Show us your winter wheels

Hopefully this will be a picture thread with a purpose.

I have just fitted some Audi wheels with winter tyres and found the buying of the wheels a little difficult - I just did not know what they would look like on. eBay is full of suitable wheels, mainly from Audi's so that is what I plumped for - bog standard SE Spec. (Speedline) wheels.

As it turns out I quite like them on, not quite like it could have left the factory like it, but not far off. I had to remove the Audi rings and fill-n-spray the centers but they look better for it IMO.

So an opportunity for you boy-scouts out there (be prepared) - show off your winter wheel choice so others can decide what to try and secure on eBay.

Here are mine......

i-q6dQ759-M.jpg

*edit* this will hopefully keep the winter-tyres thread on-topic.

Edited by foo

Spooky! I was just going to post my pics then saw your post.

I bought some old 16" Audi A4 wheels on ebay in the summer for £100 & have just had them refurbed for £160 at Romax in Stockton to take the winter tyres.

Mine are 16"x7J ET45 PCD5x112 with 205x55R16 tyres (Kumho KW23)

IMG_3829.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

I've just got to get new nut covers for the locking wheel nuts with them being round instead of hex - or paint the old one to match the new set I fitted.

Hat's off to Tyre Spot in Gateshead. I got the set of Kumho's for £300. Inclusive of that they have taken the old tyres off the pre-refurb Audi wheels & disposed of them (saving me £40 on the refurb cost & a trip to the tip), fitted the new tyres to the wheels & fitted to the car & are storing my Proteus wheels until the spring when they will de-tyre them prior to their refurb (gotta get rid of that crap original finish!) saving me another £40 & then refit to the car. (I will also be buying 2 new summer tyres then)

What size are your's Foo? They look bigger than my 16"

Not fitting mine until Nov although I may live to regret it! Secondhand Yeti Spitzbergs with 225/50R17 Dunlop Wintersport 4D.

Now I can't wait to see that! Spitzbergs on a Scout! Nice one!

Here's mine. Audi A4 wheels (£165 off ebay) before I had the winter tyres put on. Will be putting the wheels on for real early November I think.

The car looks a bit high on the pics as it wasn't moved following being jacked up.

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2969a.jpg

Here's one with the winter tyres on; I went for Goodyear Ultragrip 8+ (~£98 each delivered).

utf-8BSU1BRzA2NzguanBn.jpg

Edited by Guest

Must have been a pretty penny in winter rubber costs Nick, with 18s?

£350 - not too bad really :thumbup:

EDIT - That was last October. Same tyres cost £550 for the set now. Madness!

I may be wrong but if you to have an accident in the bad weather and the insurance company came to assess the damage to your car with these winter wheels fitted would they not get out of paying up as it would be classed as a modification?.

Edited by Mark1967

I may be wrong but if you to have an accident in the bad weather and the insurance company came to assess the damage to your car with these winter wheels fitted would they not get out of paying up as it would be classed as a modification?.

This is discussed elsewhere. Mine say they are ok so long as they match manufacturer spec. Which they do. YMMV.

Elengance wheels and Avon Ice Touring ST tyres:

14112010152.jpg

I like the wheels but they look a bit lost in the arches. Are these 7J? What's the offset?

Nick P, You make me feel sad. I'm not going skiing this year & your picture has made me feel v/sad because I've remembered how much fun the snow can be. :'( I gotta go next season instead.

That pic was taken at the entrance to the forest up the road from my house last November when I went snowboarding up there :) . I'm not getting to the Alps this season either. First time I've not gone in years. :(

This is discussed elsewhere. Mine say they are ok so long as they match manufacturer spec. Which they do. YMMV.

Insurance is my concern on this as well (hence have bought some 225/50 17 to transfer onto the standard Proteus wheels, probably at the end of the month). So from what you say the wheels you have bought are an exact match for these which is interesting, as the only one's I can seem to be able to find have either different widths or offset, which I am concerned the insurance company would see as a modification. Seems I need to find some like yours (doesn't seem any chance of getting a cheap set of spare proteus wheels !!).