Warning: Fabia Door Leaks

My front driver's door has always leaked a small amount. Coming through like anything now though. Planning on installing some speakers in the near future so holding off till I have the speakers I want etc.

I used "DENZO TAPE" on my 03 Fabia Estate and it sorted it however i now need to seal the front doors and i have front electric windows any help in removing the front door cards would be good please ?? also my wife has a Fabia VRs 56 plate and thats got same problem!!

• Like 1

Just fixed mine, very easy took less than one hour for both doors. Followed the earlier link instructions from the start of this stream. I didnt use the expensive skoda kit, just a tube of tiger seal from Bullseye car parts.

• 1 month later...

Got this on my 04 Fabia - car smells!

I also have water on the seals of my front doors - can you take them off the same as the fronts? Only difference is my front doors have eletric window controls on them

I also bought this stuff to seal with but it says don't use when wet. Can I risk it? Its been dry today and hopefully tomorrow so might be dry enough.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-roof-gutter-sealant-black-310ml/67521

I think you'll find when you get the door card off, and push the panel in, some water will come out.

Fronts are probably easier to do than the back. Main difference is the screws under the pocket.

I also bought this stuff to seal with but it says don't use when wet. Can I risk it? Its been dry today and hopefully tomorrow so might be dry enough.

http://www.screwfix....ack-310ml/67521

It might be dry enough after a few days in mid-summer in full sun... The problem is that the OEM sealing strip is foam and really holds onto water. More of a problem if like my car you have riveted door carriers which weren't originally fitted properly meaning the foam wasn't compressed sufficiently.

I'm surprised if gutter sealant has a moisture clause - I'd have thought it might have been OK - however as always I'll recommend Plumbers Gold which cures in damp conditions.

I bought one of these cos I didn;t wantto have to forkout for a gun too.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/unibond-easy-smooth-all-purpose-sealant-white-200ml/27485

Did the trick on one door the other is still moist but the other side still gets moist carpets but i'm pretty sure it's down to my crap technique

...but i'm pretty sure it's down to my crap technique

More likely to be down to crap mastic I'm sorry to say...

Firstly mate I hope you didn't pay £10.99 for a tube of white mastic.

I get it for £1.79 through my trade supplier. That's daylight robbery :o

Secondly, if it's silicone based it won't have stuck properly unless the area

you stuck it to was 100% bone dry. Also silicone doesn't really stick well

to zinc coatings. Unfortunately, the ancillaries carrier is galvanised with a zinc

coating. If it really smelt of vinegar then it was silicone based.

If it's acrylic based (some 'all purpose' sealants are) then it's not really ideal

for regular contact with high amounts of moisture and is again unlikely to have

stuck at all it the sealed area was damp. The point of acrylic is that is watersoluble

when wet and is over paintable once dry. Painters caulk is the same stuff.

I have been using this stuff recently with my work and I have to say

I'd probably use this if I ever sealed another car door.

I recently fixed a leaking soil pipe using this gear, works a treat.

http://www.arco.co.uk/products/4482200

Any more than about 5-7 quid and you are being overcharged

for it.

Just did mine.

I used this stuff -

Geocel Trade Mate Roofers Seal Black 310ml

Hope it works!

I did the fronts and back. Broke a couple of those green clips but most of them went back on and the doors are secure.

On the front drivers side door I have btoken the door mirror controller though - need to glue it back on as the clips broke!

it srated raining straight after so I hope it hasn't affected things.

Is there any way I can test to see if it is working? Or do I just wait?

Obviously there will be a lot of water in the carpets which may take a long tiem to go away - presumably this wil ladd to misting even if my seals are fixed.

I plan to go over the car tomorrow with a hairdryer to dry it out a little but someone tells me there is foam underneath that will soak up the water.

There's fairly thick underfelt under the rear footwell - that might dry out in time, particulary if hastened by a hair-dryer. However the underfelt at the front is rubber topped and I found the only solution was to take it out and prop it over the boiler to dry it out - that meant taking the seats out...

I had mine repaired by skoda (twice) but now my o/s rear is leaking once again.... unfortunately my carrier's are riveted on too. I've tried plastering it with plumbers gold but still the water pours in! I can only guess the problem for me is that I am try to sealing over the previous repair that skoda carried out. Should I be trying to remove the old sealant skoda used (whatever it was) first? What can I get it off with? It's absolutely plastered in stuff....

Hi guys,

I've just got back from test driving an 05 Fabia VRS,

Very nice car it was, but I was very disappointed to find that the whole rear seat (bench & back) were very wet especially were they meet, and the carpets in the rear were also soaked.

In your experience is this because of the door carrier leaks?

Having read all 617 replies I have not read anyone mention wet seats.

The owner has said that he hasn't driven the car for nearly 6 weeks and it has been raining constantly.

The car is located in a known flood area which was recently on the news because the area was underwater so I'm worried that it could be flood damage.

If its the door carrier I could make a reduced offer and do the diy fix and dry the car out, if its flood damage I'm walking away.

I can only guess the problem for me is that I am try to sealing over the previous repair that skoda carried out. Should I be trying to remove the old sealant skoda used (whatever it was) first? What can I get it off with? It's absolutely plastered in stuff....

I removed as much as possible of the previous sealant and the foam strip - dug it all out with a screwdriver. You don't have to worry about being too careful as it'll all be hidden again once removed. You have to get a recess to get the sealant in in order for the sealant to perform properly - just spreading it over something already there isn't going to work.

Very nice car it was, but I was very disappointed to find that the whole rear seat (bench & back) were very wet especially were they meet, and the carpets in the rear were also soaked.

I too can't recall anyone mentioning wet seats - the path of moisture ingress through leaking door carriers is lower than the bottom edge of the seats.

You might check the spare wheel well and the toolkit (inside the spare wheel) for any evidence in there but your prognostication (ie flooding) sounds a possible source of the dampness. It might be a leaking tailgate seal I suppose.

Edited by DRJ

I too can't recall anyone mentioning wet seats - the path of moisture ingress through leaking door carriers is lower than the bottom edge of the seats.

You might check the spare wheel well and the toolkit (inside the spare wheel) for any evidence in there but your prognostication (ie flooding) sounds a possible source of the dampness. It might be a leaking tailgate seal I suppose.

Thanks for the reply

Checked in the boot and the carpet was dry, underneath the carpet there was a very thin layer of water with no puddle in the spare wheel well,

The car was parked quite steeply uphill which may have led to the water being soaked up by the carpet and into the rear seat.

Also forgot to mention that when I got there the boot was open, not wide open just not closed properly, now I'm wondering if moisture could have got in there because the owner who is in london said it must have been open like that for 6 week, or it was left open on purpose to try and stop excess condensation.

I am going to get another look at the car at the weekend I hope and check the doors etc, because I didn't find this site/forum until I had returned from the test drive.

Edited by Adam_

The car was parked quite steeply uphill

Ah.......I was going to ask was it parked pointing steeply uphill.

That being the case, then water could possibly run toward the bottom of the seat cushions on the plastic trim just inside the rear car door.

Ah.......I was going to ask was it parked pointing steeply uphill.

That being the case, then water could possibly run toward the bottom of the seat cushions on the plastic trim just inside the rear car door.

I spoke to the owner and he has blamed his mum. saying she had left the boot open.

He said he's going to dry (get his mum to dry it out) this week. so I'm going back to look again on Saturday and see what its like.

I also told him to park it down hill and tape his windows up........don't know if he will take the advice though.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh joy. Looks like I'm going to have to do this too.

Trim tools ordered, now to decide on what sealant to use.

I presume (having jumped a few pages) that if mine's rivetted that i can drill them out, seal and rivet them up again no problem..?