Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

QUOTE :

""Sorted this on one door the other day. Unfortunately they all leak! All I did was run some bathroom sealant round the carrier. Window has gone a bit mad now though, goes down when it should be going up!""

Have you put the window swich round the wrong way ........

What part leaks "the carrier" anyone got a pic of a carrier...what does the carrier do...

So when 98% of members have leaky doors, they shouldnt visit the dealer to get them fixed - you should go to the doctors and ask for a psycologist because we are all seeing things..:rofl:

Indeed! Skoda's official response to leaky doors is...

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to learn that you have been experiencing water ingress into your Fabia.

The three year manufacturers warranty is in place to cover any manufacturing or material defects, the first two years are unlimited mileage with the third year up to 60,000 miles.

I can confirm that there is no known type of defect of this nature with the Skoda Fabia and therefore vehicles were not recalled to have alternative seals fitted.

If your Fabia requires door seal replacement again within a reasonable time frame outside of the warranty period we would look favourably upon claim of this nature.

I can confirm that there is no known type of defect of this nature with the Skoda Fabia.

That's b0ll0cks. I've seen the TSB's.

If there weren't a problem why would they be offering to assist in out of warranty claims.

Funny this should crop up, as I spent quite some time taking out all of the carpets from my Fabia, all soaked. Both rear footwells, and the front passenger footwell. I think the front one is due to a grommet missing from a previous power cable for a sub, but this explains the rear leaking. Looked at the repair instructions, and i think i'll let the dealer fix it with my expert skills :rofl:

Interesting how Skoda claim that it is and isn't a recognised problem, both at the same time!!!

Having fixed (bodged) mine myself, it looks to me as though there's an issue with either the seal design and/or the sealing material. If you'll excuse the poor-quality and only vaguely-accurate diagram:

fabia_door_leak.JPG

The door carrier is designed such that there is a section where water tends to collect. Because the water collects in direct contact with the seal, it means that the sealing material is constantly immersed when it rains. When I was sorting out my door, it seemed that the seal was made of neoprene or similar, which while being very spongy and thus ideal for making a seal airtight, it isn't actually waterproof so is completely useless at keeping water out! A little gutter spot-welded to the carrier just above where the seal sits would prevent the sealing material being constantly immersed, otherwise a rubber seal like around the inside edge of the door opening would keep the water out. Why it isn't done like that, I can't even guess!!!

While we're at it, take care when removing the door panels - the little neoprene o-ring that sits on the green plastic clip is the only thing keeping the water out of yet another set of holes in the Fabia's doors!!!

Wonder if Mil or Basil have this problem!?! :D

Me too! Just out of warranty. Dealer quote- "Oh yes, we have a kit for this problem but we are at one now and can't fit you in before Thursday" "A known problem, but not a fault because not all Fabias are affected" Quoted £140 for all four doors. Honest John calls it an old VAG problem. Frank H

Something I doubt I'll ever understand is how Skoda get such consistently high ratings in surveys like JD Power, and why the car magazines wet themselves over how good the Fabia is when:

A) Skoda UK try and fob everything off when you have a fault.

B) The Fabia has an awful warranty claim statistic which rules it out of any 'good buy' recommendation for the sensible.

Just had to go into the back of my 53 reg SDi estate - water sitting on the top of the rubber seals around both back doors and then noticed the same on both front doors :(

Is this the same problem that everyone else is getting or have i managed to find a new problem with the door seals??

since sprog wound rear window down (probably for the first time in the cars life) i have now noticed wet door card from approx 2/3 way down and a damp mat / carpet. Can this be the puddled water being disturbed by the window motion, or is it likely to be a permaent problem every time it rains from now until i get it fixed? (under warrenty) The car is 7 months old and i have checked the carpets regularly after rain/ washing and this is the first time I have noticed any ingress. tia

Too true... I spoke with a spectacularly unpleasant, patronising and unhelpful Skoda customer services bloke a few days ago as I am having a number of problems with both my 2003 Fabia estates. Skoda is in fact aware of this problem (there's a bespoke repair kit) but they don't see it as a design bug, and I have to pay for the repair. I also have rust on one of the front set rails, but again Skoda UK sees this as wear and tear and not their responsibility. Apparently, if you insist on adjusting your front seats to allow more or less leg room, you will cause paint to flake and it will rust. So now you know.

I've got the same problem ( i think) and have done some digging around on this site and other vw/seat sites. Couple of questions

1. I have found a code for the sealing cord, AKD49701004R10, does this ring any bells to anyone?

2. I've also heard the door trim clips break easily. I've got a code for these off a seat site, 3B0868243. Does anyone know if this code is the same as the skoda parts and if not do they know what the part number is? (I've looked on vagcat and cant find them)

Cheers

Just spotted mine has done this in the rear footwells... car still has a couple of years worth or warranty left :thumbup: However... I had some dynamat left over from doing the front doors, so I matted the rears, so am wondering if the warranty will cover the repair ? any thoughts ?

Feel like a right spanner now :thumbdwn:

well i took my car to dealership and had them replace heater motor and door seals and gave them details about the skoda warranty, a week before i took the car in, so all the work could be carried out without issue.

i turn up to collect keys and drive off but im told although all the work has been carried out, skoda warranty will not pay for the door seals job! they expected me to fork out £200, including a discount no less, for the work already carried out. after the initial shock, i calmly explained that at no point was i told it would not be covered and that i certainly would not have authorised the work had i known it would cost me £200.

in the end they decided that they would not charge me and they would take it up with the warranty people themselves. i think they had just assumed it would be covered until they phoned to get final confirmation and complete the job sheet.

morale of the story is to check very carefully with your dealership with these pesky door seals :rolleyes:

oh and the icing on the cake of this escapade was finding one of my tires completely flat as im about to get in the car :eek: turns out there's a hole in the tyres inner sidewall that, according to them, must of occurred somewhere between leaving mechanics and being valeted. they were quite apologetic and sorted getting a new tyre fitted at their cost. :thumbup:

Am pretty much expecting that I will have to pay.... due the fact I've dynamatted the doors.... but i will not be paying up if they do the work without authorizing the costs. I am getting another warranty job done at the same time.. the dash instrument cluster cover has cracked and the dash behind rattles under acceleration.

Am pretty much expecting that I will have to pay.... due the fact I've dynamatted the doors.... but i will not be paying up if they do the work without authorizing the costs. I am getting another warranty job done at the same time.. the dash instrument cluster cover has cracked and the dash behind rattles under acceleration.

If this happens out side the warranty, take a peek at this:

Creak fix

i am also taking my car to wilks in darlo tomorrow to get my seals looked at, also my rear squirter isnt working, and i am getting a bit of rust on the rear boot, however it looks like the previous owner has knocked it some how so dont think i can blag it!

Fingers crossed all will be fine, and i am not paying a penny, dont see why i should when its a design fault.

I also get a little rattle from behind the dash when accellerating, my bring this up when i drop it in!

Found this morning that my rear doors are leaking on both sides. I had some paperwork laying in one footwell and was sitting in the back on the other side. When I got out, noticed a wet footprint. Checked the carpet and it was wet. Checked other side and although carpet felt dry, the paperwork felt damp and showed signs of having been wet. Never noticed the problem before (55 plate) but it is going in for it's 60,000 mile service tomorrow so will have it looked at.

Also developed a "bonk" occasionally from the front suspension somewhere, so will get bushes checked out.

Pedal rubber on clutch has broken away again!

Never had these issues with Ford Fiesta or Vauxhall Corsa, but they were not as much fun to drive.

Chris

To GinG.

The washer pipe joins have probably come apart. Mine failed in 3 different places over time. The middle one will wet your rear passenger side carpet.

Door seal

Can someone explain what the official sealing stuff looks and feels like? I have some Arboseal, which is a building sealer in long strips of 1/8” diameter. Its feels much like plumber’s mait and does not harden over time. Problem is that in winter it’s quite viscous so if I remove the carrier again it is liable to bend the aluminum permanently.

Also I put the sealer inside the line of the old Skoda sealer, rather than remove the Skoda stuff is the official way as recommended elsewhere on this site. Anyone know whether this might be the reason mine is apparently not sealing anymore?