Show us your winter wheels

205/55 R16 is the best match for 225/45 R17. This year I've put 205/60 R16 on my steels as it's a better match for 225/50 R17. Not 'approved' but matches the manufacturers wheel size which keeps my ground clearance.

For a Skoda Octavia Scout you need...

Wheel:

A PCD of 5 x 112 (5 bolts, each with a 112mm diameter)

ET54 (offset which is the distance between the centreline of the wheel and the plane of the hub mounting surface of the wheel).

7J x 17 H2 (a 7 inch wide wheel rim with a 17 inch diameter).

Tyre:

225/45/ R17 91W

225 = tyre width

45 = tyre profile (height)

R17 = (radial) to fit a 17 inch wheel

91 = load rating

W = speed rating

A lot of people go for a smaller 16 inch wheel size as this allows for cheaper tyres and a higher profile tyre - ideal for absorbing the roughness of a winter road surface as well as maintaining the rolling radius of a standard 17" wheel (for accurate speedo readings).

Skoda recommend the following wheel and tyre in 16"...

205/55 R16 91H 6J (or 6.5J) x 16 H2 with an offset of ET50.

Loads on eBay, do you want black steel wheels (cheaper, bend rather than break but rust) or alloys (better resistance against corosion, look nicer but cost more to buy)?

Or for a hassle free option you can get a set of steel wheels fitted with 205/55/16 tyres from several companies such as Mytyres, looking at about £100/corner for Avon Ice Touring ST (I used these the last winters and they seemed pretty good), or £130 ish for Winter Contact TS850 (consistently in the top 2 or 3 of all reviews I've seen and seem very grippy on mine this winter.

Edited by RizzoTheRat

Or for a hassle free option you can get a set of steel wheels fitted with 205/55/16 tyres from several companies such as Mytyres, looking at about £100/corner for Avon Ice Touring ST (I used these the last winters and they seemed pretty good), or £130 ish for Winter Contact TS850 (consistently in the top 2 or 3 of all reviews I've seen and seem very grippy on mine this winter.

Thanks for all your input, I really appreciate it......am now more clued up. I like the hassle free option as I am pushed for time. So may well go this route. Will have to get some wheel trims for the steels as well. Will let you know. Thanks again

I think I need to learn German or hassle our IT department to leave google Translate out of our proxy avoidance settings :D

Pneus-tyres-online, oponeo, tyremen and a few other may also be worth a look.  A few people on another forum are finding some companies are having delays getting stock of some tyres at the moment.

Audi A3 Alloys 16" x 6.5J, ET50, PCD 5 x 112 fitted to a scout. Running Hankook 205/55 Winter tyres

Look good those Bogwoppit - suit the Scout better than the vRS I think.

My winters are off for refurb today, ready for fitting later this week. I know, some will no doubt question why I'm getting them in perfect nick for winter, but I bought them as a scabby set and the existing guy's DIY refurb paint is hanging off, so I really can't manage with them like that for another season :)

Well back on page 7 I posted pics of my car on these Audi A3 winters a couple of years back;

winter4.jpg

After that winter I thought I was going to sell the car so I sold the winter wheels..... I then decided the car was staying but didn't get round to buying new winters last year.

This year I got organised nice and early and bought some mk2 TT rims which were in need of a refurb. After I sold the cheapo tyres they came with, the wheels ended up costing me £4!!

One professional refurb in anthracite, numerous coats of Wolfs Rim shield and four new Contis later, this is how they look fitted to the vRS;

null_zpsf17fd5da.jpg

null_zpsde555fbf.jpg

Wider rims than the old ones and a lower offset means they sit much better in the arches.

Tyres are 225/45/17's.

I'm pleased with them, much better than running around on halfords wheel trims for 5 months! ;)

• Like 3

They really suit the car IMO, they are the only std wheels the TT came with that I hate on a TT.... but on the vRS it's a different story... very nice!

Cheers Gizmo, I'm the same actually, they don't look great on the TT but suit the Octy as a winter option.

I looked at as many OEM mk5 platform wheels as I could find and I think these are probably the best choice of 17's for the Octy with them being a similar design to the Neptunes but a lower offset so they fill the arches.

Looking forward to seeing yours too Steve- similar sort of colour to mine then?

Ditto on all accounts! See a few TTs around here with them and always think they don't suit the car, especially in the std Audi silver finish, and look much better on a Skoda :D

I had the same aims as you, and these were pretty much ideal. I couldn't see a better option in 17", across the whole VAG range. As I run ET42 8J in the summer, keeping the same width and moving in slightly to ET47 was spot-on for me :thumbup:

Now the secret's out though :p

Yep, they should look pretty similar colour-wise. Hopefully I'll have them on later today and I'll take a few snaps.

Cheers,
Steve

Going for a similar colour to how they arrived with me. Annoyingly the actual paint finish was good quality, but the wheel face hadn't been prepped properly, so the paint was coming off in large flakes when I cleaned them  :wall:

This was them last year:

offside.jpg

For a Skoda Octavia Scout you need...

Wheel:

A PCD of 5 x 112 (5 bolts, each with a 112mm diameter)

ET54 (offset which is the distance between the centreline of the wheel and the plane of the hub mounting surface of the wheel).

7J x 17 H2 (a 7 inch wide wheel rim with a 17 inch diameter).

Tyre:

225/45/ R17 91W

225 = tyre width

45 = tyre profile (height)

R17 = (radial) to fit a 17 inch wheel

91 = load rating

W = speed rating

A lot of people go for a smaller 16 inch wheel size as this allows for cheaper tyres and a higher profile tyre - ideal for absorbing the roughness of a winter road surface as well as maintaining the rolling radius of a standard 17" wheel (for accurate speedo readings).

Skoda recommend the following wheel and tyre in 16"...

205/55 R16 91H 6J (or 6.5J) x 16 H2 with an offset of ET50.

Loads on eBay, do you want black steel wheels (cheaper, bend rather than break but rust) or alloys (better resistance against corosion, look nicer but cost more to buy)?

Edited by stevo1

Hello again..........Think I have found the right ones with winter tyres, could be less than £100 per corner (if the bidding doesn't kick off too much)... would these be a decent buy ?

Yes they will be perfect, I have personally used those tyres and you will not be disappointed with their performance (I am sold on Nokian winter tyres)

I would however remove the link so you don't end up bidding against another Briskodian lol.

• Like 1

Yes they will be perfect, I have personally used those tyres and you will not be disappointed with their performance (I am sold on Nokian winter tyres)

I would however remove the link so you don't end up bidding against another Briskodian lol

Edited by stevo1

I would however remove the link so you don't end up bidding against another Briskodian lol.

If you could edit the link out...would appreciate it. :sweat: