OEM part, I'm intrigued to know it if could be hooked up alla' bodge.

Quote from the other forum:

Notes:

The heater works very well. It was about -5 outside today and I had warm air in about 30 seconds and hot air in about 1 minute. A few days ago it was -20 or so and in about 2 minutes I had hot air.

Some criteria needs to be met before the heater will turn on. For example: The engine must be running and above about 700 RPMs, the alternator load must be below a certain percent, and your heater temperature setting has to be past a certain point. Once your coolant temperature reaches 75C the heater turns off.

The heater will adjust its output based on the alternator load. For example: idling with your headlights on will limit the output to about 600W. When you are driving the heater will go to a 1000W output.

So it must get a signal from the heating loom somewhere to switch on and control the heat.

Looking at ETKA again there doesn't seem to be a seperate fuse or relay for the PTC heater, theoretically the correct (air conditioning with PTC heater) loom is all that is required... no additional control unit etc.

• 3 weeks later...

...It's getting a fair bit cooler now... and It's only gonna get colder.. You must be tempted to hook it straight up on to a power source, (with a decent fuse & switch of course)?? Can just have the switch in the drivers side glove box or something until you get in installed properly.. no need to hack the dash about.

Controlling it manually, Just to see how effective it is and enjoy it now it's in it's OEM position.. I've gotta admit, If I start using my car on winter mornings again I'd seriously consider this, though hooking into the switched live feed rather than the permanent would be the clever way to do it... It'd only take one forgetful morning to end up with a VERY flat battery at the end of the day.